U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2009, 03:57 PM

309 posts, read 476,607 times

Advertisements

Your morning jolt: Michael Thurmond offered U.S. Labor post | Political Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyleac01 View Post
Not only is Georgia's unemployment rate higher than the national average, but it looks like Thurmond has been offered a position at the federal level...can we apply for his job?

I hope everyone is doing well financially and emotionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 PM

285 posts, read 501,443 times
Well I just found out I have acid reflux and knowing Michael Thurmond might be considered for a position for United States Labor post is not helping at all. We are now 10.1% unemployed and our benefits are within arms reach of exhausting please Mr. Thurmond think of Georgians in your decision.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:25 PM

309 posts, read 476,607 times
I did catch Andrew Stettner from NELP on a Sunday news show and he is trying to get another extension as it is plainly obvious the stimulous is not working to stop unemployment or create jobs,,,but of course now it is to be a two year plan for jobs,lol

Old 07-15-2009, 06:32 PM

27 posts, read 39,014 times
Has anyone else noticed that there job searches use the same address for each search on each page? Should we be concerned?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 PM

462 posts, read 724,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer1983 View Post
I have a question for everyone here, I'm confused, or maybe I'm reading to much into this, but please give me some feedback on this. I went back and reread the Reinvestment Act and this section can be misunderstood:
[LEFT]Extension of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Program through December 2009[/LEFT]
[LEFT]($26.96 billion
Provides an additional 20 weeks of unemployment benefits and, in high unemployment states,[/LEFT]
an additional 13 weeks (for a total of 33 additional weeks). Does this means that after we exhaust the up to 20 weeks of unemployment, will we be granted an additional 13 weeks as said in this phrase or is this not for the long term unemployed (SEB) program.
If you are refering to SEB my understanding is that a state qualifies for an extra 13 weeks if the IUR... (13 week insured unemployment rate) is over 5 percent. Georgia does not have the IUR option in law, so we don't qualify. If you are referring to tier 1 and tier2 of EUC, they were 20 weeks and an additional 13 weeks for a total of 33 weeks.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:06 AM

90 posts, read 101,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
If you are refering to SEB my understanding is that a state qualifies for an extra 13 weeks if the IUR... (13 week insured unemployment rate) is over 5 percent. Georgia does not have the IUR option in law, so we don't qualify. If you are referring to tier 1 and tier2 of EUC, they were 20 weeks and an additional 13 weeks for a total of 33 weeks.

Thanks sms200, I said I was probably reading to much into it, or wishful thinking! Lol

Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 AM

727 posts, read 757,570 times
Hey everyone. I am not surprized that M. Thurmond was offered the Labor post. It is obvious that he does have political intentions and lets just hope that he doesn't do anything till after ole Sonny boy leaves office because if it is before, Sonny will put a Republican in that position and that will be bad for all of us. As for the unemployment in GA at 10.1% (which is really 20% or higher) it is only going to get worse. I guess what amazes me the most with the unemploment numbers is that no one on the National or State level has any idea on how to fix this. Congress and Obama seem to be focused on Health care, although Obama did say the other day he is going to be spending money to re-educate all of us by putting money in the 2 year college system(community colleges). Well that is all well and good but where are the jobs? It doesn't matter if we all go back to school and retrain as there are still no jobs.
Once again, I am implore all of you to email, write, fax any and all who are at the State and Federal level about passing yet another unemployment extension because this is not going away any time soon. And the sooner the better. As we all know-Congress and the Senate have their break for the month of August and all who are on SEB, our benefits will be gone in September. I refuse to go through what we did before with waiting on the State to get all their ducks lined up before they released said money. So, please take some time and write these people and make it known that we need some assistance in the way of more benefits and we need them to work on this now. It continues to boggle my mind, that this lack of jobs is not the main issue in this Country with our elected leaders. I feel like we are viewing history in the making-that being the end of the middle class. If this jobless situation continues we will be a 2 class society that is made up of the haves and have nots and I refuse to allow that to happen, although having put that out there, I have no idea how to stop the motion.
I have not been posting much as I have been really making an effort to find employment-have another interview this afternoon, so we will see but I do still read the posts on a daily basis. Regardless-even if I do find a job, I will not drop my efforts in resolving this unemployment issue and the lack of jobs.
Hope all of you are doing well and we will still need to make arrangements to get together and have a picnic.

Last edited by flyfishva; 07-16-2009 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 AM

4,551 posts, read 6,188,168 times
Well I filled out the online SEB form this am per a DOL person and said don't wait for letter to go ahead and fill it out. Everyone keep there fingers crossed for me.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 AM

92 posts, read 104,396 times
Flyfishva - I wish you the best on your interview this afternoon! I have begun drafting my letter to send to state and federal officials about extending unemployment, though I too hope to have another job before the extension runs out. I have applied to a couple of strong prospects...we will see what happens.

However, I am somewhat limited right now because I do not have transportation, yet. Looking for something cheap, that runs well enough to get the job. If anyone knows of someone selling a good used car, let me know.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:41 AM

727 posts, read 757,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyleac01 View Post
Flyfishva - I wish you the best on your interview this afternoon! I have begun drafting my letter to send to state and federal officials about extending unemployment, though I too hope to have another job before the extension runs out. I have applied to a couple of strong prospects...we will see what happens.

However, I am somewhat limited right now because I do not have transportation, yet. Looking for something cheap, that runs well enough to get the job. If anyone knows of someone selling a good used car, let me know.
Try looking on Craigslist-there seems to be some deals on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment