Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 11:56 AM

462 posts, read 989,265 times

Advertisements

Again, here is the list of people to write to concerning another extension of unemployment

E-mail Senator Reid
Contact Me | Congressman Charles B. Rangel: Serving New York's 15th District
Chairman of The House Ways and Means Committee
Washington Office
2354 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: 202-225-4365
Fax: 202-225-0816

Committee On Finance
219 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510-6200
202) 224-4515
Committee Members....write to all of them

CHUCK GRASSLEY, IA
]ORRIN G. HATCH, UT
OLYMPIA J. SNOWE, ME
JON KYL, AZ
JIM BUNNING, KY
MIKE CRAPO, ID
PAT ROBERTS, KS
]JOHN ENSIGN, NV[
MIKE ENZI, WY
JOHN CORNYN, TX
MAX BAUCUS, MT Head of Senate finance committee
JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER IV, WV
KENT CONRAD, ND
JEFF BINGAMAN, NM
JOHN F. KERRY, MA
BLANCHE L. LINCOLN, AR
RON WYDEN, OR
CHARLES E. SCHUMER, NY
DEBBIE STABENOW, MI
MARIA CANTWELL, WA
[
BILL NELSON, FL
ROBERT MENENDEZ, NJ
THOMAS CARPER, DE

Senate Finance Committee
Department and Agency Jurisdiction
Department of Labor
- Employment and Training Administration (w/HELP Committee)
[Unemployment Compensation; Trade Adjustment Assistance for workers]
- Pension and Welfare Benefits Administration [ERISA] (w/ HELP and Foreign
Relations Committee
[Formulating and implementing international trade policy]
- International Labor Affairs Bureau
- Unemployment insurance

Last edited by SMS200; 07-28-2009 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
It certainly can't hurt to call them.....they helped so many of us with SEB. We have been "fighting" with the DOL for months, they are so behind, understaffed and uninformed. Good Luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
You might want to take that letter and go in to the office and sit down with someone.
Well, I got so frustrated I decided to call Ms. Yates and got her voicemail. I didn't leave a message as instructed on here and decided just to try back later. Well, about 30-40 minutes afterwards, I get a call from GA DOL, and now they are stating "I am alright" its just that my claim is still processing. Some people work faster than others and a "decision" is still being processed. It could take 26 business days - from the date of applying (plus being a week in the whole for applying) to receive claim.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:49 PM

462 posts, read 989,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
Well, I got so frustrated I decided to call Ms. Yates and got her voicemail. I didn't leave a message as instructed on here and decided just to try back later. Well, about 30-40 minutes afterwards, I get a call from GA DOL, and now they are stating "I am alright" its just that my claim is still processing. Some people work faster than others and a "decision" is still being processed. It could take 26 business days - from the date of applying (plus being a week in the whole for applying) to receive claim.
Great news......but sorry it is taking so long.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,336 times
Default SEB Payments in GA

As soon as late August my second tier benefits will be exausted. Has anyone as of late July been receiving there SEB payments and how is that going? I see that alot of these posts are from June where alot of you were saying that you had not received a payment in months. Please let me know!!!! How's the process! Are the payments coming in timely? Is the DOL still bull****ting, etc.

Thanks a million,
Breakthroughneeded86

Old 07-29-2009, 07:16 AM

92 posts, read 152,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
Because they have been fudging on the numbers and now they can't and keep face. The whole thing should be a huge embarrassment to everyone up in DC. Health care is in the front seat and the unemployment situation is in the back.
And now, the annual August recess is about to commence, so nothing will be passed till the fall session if it even gets attention then.
I emailed the rest of those people. Next, I'm contacting Nelp.
This SEB we are currently getting is it people, so it behooves all of us to email the people on the list SMS was kind enough to provide and you need to do it now. Draft one letter and just copy and paste it-how hard is that? I notice barely anyone comes on here anymore which is a shame. When all of your benefits run out, you will be on here bitching and moaning-please, take some responsibility, own this jobless situation and contact the people on the list. I promise you will feel like you have done something when you are done!
I am writing my letters. But you know, most (if not all) of these politicians will only pay attention to those who live in their districts, i.e. those with the power to vote them out of office. Since this site has forums in other states, perhaps we can try to contact others in similar situtations and encourage them to also send letters to those on the list. Taking action is an empowering force. Rather than waiting for Congress to "do something", WE THE PEOPLE need to do what we can!

With that being said, I can understand that most people are probably trying to enjoy a mental respite from the worries, however brief.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:03 AM

231 posts, read 367,940 times
Hi everyone, its been a minute, but I have drafted my letter and sent it to those listed who might be able to assist us.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:05 AM

I am hopeful but I personally don't think another extension will be granted this year.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 AM

I wish there was some way to make those who compute the unemployment rate take into account those who no longer receive unemployment and those who have just given up on finding employment.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 AM

727 posts, read 1,096,848 times
I think they will pass legislation to address the unemployment-as in more benefits. Unfortunately, it won't be till fall session-but something is better then nothing. This issue is not going away anytime soon-if anything it will continue to get worse. I personally send out at at least 10 resumes a week and I have been utilizing head hunters. Even the head hunters acknowledge that there are many applicants and very few positions. Employment and the creation of jobs should have been the focus by the White House, Congress and the Senate but instead they are attempting to push through health care reform. That is all well and good-we all need health care but if it passes they as it is written-even more people will lose their jobs as small business should not be the money provider for this bill.
It is critical that the unemployment situation is addressed and soon. Either with more benefits or job creation. Education is all well and good but what is the point if after spending dollars on re-educating all of us and the jobless situation is the same-it is pointless.
I don't have an answer on how to resolve this. I have played with somehow taking the money generated from States with a lottery and somehow re-directing those funds away from education and into unemployment. But, not all States have the lottery so I don't know how that would work unless a pot is formed and States with lottery get more of the money as opposed to States who don't. The key is to come up with a way to finance jobs creation and or extended unemployment benefits till the present high unemployment numbers go away. Perhaps, finding a way to fund and or do this is the key and what we should be focusing on. I know that my SEB runs out in September and already I am stressing about it as I am finding it next to impossible to find employment. I just can't go through what we did this spring with no money-and I'm sure many of you are dreading it as well.
Post your ideas-no matter how far fetched and we can send them as a suggestion to the White House, Congress and the Senate.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:37 AM

92 posts, read 152,230 times
I don't know about anyone else on here who lives in a house...but quite often, I am approached by gentlemen who have been laid off to do yard work, or any type of handyman job. I wish I could hire all of them! This started me to thinking about developing some type of program, a "Community Development to Revitalize Georgia" project where displaced construction workers in each county are hired to build and/or rebuild communities. On some level, isn't this supposed to be the focus of the "stimulus" package?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment