Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 02:30 PM

968 posts, read 2,612,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
The numbers for unemployment came out today-Georgia has risen to 10.3% in July and I bet it goes up again for August....we need help!
This is not good news as we know this figure will either continue to grow or remain constant [which still is not favorable] for a while. Simultaneously wages appear to be plummeting in the Metro [not sure for the rest of GA].

Quote:
I guess GA DOL is not keeping up with the numbers anymore-I guess they are too busy..this is serious people. My benefits will be gone the second week of September and I CAN NOT find a job. No calls, no interviews-nothing. Here we go again. Our rep's in DC say that WE will be the first priority when they return from t..[/url]
You have exhausted all benefits (extended too)? I may be blowing smoke here but have you :

1) Considered or signed up with temp agency?
2) Have you used the WIA training incentives?
3) I have seen several job postings with AT&T and can confirm they are doing testing for a lot of vacant positions. Maybe try applying there.
4) Do you have any skill/trade that would allow you to do some 1099/self-employed work to stay afloat.

I really hope something comes your way soon. Although, I am still early in my job loss & job search, I have come to grips with the idea that the only way for me to overcome these hurdles is to create my own opportunity out of this detriment. I hope to use every crutch I can to manifest my goals. I hope you are able to do so as well.

Best Regards!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 PM

136 posts, read 242,350 times
Has anyone seen the movie The Network? It was made in the 70's.
It just proves the point that history repeats itself.

Quote:
I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's work, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad.
You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, ***amnit! My life has VALUE!' So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell,
'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it:
"I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

Old 08-22-2009, 05:09 AM

727 posts, read 1,095,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
This is not good news as we know this figure will either continue to grow or remain constant [which still is not favorable] for a while. Simultaneously wages appear to be plummeting in the Metro [not sure for the rest of GA].

You have exhausted all benefits (extended too)? I may be blowing smoke here but have you :

1) Considered or signed up with temp agency?
2) Have you used the WIA training incentives?
3) I have seen several job postings with AT&T and can confirm they are doing testing for a lot of vacant positions. Maybe try applying there.
4) Do you have any skill/trade that would allow you to do some 1099/self-employed work to stay afloat.

I really hope something comes your way soon. Although, I am still early in my job loss & job search, I have come to grips with the idea that the only way for me to overcome these hurdles is to create my own opportunity out of this detriment. I hope to use every crutch I can to manifest my goals. I hope you are able to do so as well.

Best Regards!!!
I have a head hunter-we have discussed the current jobless situation-she said she has many applicants and very few positions. I send out resumes weekly and I network-I have solid 11 years experience and a degree. What I won't do is take a 100% commission job-and basically that is what is being offered in todays market. Like you I too believe that I will have to create my own opportunity- and I am trying to do that but the reality is what I am selling-many people do not have the extra funds to just spend right now or chose not to as who knows what is around the bend. I think the point is that very few positions have been created from the stimulus. As for going back to school-forget it. GA DOL is very limited on what they will pay for re-training and to be honest-why should I go further into debt to get another degree? What is wrong with the one I have? The reality is until the unemployed numbers are down and people are back to work-and that means JOBS(ones that pay above minimum wage thank you)this Country WILL not be in recovery mode.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 AM

92 posts, read 152,034 times
I am in agreement with you, Flyfishva. Maybe it is because Cityhopper is in the early stages of being unemployed...hope is less dim at this stage. (Cityhopper-I do not mean to suggest that you are being insensitive) It is easy to assume that others are not doing all that they can to turn their situation around. Believe me, many people have tried each suggestion listed, myself inculded. And also true, it is not the same for everyone. Some people may not exhaust all of their UI benefits plus extensions before they are employed again. Yet, we must remain hopeful.

I look forward to coming to this sight and read about the success stories of the many people who also post here...this is not the end. We will rise! What does not kill us (emotionally, physically or financially) will make us stronger. I believe that with all of my heart.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:43 AM

92 posts, read 152,034 times
Default "Soar Like an Eagle"

Some of you may have read this before, but I just thought I would share. Our cares will not magically disappear, but maybe it will encourage some hearts to continue pressing forward.

Did you know that an eagle knows when a storm is approaching long before it breaks? The eagle will fly to some high spot and wait for the winds to come.

When the storm hits, it sets its wings so that the wind will pick it up and lift it above the storm. While the storm rages below, the eagle is soaring above it.

The eagle does not escape the storm. It simply uses the storm to lift it higher. It rises on the winds that bring the storm. When the storms of life come upon us - and all of us will experience them - we can rise above them by setting our minds and our belief toward God. The storms do not have to overcome us. We can allow God's power to lift us above them.

God enables us to ride the winds of the storm that bring sickness, tragedy, failure and disappointment in our lives. We can soar above the storm.

Remember, if we are really honest to ourselves, it is not the burdens of life that weigh us down, it is how we handle them.
-Unknown-

Old 08-22-2009, 11:04 AM

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:56 PM

968 posts, read 2,612,692 times
Quote:
Like you I too believe that I will have to create my own opportunity-
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyleac01 View Post
I am in agreement with you, Flyfishva. Maybe it is because Cityhopper is in the early stages of being unemployed...hope is less dim at this stage. (Cityhopper-I do not mean to suggest that you are being insensitive) It is easy to assume that others are not doing all that they can to turn their situation around. Believe me, many people have tried each suggestion listed, myself inculded. And also true, it is not the same for everyone. Some people may not exhaust all of their UI benefits plus extensions before they are employed again....
I do hope my post did not come off as being insensitive as that was not my intent. I guess it was more or less just saying something because I wanted to be supportive in some way shape or form.

Ultimately I agree with comments both of you have made. My stance still has not changed that with this turn in the market I (and every individual employee) will have to be highly proactive to "get what we deserve" in the long run. I will never feel comfortable depending on an employer again for any type of security. So now, its a bargaining game except this time I have to make sure I get something out of the deal (salary, experience, training, promotion). I did excellent work with my last employer but virtually nothing was added value to me or new skilled acquired; this is hurting me now.

Nevertheless, we have to keep moving forward, thinking positive, voting and staying abreast of the politics of this reality.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:33 PM

462 posts, read 987,911 times
Something interesting happened to me last week, and I would like to throw it out for comment. I became quite ill and had to go to the ER, not because I am uninsured and use it for basic care, but because I truly was sick. I spent most of the night hooked up to IV's, had some minor surgery, and in the end discovered that I have MRSA. I got the bill today. The final total was $5333.80!!! The account adjustment for lack of insurance was $4783.80, bringing the remaining balance to $550.00. If I was insured, would my insurance company have been asked to pay $5333.80? So here is my question......what was the real cost of this hospital visit???? What does this tell us about our healthcare system? Sorry to deviate from unemployment, but this really has me bothered.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
Something interesting happened to me last week, and I would like to throw it out for comment. I became quite ill and had to go to the ER, not because I am uninsured and use it for basic care, but because I truly was sick. I spent most of the night hooked up to IV's, had some minor surgery, and in the end discovered that I have MRSA. I got the bill today. The final total was $5333.80!!! The account adjustment for lack of insurance was $4783.80, bringing the remaining balance to $550.00. If I was insured, would my insurance company have been asked to pay $5333.80? So here is my question......what was the real cost of this hospital visit???? What does this tell us about our healthcare system? Sorry to deviate from unemployment, but this really has me bothered.
It shows that instead of sticking someone who can't afford it with a bill of 5k they lowered it to make it affordable. Something is better than nothing in hospital payment eyes. Insurance companies make a hell of a lot of money, so they can afford to dish out that chump change.

To me, it makes more sense that you got a smaller bill since you were uninsured. Most people won't pay those ER bills anyways, it just ends up a blip on their credit report, so this way at least they are getting something back if it's more affordable.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:30 AM

727 posts, read 1,095,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
SMS-really sorry that you even had to go through all that as I mentioned before. As for what your hospital bill was-amazing. I think we all agree that insurance companies are for profit-they are betting you won't get sick and you are betting you will. I have always wondered how they came up with the price tag on the charges-$60 for a box of kleenex and so on and so forth. Remember a few years back when they decided to change the insurance for seniors-it was supposed to make drugs more affordible-I have a friend who is a pharmacist-and he relayed that when the bill was passed-the pharmaceutical companies jacked their prices up 3 times what they were before-it just goes to show that we do NOT get affordible healthcare. They all make huge amounts of money-they control what tests you can get-and they decide what kind of healthcare we all are entitled to. This healthcare reform should be about us-not the companies who provide the services. Personally, I think the insurance companies should be removed from the equation-but we all know that is not a reality. Everyone in this Country should have access to affordible healthcare. Period. I have no insurance right now as I am sure so many of you go without as well. At the very least, if something did happen, at least we now know that if we go to the hospital-we will get the help we need at a reduced price. I know $500 is a fortune to many of us right now-but SMS is lucky-that MRSA is nothing to mess with. Get well soon!

Last edited by flyfishva; 08-23-2009 at 07:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment