U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 PM

461 posts, read 817,659 times

Advertisements

Capitol Hill Reports - Shaheen to Propose Unemployment Benefits Extension for All 50 States

check this out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:26 PM

285 posts, read 582,174 times
What is going on with these people who have their jobs with no fear unless they are up for re-election. Now they prey upon the unemployed by stalling using the "let's help everyone". I like the idea of e=helping all states because it is unfair, toally unfair to leave them out when "unemployed" is exactly as it is U-N-E-M-P-L-O-Y-E-D. But people in the Congress, fight later and extend benefits now. Why must you do this to people who have already experienced hardships. We are having problems paying rent, mortgages, utilities, car payments, college tuition and on and on and on, need I go on and on about this. It is insane that you who we have voted into office are acting like you have lost touch with reality and we are here, the reality = the unemployed. So E-N-O-U-G-H
already and let the Bill come before the floor and do the right thing EXTEND UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS!!!!!!!!

Hey People Keep Your Head UP^

Old 10-07-2009, 06:26 AM

727 posts, read 929,842 times
I take it nothing has been passed

Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 AM

http://finance.senate.gov/press/Bpress/2009press/prb100609.pdf (broken link)
This is not a done deal-Why ABC news would report that it was is horrible.
Well no deal..Shaheen is holding up the whole works with a new amendment she intends to put forth today. Where has she been the last 2 months-what all of a sudden it's a life or death deal? Just pass something that benefits the jobless Americans and do it now. Our US Senate-words like inept come to mind.
You guys are welcome to chastise me about the ABC news plug-someone needs to catch hell for it!
http://www.reuters.com/article/polit...5955RU20091006
Someone up in the Senate-PASS A BILL!
I think we all need to email-call Shaheen's office today and wear them out. Why would she wait till last minute to create a new amendment? I can understand her wanting to get more benefits for her people but where the hell has she been the last couple months? All of a sudden it is now an issue. She is directly responsible for the stall with the passage of any Bill right now with her new amendment this thing is in the beginning stages. As Diorgirl and Dianeparker have posted numerious times-they will have to follow procedure.
Personally at this point, I could careless what we get-just give us something and then re-address it. This is a perfect example of our Government process NOT at work as the people the Bill is intended for are the ones who get left out by the posturing and showmanship. I will be voicing my displeasure in the voting booth-if you are an incombent-I'm voting you out.
Done with my rant! And all of this is exhausting not to mention the stress....

Last edited by flyfishva; 10-07-2009 at 07:08 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 07:12 AM

29 posts, read 35,882 times
Quote:
You guys are welcome to chastise me about the ABC news plug-someone needs to catch hell for it!
Ok flyfishva, I'll chastise you! Grrrrr, shame for shame, for passing along that info.......however, I understand that it was an honest mistake and so you are off the hook. I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks now. It is the best source of information regarding this issue that I've found on the internet. Mistakes are bound to be made, overall, this is an extremely informative thread and I'm grateful to those of you who keep the rest of us abreast of what's going on with this issue. Many thanks to all of you!

As for that New York reporter, someone should really do something about that misinformation!

Old 10-07-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2co0 View Post
Ok flyfishva, I'll chastise you! Grrrrr, shame for shame, for passing along that info.......however, I understand that it was an honest mistake and so you are off the hook. I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks now. It is the best source of information regarding this issue that I've found on the internet. Mistakes are bound to be made, overall, this is an extremely informative thread and I'm grateful to those of you who keep the rest of us abreast of what's going on with this issue. Many thanks to all of you!

As for that New York reporter, someone should really do something about that misinformation!
Grovel-grovel..I did my best to check it out and yet when I could not find anything on Reuters and AP, I knew something was up as this is BIG news. Good to hear we are providing credible(for the most part) information. We try as it benefits all of us. Welcome to our board.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 AM

I wrote yet another article on newsvine. Please vote after you comment and take the poll. Opinions welcome!!
Newsvine - The Senate-"Where Bills go to Die"

Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 AM

27 posts, read 47,582 times
Thank all of you for these very wonderful postings. Hope it passes soon for all of our sakes. To really make matters worse, I got a call from a collection agency that said I had to pay them for college library fines from 25 years ago or they would report it to the credit reporting companies. I never got a bill. Called the college and they told me even though they never sent me a bill the charges were reactivated over a year ago when I called with a question and that even though they never told me owed the money it could still be sent to a collection agency. After pleading and telling them I was unemployed they worked out a plan. Well, I guess I just wanted to vent, I just about had a heart attack when they called me, I'm so worried about just keeping a roof over my head.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 AM

40 posts, read 63,155 times
I just sent an email to Senator Shaheen via Congress.org. Basically stating the same sentiments as the rest of you all. The action is appreciated but why wait til NOW to try and push this through. Ridiculous. If they would just pass a bill for ALL states for a much longer time span then these bills wouldn't have to keep coming up to get voted on.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 AM

40 posts, read 63,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherhill View Post
I just sent an email to Senator Shaheen via Congress.org. Basically stating the same sentiments as the rest of you all. The action is appreciated but why wait til NOW to try and push this through. Ridiculous. If they would just pass a bill for ALL states for a much longer time span then these bills wouldn't have to keep coming up to get voted on.

I am sure this has been posted already, but here's her direct contact information again:

Jeanne Shaheen - United States Senator for New Hampshire: Contact
Manchester district office at 603-647-7500
Washington, D.C. office at 202-224-2841
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment