Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 PM

189 posts, read 306,886 times

Advertisements

There was some excess because they couldn't divide mine equally so they gave me that left over as the last payment.

I don't understand why Oregon is getting this that I just read, can anyone explain? I guess I can't understand how this Governor gives his state their well needed benefits and where they are coming from but here we are all getting our last checks and Thurmond doesn't seem to care not to mention anyone else up there on Capitol Hill. Sorry, that just makes me mad. Not for the unemployed of course, I am glad they are getting what they should be getting.

Oregon Emergency Benefits (OEB) is an unemployment extension paid for solely by state funds. OEB is only available when the Oregon Legislature passes specific legislation which specifies when such the benefits are available. On July 28, 2009 Governor Kulongoski signed House Bill 3483 which allows for OEB benefits during the period of October 4, 2009 through January 2, 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 09:26 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,173 times
Default Oregon Provides State-funded Extension in UI Benefits

In July, 2008 Congress passed the Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program which added an additional 13-weeks of benefits following a 26-week regular claim. Since then, further additions to the EUC program, plus Oregon's continued high unemployment rate, meant unemployed Oregonians could receive a total of 79 weeks of benefits.

During the 2009 Legislative Session, the Oregon Legislature passed the Oregon Emergency Benefits (OEB) program which will allow an additional 13 weeks of benefits for those who have exhausted all other benefit extension programs [Tier I, Tier II, and EB]. This means that eligible jobless in Oregon can receive up to 92 weeks of benefits.

Oregon Emergency Benefits (OEB) is an unemployment extension paid for solely by state funds. On July 28, 2009 Governor Kulongoski signed Oregon House Bill 3483 which provides OEB benefits during the period of October 4, 2009 through January 2, 2010.

Unemployment benefits end for some Oregonians - Breaking News, Local News, Local Weather, Local Sports

Last edited by diorgirl; 10-02-2009 at 09:36 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 09:32 PM

189 posts, read 306,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
In July, 2008 Congress passed the Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program which added an additional 13-weeks of benefits following a 26-week regular claim. Since then, further additions to the EUC program, plus Oregon's continued high unemployment rate, meant unemployed Oregonians could receive a total of 79 weeks of benefits.

During the 2009 Legislative Session, the Oregon Legislature passed the Oregon Emergency Benefits (OEB) program which will allow an additional 13 weeks of benefits for those who have exhausted all other benefit extension programs [Tier I, Tier II, and EB]. This means that eligible jobless in Oregon can receive up to 92 weeks of benefits.

Oregon Emergency Benefits (OEB) is an unemployment extension paid for solely by state funds. On July 28, 2009 Governor Kulongoski signed Oregon House Bill 3483 which provides OEB benefits during the period of October 4, 2009 through January 2, 2010.

Unemployment benefits end for some Oregonians - Breaking News, Local News, Local Weather, Local Sports
Thanks diorgirl. Keep on praying eveyrone!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:35 PM

309 posts, read 649,489 times
I got
22 oui
18 tier 1
11 tier 2
then seb for 18
both 18 week ones the last check was an off amount to balance out to be 80-% of original claim

Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 AM

727 posts, read 1,096,882 times
Here is a copy of the email I received form Nelp:
Dear Friends- Yesterday, Senator Max Baucus, Chairman of the Finance Committee, introduced legislation (Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2009) that provides additional weeks of federal jobless benefits to workers in all states.Chairman Baucus' bill, which builds on the House measure (H.R. 3548) that passed last week providing more weeks of benefits for workers in high unemployment states, helps set the stage for quick Senate action.
In contrast to the bill that passed on the House last week, under the Baucus bill, workers in all states will receive an additional four weeks of federally-funded jobless benefits. Workers in high unemployment states - those states with unemployment rates over 8.5% currently 27 states - would receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits, totaling 17 weeks of additional federal assistance. This is a step forward, and is thanks to our hard work together.
Action on the Baucus bill is expected in the second half of next week. Given the strong support in the House for HR 3548, we would expect that the House would strongly support this new package if the Senate passes it. Therefore, it is our strong hope that the Senate bill will become a catalyst for an enactment and delivery of federal jobless benefits in a number of weeks.
With today's news that the job market took another nose dive in September, there is likely to be strong support for Baucus's more generous package.
Still, even if you already have done so, please contact your Senator today. Let them know how imperative it is that swift action be taken to extend benefits for all of the country's unemployed workers, and get everyone of your friends to do so, so we can have a strong bipartisan vote in favor of the bill when it comes to the floor.
To read NELP's press release on the bill, click here.
As we receive more definitive information, we'll pass it along. We wish the next extension of benefits was starting this week. We know how gut wrenching it is for those of you who are waiting for Congress to act, and we are doing everything we can to get this passed soon.
Sincerely,
Andy, Andriette, Tiphany, Rick, Christine, Maurice, Debbie and Judy
The unemployedworkers.org team
This email was sent to: flyfishva

One would think this would be a priority but again, not. I realize there is other business but I think I will subscribe to the "just wait and see" attitude.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:20 AM

Obama links job growth to health care proposal
Newsvine - Obama links job growth to health care proposal
Pretty scary headline-especially when the health care reform if even passed won't be fuly implemented till 2013.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 AM

Default Obama Eyes Economic Triage; Don’t Call It Stimulus 2

Another report that the White House is involved in extending benefits -- this one from Fox News:

The Obama White House has begun talks with congressional Democratic leaders on moves to extend health insurance subsidies, the $8,000 first-time home buyer tax credit and jobless benefits, congressional and administration officials told Fox late Friday.

These moves were recently pulled together by White House economic advisers as an act of economic triage aimed at millions of chronically unemployed Americans. The White House is loathe to call this emerging package a second economic stimulus.

Even so, President Obama tipped his hand that something was coming in Friday remarks on the economy in the Rose Garden.

"I'm working closely with my economic advisers to explore any and all additional options and measures that we might take to promote job creation," Obama said after the Labor Department reported that 263,000 Americans lost jobs in September and the unemployment rate rose to 9.8 percent.

Embedded in those numbers was this sobering statistic. The number of Americans unemployed for 27 weeks increased by 450,000 and now totals 5.4 million.

The White House may soon ask Congress to extend three parts of the original $787 billion stimulus law signed in mid-February.

* Extend the current $8,000 first-time home buyer tax credit beyond its scheduled Nov. 30 expiration date.

* Extend the current 65 percent subsidy through the COBRA program so jobless Americans can purchase health insurance for only 35 percent of the premium. After that, the government reimburses the provider for the remaining unpaid amount through a tax credit. The program, which provides nine months of this subsidized insurance coverage, is also due to expire on Dec. 31.

* Extend the full 79-week unemployment insurance package now available through the stimulus to laid of workers. The stimulus provided extended jobless benefits in high-unemployment states and tacked on a $25-per week stipend. Eligibility for extended benefits and the stipend expires on Dec. 31.

Congressional Democrats said talks on moving this type of legislation are "preliminary." But they are gaining velocity as the White House tries to cope with persistent unemployment and the political anxiety it has begun to generate among Democrats preparing to run for re-election in 2010.

Two White House officials adamantly denied a second stimulus is coming. But a senior administration official confirmed moves are afoot to extend three stimulus-created programs targeted at softening the blow of unemployment and boosting home sales.

"There's no big new package under consideration," the official said. "But there are moves to extend things that are starting to run out."

» Obama Eyes Economic Triage; Don’t Call It Stimulus 2 Row 2, Seat 4 « FOXNews.com (http://whitehouse.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/10/02/obama-eyes-economic-triage-but-dont-call-it-stimulus-2/ - broken link)

Old 10-03-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Another report that the White House is involved in extending benefits -- this one from Fox News:

The Obama White House has begun talks with congressional Democratic leaders on moves to extend health insurance subsidies, the $8,000 first-time home buyer tax credit and jobless benefits, congressional and administration officials told Fox late Friday.

These moves were recently pulled together by White House economic advisers as an act of economic triage aimed at millions of chronically unemployed Americans. The White House is loathe to call this emerging package a second economic stimulus.

Even so, President Obama tipped his hand that something was coming in Friday remarks on the economy in the Rose Garden.

"I'm working closely with my economic advisers to explore any and all additional options and measures that we might take to promote job creation," Obama said after the Labor Department reported that 263,000 Americans lost jobs in September and the unemployment rate rose to 9.8 percent.

Embedded in those numbers was this sobering statistic. The number of Americans unemployed for 27 weeks increased by 450,000 and now totals 5.4 million.

The White House may soon ask Congress to extend three parts of the original $787 billion stimulus law signed in mid-February.

* Extend the current $8,000 first-time home buyer tax credit beyond its scheduled Nov. 30 expiration date.

* Extend the current 65 percent subsidy through the COBRA program so jobless Americans can purchase health insurance for only 35 percent of the premium. After that, the government reimburses the provider for the remaining unpaid amount through a tax credit. The program, which provides nine months of this subsidized insurance coverage, is also due to expire on Dec. 31.

* Extend the full 79-week unemployment insurance package now available through the stimulus to laid of workers. The stimulus provided extended jobless benefits in high-unemployment states and tacked on a $25-per week stipend. Eligibility for extended benefits and the stipend expires on Dec. 31.

Congressional Democrats said talks on moving this type of legislation are "preliminary." But they are gaining velocity as the White House tries to cope with persistent unemployment and the political anxiety it has begun to generate among Democrats preparing to run for re-election in 2010.

Two White House officials adamantly denied a second stimulus is coming. But a senior administration official confirmed moves are afoot to extend three stimulus-created programs targeted at softening the blow of unemployment and boosting home sales.

"There's no big new package under consideration," the official said. "But there are moves to extend things that are starting to run out."

» Obama Eyes Economic Triage; Don’t Call It Stimulus 2 Row 2, Seat 4 « FOXNews.com (http://whitehouse.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/10/02/obama-eyes-economic-triage-but-dont-call-it-stimulus-2/ - broken link)
They had David Axelrod on NBC last night and he was asked if they(Obama) were considering another stimulus and he said "not at this time". So I wonder if this was after the fact. Point is extending the $8000 to buy a house is great but it doesn't help us the unemployed. I can't buy a house(although it is on my wish list-no job = no income). As for extending the date for jobless benefits-that definitely needs to be done and I believe that H.R. 3548 and S. 1699 address that. I have a problem with the fact that the Senate has not moved on this issue and to delay it even more with infighting over who should get benefits and who shouldn't is just politics. The longer we wait-the worse off we all will be. Good find. So, I guess my next question is-who do you believe? No one believes the first stimulus worked and I seriously doubt our rep's in DC will pass anything that spends more money as we are broke. Now, if we were a bank or Wall Street-we would get what ever we needed..snark-sarcasm intended. As for Cobra-I personally can't afford the insurance as the cost is so high that I would not be able to eat-pay rent etc..so no help there. Can't buy a house-no help there and the States and the Republicans will fight another long jobless benefits extension as something along the lines of taxes will have to be raised to pay for this...and lastly, I personally do not put much credence into anything that comes out of Fox(Faux) News as they always interject their right wing ideologies into everything they report-very biased. I am beginning to wonder if anyone has a clue as to how to fix this broken economy.. As well, all of you know I follow Newsvine regularly and on a daily basis-yesterday I totally expected the media to start their Obama propaganda-I waited all day to see when and if it was going to happen and nothing. Not very many seeds from anywhere news-wise as in no one really had anything to say about it. I find that interesting. We are in serious trouble-the numbers belay that fact and up to this point, all the media could or would report was their positive spin on everything-no matter how bad the news was. Now, I do not believe in all doom and gloom but for the last 6 months, anything about the economy has been subject to media spin and now nothing. All of it is very telling...

Last edited by flyfishva; 10-03-2009 at 08:23 AM..

Old 10-03-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
They had David Axelrod on NBC last night and he was asked if they(Obama) were considering another stimulus and he said "not at this time". So I wonder if this was after the fact.
Quote:
It's the Washington-code: Axelrod was asked about another package and he said no. But in fact, there is a move to extend the February stimulus still in effect.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
It's the Washington-code: Axelrod was asked about another package and he said no. But in fact, there is a move to extend the February stimulus still in effect.
I think what concerns me the most with this is will we be put off because of this-as in we need a short term fix-then they can fight over the specifics. Not slamming you Diorgirl...slamming the talking heads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment