U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 AM

3,814 posts, read 10,235,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurfer2000h View Post
This might interest you. I found this little bit of info ....

S.1647
Title: A bill to provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Reed, Jack [RI] (introduced 8/7/2009) Cosponsors (16)
Related Bills: H.R.3404, H.R.3548
Latest Major Action: 8/7/2009 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance.
COSPONSORS(16), ALPHABETICAL [followed by Cosponsors withdrawn]: (Sort: by date)
Sen Begich, Mark [AK] - 8/7/2009Sen Boxer, Barbara [CA] - 8/7/2009Sen Brown, Sherrod [OH] - 8/7/2009Sen Burris, Roland [IL] - 8/7/2009Sen Byrd, Robert C. [WV] - 9/30/2009Sen Cardin, Benjamin L. [MD] - 8/7/2009Sen Durbin, Richard [IL] - 8/7/2009Sen Franken, Al [MN] - 8/7/2009Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] - 8/7/2009Sen Lautenberg, Frank R. [NJ] - 8/7/2009Sen Levin, Carl [MI] - 8/7/2009Sen Menendez, Robert [NJ] - 8/7/2009Sen Schumer, Charles E. [NY] - 8/7/2009Sen Shaheen, Jeanne [NH] - 9/25/2009Sen Stabenow, Debbie [MI] - 8/7/2009Sen Whitehouse, Sheldon [RI] - 8/7/2009

If the NH senator is the one who voted no then why did she cosponsor the bill on 09/25/09 obviously it was something she liked then.Interesting to say the least.
Pressure from her own state.

After HR 3548 was passed by the House and its companion bill (S.1647) was introduced in the Senate, some dissenting members of the House -- whose states' unemployment rates were too low to trigger HR 3548 -- started a small revolution in the House.

They demanded that the House reconsider the bill it had already passed. The dissenters wanted this to be addressed after the Senate also passed it -- in the final discussion to be had in Conference Committee (before it goes to the President for signature).

So Shaheen decided to do the same thing in the Senate -- before the passage, so she would get the credit from her own state. Unfortunately -- like her colleagues in the house -- Shaheen has been unable to rally any supporters before the bill will be passed by the Senate. But she is being a very effective speed bump for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:41 AM

309 posts, read 564,822 times
what happened to 1699 or is that going to be bacus's bill?
there is so much stuff going on and i thought sheehan wanted a ammend to arra
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
i dont care how many weeks they give me. i just need to pay bills. they can revisit later and do what needs to be done before we all loose everything

Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 AM

I just got off the phone with a very nice young man from sen. sheehans office.
202-224-2841.

The bill to watch for is hr3548.(the one House passed)

it is being sponsored by baucus /reed.
sheehan is tacking on an ammend. to it for she insists all states.

we will either get a minimum of 4 weeks or 13 weeks depending on variables.
it is supposed to be voted on this week.
no later than next week we should be getting our money and all votes on the bill ..et al that concerns it finalized.

according to this intern, there are a few in senate that understand this is a crisis!!
that there are people that can't PAY for ANY thing anymore cause all ui/euc/seb ran out.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 AM

189 posts, read 261,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginamae38 View Post
what happened to 1699 or is that going to be bacus's bill?
there is so much stuff going on and i thought sheehan wanted a ammend to arra
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
i dont care how many weeks they give me. i just need to pay bills. they can revisit later and do what needs to be done before we all loose everything
S 1647 is the bill number that my friend that is the Senators Legislative Assistant told me was the companion or that is what they told her when she called Congress to find out the status of the bill for me. I later called Congress too because I thought it was suppose to be S 1699 and Christy in told me that S 1647 and S 1699 is all tied to H.R. 3548.

here is the original e-mail that she sent me so it might make better sense. I have deleted names to protect the innocent!!

[LEFT][SIZE=2][SIZE=3]I checked with Congress *****'s office and was told that the bill H.R. 3548 was tied to Senate bill 1647, which was put into the Senate Finance Committee on 9/22 but that was all the information they had about it. I think I have read that that issue was being discussed and that a decision was to be made pretty soon. I'll let you know if I hear anything more.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/LEFT]
LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Genie
[/LEFT]

I just wrote her to see if she has any updates. Not trying to get people all anxious with "rumors" but I would think that if you work for the Senator you might know something at least. Someone awhile back when I wrote that this bill 1647 was suppose to be the companion bill after I told her what Genie told me, that someone in that office didn't know what they were talking about but maybe now it may very well be the case if what she said and also what diorgirl posted above is true then there may be some validity to it.

Last edited by dianeparker56; 10-06-2009 at 11:25 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 11:46 AM

175 posts, read 309,802 times
Thank you guys so much for making these calls. I'm busting my butt with artwork trying to get enough to pay the bills, so while I am emailing, I can't find time to call. I REALLY appreciate the time you are putting into finding out info for us. *HUGE HUGS* I can't thank y'all enough!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:02 PM

727 posts, read 929,765 times
I just went on cspan and is the Senate even in session today as they are showing more of the health care reform debate.
I find it amazing that our Senators have no clue as to what is going on in the real world. If that is the case, then they need to resign as how can they be our voice if they don't actually know the reality of our world.
As for Senator Sheehan. Why did she not bring this up before Friday? The longer they stall-the more it hurts us. ON another note-not getting the obnoxous comments on the seed from Larry Kudlow as I thought-although some negative comments and I expected that.
If anyone finds anything-let us know as it seems to be the same stuff every day. At least we now know what Bill to follow.
I read on another forum that they talked about the unemployment situation around 1:30. Did anyone catch it? And if so-where is all this?

Last edited by flyfishva; 10-06-2009 at 02:15 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 02:22 PM

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/hearings.asp?formmode=view&id=8079 (broken link)

Sen. Jeanne Shaheen says that when the Senate returns to Capitol Hill today, she will continue her push to extend unemployment benefits to out-of-work residents of all 50 states.

The New Hampshire Democrat has taken a leading role in an effort to more fairly distribute extended unemployment benefits, saying the pain of being jobless knows no geographic boundaries.

Shaheen said in a telephone interview yesterday it is unclear if the unemployment benefit issue will be taken up by the Senate today, but she said action is expected shortly.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...0-e1f3e9ff65d7

Last edited by flyfishva; 10-06-2009 at 02:34 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 02:38 PM

Has anyone read this
Jobless Americans paying big price for others’ crimes - TheHill.com

Old 10-06-2009, 02:52 PM

Senate could vote soon on jobless benefits | Politics | Reuters

While some details remained unresolved, the measure could come up for a vote in the Senate within days, said an aide to Democratic Senator Jeanne Shaheen, who argued that the legislation was too narrowly targeted.

Shaheen objected to legislation passed by the House that would extend benefits for jobless workers only in states where the unemployment rate is above 8.5 percent. The unemployment rate was 6.8 percent in August in Shaheen's home state of New Hampshire.

A vote in the Senate could come by the end of the week, according to Senate aides who asked not to be identified.
She is the reason that this thing has stalled and it is BS.....

Old 10-06-2009, 02:56 PM

Senate Could Vote Soon on Jobless Benefit
By REUTERS
Published: October 6, 2009
Filed at 3:32 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - With U.S. unemployment rising, lawmakers hope to resolve a logjam this week on a measure that would extend jobless benefits for those who already may have exhausted them, Senate aides said on Tuesday.
Congressional leaders had hoped to extend benefits before the end of September, when some 400,000 recipients were expected to use them up. But while the House of Representatives last month passed a bill, jobless benefits legislation stalled in the Senate due to a dispute over how many workers should be eligible.
While some details remained unresolved, the measure could come up for a vote in the Senate within days, said an aide to Democratic Senator Jeanne Shaheen, who argued that the legislation was too narrowly targeted.
Shaheen objected to legislation passed by the House that would extend benefits for jobless workers only in states where the unemployment rate is above 8.5 percent. The unemployment rate was 6.8 percent in August in Shaheen's home state of New Hampshire.
A vote in the Senate could come by the end of the week, according to Senate aides who asked not to be identified.
A compromise measure drafted by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus would give workers in hard-hit states an additional 13 weeks of benefits, while those in states like New Hampshire that have not suffered as badly would get an extra four weeks.
Shaheen hopes to broaden that to an extra 17 weeks for jobless workers in all states, an aide to the senator said. Both versions would extend a temporary tax on employers for at least two years to avoid adding to the budget deficit.
Unemployed workers typically are eligible for up to 26 weeks of payments from the government as they look for another job. Congress already has extended that limit twice to help those who lost their jobs in the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression of the 1930s. Some workers are now eligible for up to 79 weeks of unemployment benefits.
Once the Senate passes a jobless benefits measure, senators would have to iron out differences with the House-passed bill in a conference committee. The version hammered out by the conference committee would then have to be passed by the House and Senate before President Barack Obama could sign it into law.
The national unemployment rate rose to 9.8 percent in September, the highest figure since 1983, and is expected to remain high into next year even as the economy recovers. More than one-third of those unemployed have been out of work for more than six months.
(Editing by Will Dunham)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment