Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 07:08 AM

727 posts, read 1,096,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaskye07 View Post
This is located on the GDOL website in the "newsroom".
Recent Releases 09/24/2009Metro Albany’s August unemployment rate declines to 10.0 percent09/24/2009Metro Athens’ August unemployment rate declines to 7.3 percent09/24/2009Metro Atlanta’s August unemployment rate declines to 10.4 percent09/24/2009Metro Augusta’s August unemployment rate declines to 9.5 percent09/24/2009Metro Brunswick’s August unemployment rate declines to 8.7 percent09/24/2009Metro Columbus’ August unemployment rate declines to 9.6 percent09/24/2009Metro Dalton’s August unemployment rate declines to 12.5 percent09/24/2009Metro Gainesville’s August unemployment rate declines to 9.1 percent09/24/2009Metro Hinesville’s August unemployment rate declines to 7.9 percent09/24/2009Metro Macon’s August unemployment rate declines to 9.9 percent
Funny how all this is DECLINES.
Nothing about a possibility of a new extension.

Man the phones, emails to THURMOND.
As people fall off the rolls-as in are no longer are receiving benefits-the numbers will also fall. They are using the U-2 reporting of numbers-as is the Federal Government. The real numbers are the U-6 reporting which would put the real unemployment numbers at around 16% for the Country.
It's all in the perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 07:20 AM

I posted this yesterday and not a one of you commented-Reed of RI has offered up a companion Bill-S.1699 to H.R. 3548 on 09-23-09
You can read about it here-

S. 1699. A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes; to the Committee on Finance.

Mr. REED. Mr. President, I ask unanimous consent that the text of the bill be printed in the Record.
There being no objection, the text of the bill was ordered to be printed in the Record, as follows:
S. 1699
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ``Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009''.
SEC. 2. ADDITIONAL EMERGENCY UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION.
(a) In General.--Section 4002 of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 (Public Law 110-252; 26 U.S.C. 3304 note) is amended by adding at the end the following:
``(d) Further Additional Emergency Unemployment Compensation.--
``(1) IN GENERAL.--If, at the time that the amount added to an individual's account under subsection (c)(1) (hereinafter `additional emergency unemployment compensation') is exhausted or at any time thereafter, such individual's State is in an extended benefit period (as determined under paragraph (2)), such account shall be further augmented by an amount (hereinafter `further additional emergency unemployment compensation') equal to the lesser of--
``(A) 50 percent of the total amount of regular compensation (including dependents' allowances) payable to the individual during the individual's benefit year under the State law; or
``(B) 13 times the individual's average weekly benefit amount (as determined under subsection (b)(2)) for the benefit year.
``(2) EXTENDED BENEFIT PERIOD.--For purposes of paragraph (1), a State shall be considered to be in an extended benefit period, as of any given time, if such a period would then be in effect for such State under the Federal-State Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 1970 if--
``(A) section 203(d) of such Act--
``(i) were applied by substituting `6' for `5' each place it appears; and
``(ii) did not include the requirement under paragraph (1)(A) thereof; or
``(B) section 203(f) of such Act were applied to such State--
``(i) regardless of whether or not the State had by law provided for its application;
``(ii) by substituting `8.5' for `6.5' in paragraph (1)(A)(i) thereof; and
``(iii) as if it did not include the requirement under paragraph (1)(A)(ii) thereof.
``(3) COORDINATION RULE.--Notwithstanding an election under section 4001(e) by a State to provide for the payment of emergency unemployment compensation prior to extended compensation, such State may pay extended compensation to an otherwise eligible individual prior to any further additional emergency unemployment compensation, if such individual claimed extended compensation for at least 1 week of unemployment after the exhaustion of additional emergency unemployment compensation.
``(4) LIMITATION.--The account of an individual may be augmented not more than once under this subsection.''.
(b) Conforming Amendment to Non-Augmentation Rule.--Section 4007(b)(2) of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 (Public Law 110-252; 26 U.S.C. 3304 note) is amended--
(1) by striking ``then section 4002(c)'' and inserting ``then subsections (c) and (d) of section 4002''; and
(2) by striking ``paragraph (2) of such section)'' and inserting ``paragraph (2) of such subsection (c) or (d) (as the case may be))''.
(c) Transfer of Funds.--Section 4004(e)(1) of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 (Public Law 110-252; 26 U.S.C. 3304 note) is amended by striking ``Act;'' and inserting ``Act and the Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009;''.
(d) Effective Date.--The amendments made by this section shall apply as if included in the enactment of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008, except that no amount shall be payable by virtue of such amendments with respect to any week of unemployment commencing before the date of the enactment of this Act.
SEC. 3. 0.2 PERCENT FUTA SURTAX.
(a) In General.--Section 3301 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to rate of tax) is amended--
(1) by striking ``through 2009'' in paragraph (1) and inserting ``through 2010'', and
(2) by striking ``calendar year 2010'' in paragraph (2) and inserting ``calendar year 2011''.
(b) Effective Date.--The amendments made by this section shall apply to wages paid after December 31, 2009.
SEC. 4. REPORTING OF FIRST DAY OF EARNINGS TO DIRECTORY OF NEW HIRES.
(a) In General.--Section 453A(b)(1)(A) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 653a(b)(1)(A)) is amended by inserting ``the date services for remuneration were first performed by the employee,'' after ``of the employee,''.
(b) Reporting Format and Method.--Section 453A(c) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 653a(c)) is amended by inserting ``, to the extent practicable,'' after ``Each report required by subsection (b) shall''.
(c) Effective Date.--
(1) IN GENERAL.--Subject to paragraph (2), the amendments made by this section shall take effect six months after the date of enactment of this Act.
(2) COMPLIANCE TRANSITION PERIOD.--If the Secretary of Health and Human Services determines that State legislation (other than legislation appropriating funds) is required in order for a State plan under part D of title IV of the Social Security Act to meet the additional requirements imposed by the amendment made by subsection (a), the plan shall not be regarded as failing to meet such requirements before the first day of the second calendar quarter beginning after the close of the first regular session of the State legislature that begins after the effective date of such amendment. If the State has a 2-year legislative session, each year of the session is deemed to be a separate regular session of the State legislature.
SEC. 5. COLLECTION IN ALL STATES OF UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION DUE TO FRAUD.
(a) In General.--Subsection (f) of section 6402 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by striking paragraph (3) and redesignating paragraphs (4) through (8) as paragraphs (3) through (7), respectively.
(b) Effective Date.--The amendment made by this section shall apply to refunds payable on or after the date of the enactment of this Act.
It is obvious the Senate is going to add something into any bill passed that references 2010 and hence why nothing has been done as of yet. I was under the impression that H.R. Bill 3548 was to be passed quickly so all of us who have lost benefits would be helped immediately and then they would take up going into 2010. This Bill would be under the EUC as in a third tier.Comments?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 AM

461 posts, read 945,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
I posted this yesterday and not a one of you commented-Reed of RI has offered up a companion Bill-S.1699 to H.R. 3548 on 09-23-09
You can read about it here-

S. 1699. A bill to amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes; to the Committee on Finance.

Mr. REED. Mr. President, I ask unanimous consent that the text of the bill be printed in the Record.
There being no objection, the text of the bill was ordered to be printed in the Record, as follows:
S. 1699
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ``Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009''.
SEC. 2. ADDITIONAL EMERGENCY UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION.
(a) In General.--Section 4002 of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 (Public Law 110-252; 26 U.S.C. 3304 note) is amended by adding at the end the following:
``(d) Further Additional Emergency Unemployment Compensation.--
``(1) IN GENERAL.--If, at the time that the amount added to an individual's account under subsection (c)(1) (hereinafter `additional emergency unemployment compensation') is exhausted or at any time thereafter, such individual's State is in an extended benefit period (as determined under paragraph (2)), such account shall be further augmented by an amount (hereinafter `further additional emergency unemployment compensation') equal to the lesser of--
``(A) 50 percent of the total amount of regular compensation (including dependents' allowances) payable to the individual during the individual's benefit year under the State law; or
``(B) 13 times the individual's average weekly benefit amount (as determined under subsection (b)(2)) for the benefit year.
``(2) EXTENDED BENEFIT PERIOD.--For purposes of paragraph (1), a State shall be considered to be in an extended benefit period, as of any given time, if such a period would then be in effect for such State under the Federal-State Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 1970 if--
``(A) section 203(d) of such Act--
``(i) were applied by substituting `6' for `5' each place it appears; and
``(ii) did not include the requirement under paragraph (1)(A) thereof; or
``(B) section 203(f) of such Act were applied to such State--
``(i) regardless of whether or not the State had by law provided for its application;
``(ii) by substituting `8.5' for `6.5' in paragraph (1)(A)(i) thereof; and
``(iii) as if it did not include the requirement under paragraph (1)(A)(ii) thereof.
``(3) COORDINATION RULE.--Notwithstanding an election under section 4001(e) by a State to provide for the payment of emergency unemployment compensation prior to extended compensation, such State may pay extended compensation to an otherwise eligible individual prior to any further additional emergency unemployment compensation, if such individual claimed extended compensation for at least 1 week of unemployment after the exhaustion of additional emergency unemployment compensation.
``(4) LIMITATION.--The account of an individual may be augmented not more than once under this subsection.''.
(b) Conforming Amendment to Non-Augmentation Rule.--Section 4007(b)(2) of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 (Public Law 110-252; 26 U.S.C. 3304 note) is amended--
(1) by striking ``then section 4002(c)'' and inserting ``then subsections (c) and (d) of section 4002''; and
(2) by striking ``paragraph (2) of such section)'' and inserting ``paragraph (2) of such subsection (c) or (d) (as the case may be))''.
(c) Transfer of Funds.--Section 4004(e)(1) of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 (Public Law 110-252; 26 U.S.C. 3304 note) is amended by striking ``Act;'' and inserting ``Act and the Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009;''.
(d) Effective Date.--The amendments made by this section shall apply as if included in the enactment of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008, except that no amount shall be payable by virtue of such amendments with respect to any week of unemployment commencing before the date of the enactment of this Act.
SEC. 3. 0.2 PERCENT FUTA SURTAX.
(a) In General.--Section 3301 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to rate of tax) is amended--
(1) by striking ``through 2009'' in paragraph (1) and inserting ``through 2010'', and
(2) by striking ``calendar year 2010'' in paragraph (2) and inserting ``calendar year 2011''.
(b) Effective Date.--The amendments made by this section shall apply to wages paid after December 31, 2009.
SEC. 4. REPORTING OF FIRST DAY OF EARNINGS TO DIRECTORY OF NEW HIRES.
(a) In General.--Section 453A(b)(1)(A) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 653a(b)(1)(A)) is amended by inserting ``the date services for remuneration were first performed by the employee,'' after ``of the employee,''.
(b) Reporting Format and Method.--Section 453A(c) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 653a(c)) is amended by inserting ``, to the extent practicable,'' after ``Each report required by subsection (b) shall''.
(c) Effective Date.--
(1) IN GENERAL.--Subject to paragraph (2), the amendments made by this section shall take effect six months after the date of enactment of this Act.
(2) COMPLIANCE TRANSITION PERIOD.--If the Secretary of Health and Human Services determines that State legislation (other than legislation appropriating funds) is required in order for a State plan under part D of title IV of the Social Security Act to meet the additional requirements imposed by the amendment made by subsection (a), the plan shall not be regarded as failing to meet such requirements before the first day of the second calendar quarter beginning after the close of the first regular session of the State legislature that begins after the effective date of such amendment. If the State has a 2-year legislative session, each year of the session is deemed to be a separate regular session of the State legislature.
SEC. 5. COLLECTION IN ALL STATES OF UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION DUE TO FRAUD.
(a) In General.--Subsection (f) of section 6402 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by striking paragraph (3) and redesignating paragraphs (4) through (8) as paragraphs (3) through (7), respectively.
(b) Effective Date.--The amendment made by this section shall apply to refunds payable on or after the date of the enactment of this Act.
It is obvious the Senate is going to add something into any bill passed that references 2010 and hence why nothing has been done as of yet. I was under the impression that H.R. Bill 3548 was to be passed quickly so all of us who have lost benefits would be helped immediately and then they would take up going into 2010. This Bill would be under the EUC as in a third tier.Comments?
I am not up on the mumbo jumbo. I can't make heads or tails of it.
Put in simple laymans terms and I will understand it.

I just want them to act quickly.

I have a fear that Thurmond will not let us have the money. I remember when we were calling before the SEB kicked in and I was told that this would be the last. Georgia would accept no more extensions. It has me really worried.
I really do hope we GET this extension and we get 20 weeks.
But what happens after it runs out. I guess we can breathe easier again up until the last couple of weeks when it is about to run out again.
In Dublin there are No jobs. My husband is on the verge of his plant closing. They don't know from one day to the next when they will get their papers. It's really stressing me out.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:32 AM

Senate has no roll count votes today or Monday-
PROGRAM -- (Senate - September 24, 2009)

[Page: S9859] GPO's PDF---

Mr. REID. As I announced earlier tonight, Mr. President, there will be no rollcall votes during Friday's session of the Senate. On Monday, which is Yom Kippur, the most significant and highest Holy Day of those of the Jewish faith, we will not be in session. Therefore, the next vote will occur around 5:30 p.m., Tuesday, September 29. As a reminder to all Senators, Paul Kirk will be sworn in as the new Senator from the State of Massachusetts, replacing Senator Kennedy. That will be at 3:30 tomorrow afternoon.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:34 AM

Montana-if this Bill S.1699 is passed it will be treated as EUC which is regular unemployment-like the first time we got benefits. I don't believe Thurmond has a say in whether we get it or not. The big difference in this Bill is the fraud part that was added in and it would cover going forward into 2010. It's confusing for everyone-me included. I am beginning to wonder if even the people who wrote these Bills have any clue..the bottom line is something will be passed. It's just a mystery when and what it will be. The unemployed in this Country have been given a bum deal from the get go-the media doesn't really cover it except to release the BS weekly numbers on Thursday and they always have a spin on them-as in making the situation look a lot better then it actually is. Makes me wonder about the credibility of the news we actually do get, but that is a whole other topic.
On another note-these people aren't voting today or Monday as it is Yom Kipper-they go on break October 9th. so whatever they do, they need to get on it. It is frustrating for me that when it comes to us the unemployed-we always get the back seat and treated like a red headed step child....(anyone with red hair-I apologize-nothing against it or you!)

Last edited by flyfishva; 09-25-2009 at 07:46 AM..

Old 09-25-2009, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,256 times
This WIA is such a mess. I went to several classes, tested and got approved and then was told that since I chose an Associates degree at a technical college, that the Pell and Hope would have to cover me first, then WIA would kick in. And only AFTER I applied with the school and for the other grants, could I RE-APPLY with the WIA all over again. And now the WIA program in my area is full and working from a waiting list. But so many others are being told just the opposite ????? I really wanted the WIA grant because the instructor stated that we would could get full medical, prescription and eye insurance coverage under Kaiser Permanente for only $26 a month for up to two years if you remained in school. After 6 weeks of working on their requirements (researching jobs and schools and completing masses of paperwork and taking assessment tests and the Work Ready Certificate testing), they bumped me out because Pell and Hope would have to pay first! And now I read that so many others remained in the program with the Pell and Hope grants assisting them AFTER the WIA money was awarded first ??? This is insane. I have never seen so much mis-information from the GADOL and GA State in my life. How do these people get these jobs - and keep them? On a more positive note: I just read on CVS website that they will be giving free flu shots to the unemployed who obtain a voucher that we get through our local One Stop Career Center at the UnEmployment Office (begins in the month of October). Just can't wait to see how well this program is executed. Geeeeeez.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 AM

9 posts, read 11,534 times
Well I know in Michigan they have a program called "No Worker Left Behind" which they give you $5000. each year for up to 2 years. The kicker is you don't get that money until you have applied for financial aid and grants. Once you max out there then the program kicks in. Who wants another bill with financial aid when you can't pay the bills you have? And even if you can't get any grants or financial aid, what kind of program can you get into for $5000.? 101 Lawn Mowing?

On another note, what are those idiots we elected doing? They can't bring spare 5 minutes for a vote today on the extension? Just pass this today and rewrite it for next year when it expires. Sometimes I think the Three Stooges make more sense than they do.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Montana-if this Bill S.1699 is passed it will be treated as EUC which is regular unemployment-like the first time we got benefits. I don't believe Thurmond has a say in whether we get it or not. The big difference in this Bill is the fraud part that was added in and it would cover going forward into 2010. It's confusing for everyone-me included. I am beginning to wonder if even the people who wrote these Bills have any clue..the bottom line is something will be passed. It's just a mystery when and what it will be. The unemployed in this Country have been given a bum deal from the get go-the media doesn't really cover it except to release the BS weekly numbers on Thursday and they always have a spin on them-as in making the situation look a lot better then it actually is. Makes me wonder about the credibility of the news we actually do get, but that is a whole other topic.
On another note-these people aren't voting today or Monday as it is Yom Kipper-they go on break October 9th. so whatever they do, they need to get on it. It is frustrating for me that when it comes to us the unemployed-we always get the back seat and treated like a red headed step child....(anyone with red hair-I apologize-nothing against it or you!)
How long will their "BREAK" be? They better dam well do something BEFORE the go on break. Us unemployed haven't had a break in a really long time.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:19 AM

Here is the link to Calendar-look like they are out for the rest of October...
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/re...9_calendar.pdf

Old 09-25-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Here is the link to Calendar-look like they are out for the rest of October...
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/re...9_calendar.pdf
From the looks of the calendar they are not in session in Nov and Dec. All days are red. Red means not in session.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment