U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 AM

285 posts, read 599,938 times

Advertisements

Oh well back to looking every where I can on the computer and talking with others to see what I can develop before I reach retirement.lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 11:38 AM

175 posts, read 320,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blromious View Post
Oh well back to looking every where I can on the computer and talking with others to see what I can develop before I reach retirement.lol
I'm going to school for nursing in the spring. Every open job in my area is for the medical field. I get my associates in Business in September, but because it's online classes I still have to meet my job search requirements. This associates is useless after what's happened to the job market, but oh well. I guess I'll keep applying to stuff I'm not qualified for to meet the requirements. There aren't even fast food jobs in our area, although I couldn't work that if I wanted to with being pregnant and the cost of daycare. Blah.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 6,635 times
Maybe it's quiet because it's the weekend because I still haven't gotten been paid and I'm still waiting which sux

Old 06-20-2009, 01:31 PM

285 posts, read 599,938 times
well luckygutta85 I wish you well and I hope you have done like the rest of us and called until you have gotten satisfied results. There is useful information here if you need help.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:49 PM

189 posts, read 272,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
SMS-did you send e-mails to any of these and if so what were the results? Or has anyone else e-mailed to them?

Old 06-20-2009, 03:15 PM

462 posts, read 885,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeparker56 View Post
SMS-did you send e-mails to any of these and if so what were the results? Or has anyone else e-mailed to them?
Im putting together a letter to mass mail. It is going to be called "Faces of the Unemployed". (or something like that) I would like everyone to send me a brief summery of what they did before unemployment...educational background...family status....things like that. I won't be using names...or will make names up. Statistics are deceiving, we need to put a face to this horrible situation...make it a human interest story.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:54 PM

29 posts, read 43,092 times
Hi! Here is my summary (not very exciting but oh well) I was an office manager with a small company here in Georgia for nine years. They installed central vacuums and intercom systems in new and existing homes. When the construction industry slowed to nearly a halt so did our company went from a half a million business to nothing so they closed shop. This was April 08', after three months of searching for office work and only 3 interviews but no job offer (2 of those jobs I went on the 2nd interview but did not get the job, I had my hopes so high all to be crushed). I am a 40 year old with 2 grown children (20 & 23) still living at home. My husband is in law enforcement so his job is half way protected from layoffs. But there is no way we can make it on one income! I decided last August to go back to school because it seems that all the jobs available are in healthcare. I only have a highschool diploma and had 2nd thoughts about going back to school. But with encouragement from my husband and getting the HOPE Grant to pay for the school I went for it!
Now I have finished all my pre nursing classes and waiting to get chosen for the actual nursing program. It is very competetive and they only have room for 20 in the class. So keeping a good GPA has been challanging. My husband and I have been through so much financially almost loosing our house twice. Thank God for parents they have helped us out of alot of sticky situations! I am tired of having to rely on others to make ends meet. Oh and these financial difficulties have put a strain on my marriage and even the "D" word came up after 10 years of marriage. But we keep trying to make it work! So thats my story!

Old 06-20-2009, 04:25 PM

462 posts, read 885,990 times
aeb0309..........all stories are worthy of being told, and yours is a prime example. We are not all PHD's, nor are we all 6th grade dropouts. We are real people with real faces, and our stories deserve to be heard. You are the person next door, the one we may pass in the mall (of course we can't afford to go to the mall anymore..LOL). I was listening to a radio talk show on WSB the other day...I think you might know the one. The host was saying how people on welfare, foodstamps, etc should not be able to vote. That is exactly the mentality that we need to get rid of.....The assumption that we are taking something that we do not deserve, that we are lazy and our voices should not be counted. Ok...I will jump off the soapbox.....Don't get me started....LOLOL.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:34 PM

40 posts, read 65,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotosong View Post
It is quiet. Fingers crossed everyone has been paid now.

Anyone else notice the big decrease in the # of jobs listed on careerbuilder, monster and hot jobs this week? I'm really straining to find 4 I even remotely qualify for this week, and I usually don't have this problem at all. They are all work at home or commission sales scams.
I would LOVE to work from home. The only positive for being laid off is that I have been able to spend more time with my children. I have tried the Virtual Assistant thing to no avail. Surely companies would want to invest less in someone that doesn't have to come in the office 24/7. I could take a lesser hourly pay by doing this because I'm saving on gas, dry cleaning, lunches, etc. I haven't been able to find any legitimate offerings. Half the time these sites online want you to pay them for work. What a crock. I found one site and they had other VA's listing and 90% were from INDIA!!!!!! They were only asking for like $6 an hour! Ridiculous. 1st America outsources to them now they are just trying to undercut us every where. Don't want to get on a tangent, but outsourcing is what my old company did and then they laid off soooo many people here because of it. Not fair!

Old 06-20-2009, 05:42 PM

40 posts, read 65,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
aeb0309..........all stories are worthy of being told, and yours is a prime example. We are not all PHD's, nor are we all 6th grade dropouts. We are real people with real faces, and our stories deserve to be heard. You are the person next door, the one we may pass in the mall (of course we can't afford to go to the mall anymore..LOL). I was listening to a radio talk show on WSB the other day...I think you might know the one. The host was saying how people on welfare, foodstamps, etc should not be able to vote. That is exactly the mentality that we need to get rid of.....The assumption that we are taking something that we do not deserve, that we are lazy and our voices should not be counted. Ok...I will jump off the soapbox.....Don't get me started....LOLOL.

OH MY GOSH! Are you serious???? Why is it that people are so self-rightous these days and just feel that they are going to say what they want to say and not care about who it's affecting. It's so not fair what we are going through because people like to play games with other peoples lives and money. This has taught me that you never know what can happen. So if he loses his job and can't find another, then what happens to his cushy lifestyle? IT'S HAPPENING TO EVERYBODY!! There is no more middleclass, just the rich and poor now, I swear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or