U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-10-2009, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 18,716 times
Default EB Benefits in Georgia

ALL my unemployment benefits ran out in April 2009, but I have kept certifying each week just in case DOL started EB program on May 25 as all assumed. Just went in to certify and here is message:

Legislation authorizing payment of state extended unemployment benefits was signed into law by the Governor on April 21, 2009. The Georgia Department of Labor immediately began the implementation process by identifying individuals that may be qualified to receive these benefits. Eligibility notification will be sent by mail to all potentially eligible individuals on May 8, 2009. In addition, the department is aggressively initiating programming changes to facilitate the application process. An online State Extended Benefit application will be available as of May 22, 2009. Please continue to visit our website for updates on the state extended unemployment benefits program.
If you are currently receiving benefits and exhaust your claim, you may be entitled to Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) benefits. Continue to certify each week, there is no need to call or visit your career center to file your claim. Your extension of benefits will automatically be processed.
On February 17, 2009, President Obama signed Public Law 111-5, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, which provides a temporary supplement of $25 a week for individuals who are eligible to receive Unemployment Insurance benefits, effective week ending date February 28, 2009. The last payable week for the supplement is week ending date July 3, 2010.
The new law does not include provisions for additional extended benefits beyond Second Tier EUC.

Last line scares me because I was told this would be a tier 3 benefits and here they are saying nothing for those who ran out of tier 2 benefits...
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 08:05 AM

2,365 posts, read 7,458,181 times
Well, I would not Worry about the last line! Why? Because as long as your State has decided to sign on to the Trigger Emergency Benefits, then you shoud be fine.

Your next worry is whether you are one of the lucky few, that meets their deadlines.

You will just have to wait the approx. 2 weeks for the letter and if you don't get it, follow -up and ask.

Regarding the last line, I would not worry about the semantics of Tier II or Tier III, since States are using Teir III to describe their Emergency Benefits even though the Federal Govt. said their would be NO Tier III.

So, it makes it very difficult to talk sensibly about all of this stuff, if states start using their own lingo to describe benefit tiers.

Now, I just ignore the Tier I, II, III crap, and just concentrate on Regular, EUC and EB!

good luck with the EB!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdep4890 View Post
ALL my unemployment benefits ran out in April 2009, but I have kept certifying each week just in case DOL started EB program on May 25 as all assumed. Just went in to certify and here is message:

Legislation authorizing payment of state extended unemployment benefits was signed into law by the Governor on April 21, 2009. The Georgia Department of Labor immediately began the implementation process by identifying individuals that may be qualified to receive these benefits. Eligibility notification will be sent by mail to all potentially eligible individuals on May 8, 2009. In addition, the department is aggressively initiating programming changes to facilitate the application process. An online State Extended Benefit application will be available as of May 22, 2009. Please continue to visit our website for updates on the state extended unemployment benefits program.
If you are currently receiving benefits and exhaust your claim, you may be entitled to Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) benefits. Continue to certify each week, there is no need to call or visit your career center to file your claim. Your extension of benefits will automatically be processed.
On February 17, 2009, President Obama signed Public Law 111-5, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, which provides a temporary supplement of $25 a week for individuals who are eligible to receive Unemployment Insurance benefits, effective week ending date February 28, 2009. The last payable week for the supplement is week ending date July 3, 2010.
The new law does not include provisions for additional extended benefits beyond Second Tier EUC.

Last line scares me because I was told this would be a tier 3 benefits and here they are saying nothing for those who ran out of tier 2 benefits...

Old 05-10-2009, 12:55 PM

50 posts, read 79,846 times
Thanks gea12345 for that reassurance !! You made my MOTHER'S DAY . I havenot been able to understand most of the information provided. I will continue to wait and see if I am one of the lucky ones .

Old 05-10-2009, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 13,316 times
My second tier benefits end this month, am I understanding correctly that there is more to come?

Old 05-11-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty dugan View Post
My second tier benefits end this month, am I understanding correctly that there is more to come?

Which state are you from? Not all states are eligible for or have accepted emergency benefits.

PA, NY, NJ, MI, OR has!

Check your U.C. website, it will tell you, if your state is eligible and accepted those 13 weeks of (EB).

Old 05-15-2009, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 19,471 times
Default Georgia Unemployment Extension May 2009

I do not see where there is a third tier EUC extension, but they told me to keep certifying. To confuse matters even more, I had to file a new claim last November which paid regular unemployment for 17 weeks. After that I finished off my tier 2 benefits, so I don't know what I'm eligible for, if anything.

Looking through this forum, it looks like people who ran out of tier 2 benefits are expecting this tier 3. I'm totally confused - is the message on the GA DOL website correct?

Has anyone in Georgia received notification that supposedly went out on May 8?

Old 05-15-2009, 04:02 PM

203 posts, read 392,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine6728 View Post
I do not see where there is a third tier EUC extension, but they told me to keep certifying. To confuse matters even more, I had to file a new claim last November which paid regular unemployment for 17 weeks. After that I finished off my tier 2 benefits, so I don't know what I'm eligible for, if anything.

Looking through this forum, it looks like people who ran out of tier 2 benefits are expecting this tier 3. I'm totally confused - is the message on the GA DOL website correct?

check here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ts-letter.html

Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 PM

From the National Employment Law Project
For Immediate Release: March 20, 2009

Over Million Workers to Exhaust Benefits in March & April if
States Don’t Act
13-20 Weeks Federally-Funded Extension of Benefits Available in Stimulus
for High-Unemployment States

Available to all states with unemployed rates above 6.5%,
the Extended Benefits program would provide an additional 13-20 weeks of benefits to workers
who have already used up their Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) benefits. Of the
states whose unemployment rates are high enough to trigger the extensions – which are now
being funded 100% by the federal government under the stimulus bill – only about half have
passed the necessary authorization to receive the funds.
“Over half a million jobless workers will run out of unemployment benefits in March and April if
their states do not act now,” “The Extended Benefits program is a straightforward, federallyfunded
extension to continue benefits for workers in high-unemployment states who have already
run out of emergency unemployment compensation. These benefits would come to very longterm
unemployed workers who still can’t find work after receiving all of their EUC benefits. This is
the only provision in the stimulus bill that addresses the needs of these long-term jobless
workers, and states should not overlook it,”

. While the cost for paying these extended benefits would normally be split 50-50
between states and the federal government, under the American Recovery and Reinvestment
Act, the extended benefit is fully federal-funded through 2009. Only a fraction of states, however,
have adopted the 6.5% trigger provision.
States that have yet to act to receive Extended Benefits: Approximately 567,000
workers would qualify for Extended Benefits after exhausting their EUC benefits if 14
high-unemployment states, as well as the Virgin Islands and the District of Columbia,
adopted the 6.5% unemployment rate trigger. As of March 19th, those states are:
Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts,
Mississippi, Missouri, New York, Ohio, and Tennessee.

http://www.nelp.org/page/-/UI/eb.pre...se.pdf?nocdn=1

There is Still NOTHING on the Georgia website about the Emergency Benefits, Only EUC, depspite the letters that have gone out to the posters who are asking questions.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty dugan View Post

Depends on your state if your state has accepted (EB)! i.e. benefits after you have ended (EUC)

What are the EB active work search requirements?
A. You must make a systematic effort to obtain work during each week that you claim EB. You must conduct at least two work search activities per week on separate days.

Note: There are many ways to search for work. Contact a potential employer, attend a job fair. Contact your union hiring hall. You should not restrict yourself to only one type of work search activity.

You must provide tangible evidence of your efforts to find work during each week that you claim EB. This means that you must identify your work search activities, the dates and methods of your activities, the kind of work you sought and the results.

Q. What work must I apply for and accept?
A. If you don’t expect to find work in your customary occupation within four weeks, don’t have a definite offer of employment in your customary occupation with a specific starting date, and don’t have a specific recall date from your employer, you must apply for and accept any work that is within your capabilities if: (1) the work pays at least the higher of the state or federal minimum wage; (2) the work pays more than your EB weekly benefit amount plus the amount of any Supplemental Unemployment Benefits you receive; and (3) the work is listed with the PA CareerLink or offered to you in writing by the employer. If you reasonably expect to find work in your customary occupation within four weeks, have a definite offer of employment in your customary occupation with a specific starting date, or have a specific recall date from your employer, you must apply for and accept work that is suitable for claimants receiving regular UC.

Q. Does EB have special disqualifications?
A. If you are disqualified from receiving EB because you did not apply for or accept suitable work, or did not actively seek work, the disqualification remains in effect until you have been employed in each of four subsequent weeks and earned remuneration of not less than four times your EB weekly benefit amount.
If you do not actively seek work, and want to avoid a disqualification for that week and subsequent weeks until you re-qualify for benefits, you may choose not to claim EB for that week and resume claiming EB for weeks during which you actively seek work.

Q. How much EB will I receive?
A. Your EB weekly benefit amount is the same as the weekly benefit amount on your most recent, regular UC claim, including any dependents' allowance. The total amount of EB that you may receive is 50% of the amount of regular UC you were financially eligible to receive on your most recent claim. If you were financially eligible for 26 weeks of regular UC you may receive up to 13 weeks of EB, and if you were financially eligible for 16 weeks of regular UC you may receive up to 8 weeks of EB. However, EB may only be paid for weeks ending during an EB period.

http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp...a=358&q=251779

Last edited by gea12345; 05-15-2009 at 09:07 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 10:41 PM

175 posts, read 252,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine6728 View Post

I had one in my mail box on Monday. They will be sending them to everyone that is qualified, then you have to go and fill out the application on the 22nd online.

The last line, as mentioned above, has been there for months. Since the $25 increase happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment