U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM

727 posts, read 929,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blromious View Post
Fly, interesting over on The Vine. Mr.Kudlow really needs to come from out of his cubicle and get to know The Unemployed of America. He really seems to be out of touch with the world, but he's going to be ok.
Agreed! He has a typical Republican conservative attitude and outlook. Just think if the House and Senate were mostly Republican-we would probably not get anything. Not being hateful-just my opinion as lately they seem to be the party of NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 02:27 PM

Anybody heard anything? The Senate is behind closed doors today, so I seriously doubt we will hear anything. Found this on the Congress Daily website, but you have to have a paid subscription to view the full article and I'm not paying-
Action On Jobless Aid Bill Expected Soon In Senate

Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2009
Senate Democrats hope to pass a bill to extend unemployment benefits in 50 states by next week, Democratic aides said Tuesday. Democratic and Republican staffers said they expect the bill on the floor after the chamber passes pending ...
by Dan Friedman
As we all know, Monday they are off so once again with the waiting. Frankly, I think it a pretty sad commentary on our elected offcials and supposidly "our voice" in Washington.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:17 PM

29 posts, read 35,876 times
Things just keep getting moved from one week to the next. I ran out of benefits the end of Sept. That article above says I won't get retroactive benefits for all the time these guys have been holding things up. One week, two weeks, three weeks.......the landlord wants his money NOW and he can't even get it later without retroactive.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM

Hang in there jd2co0-we all are right there with you. Hopefully, this week (?)-next week (?) we get passage of one of the Bills that has been co-sponsored. At this point, I think we all just want benefits-nothing more and nothing less.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:03 PM

From US News and World Report:

Congress Talks Unemployment Extensions and Hiring Tax Credit

By Liz Wolgemuth
Posted: October 7, 2009

As early as tomorrow, the Senate is expected to begin debating a measure that would provide an extension of unemployment benefits to all States. The House recently passed an extension, but it provided for aid only to the jobless in states with high unemployment rates. The Senate bill was introduced by Sen. Max Baucus of Montana, where the unemployment rate is just 6.6 percent, compared to 9.8 percent nationwide. If Montana looks good, however--with just a little over 33,000 unemployed workers in September--keep in mind that the number of unemployed has jumped by 75 percent since the start of the recession.
Baucus would pay for the benefits extension with a tax extension-pushing the federal unemployment tax through the end of 2011. While many Republicans would likely be resistant to a tax extension, no one in Congress would argue with the need to prevent a greater threat to the economy--that of 1.5 million Americans exhausting their benefits by the end of the year, as the National Employment Law Project estimates. Former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan has even come out in support of the benefit extension.
There may also be bipartisan support for giving a tax credit to employers who make new hires. House Minority Whip Rep. Eric Cantor said there was "a lot of traction for this kind of idea," and that Congress would welcome White House efforts in that regard. However, Cantor's office today told the Hill that his statement was mischaracterized. Cantor was instead speaking generally about small-business job creation, not the specific tax credit which is "'inefficient and cumbersome," a spokesman says.
One issue with a hiring tax credit, last used in the 1970s, is fraud. Back in January, the Wall Street Journal reported the same proposal had little support from Congress:
During the campaign in October, Mr. Obama had proposed a tax credit of $3,000 for each new hire made by businesses, in response to mounting job losses. Transition aides were determined to keep that promise in his economic-recovery package, but the proposal has come under strong criticism on Capitol Hill, with many members of Mr. Obama's own party raising concerns about its effectiveness.
Economists of all political stripes have said businesses would likely claim the credit for hires they would have made anyway, or worse, lay off workers simply to rehire them and claim the tax break. "That's one that gets a lot of opposition," said Sen. Charles Schumer, a New York Democrat.

Bla, Bla, bla.........Pass the BILL!! Do it NOW!!! This is getting beyond ridiculous!

Last edited by flyfishva; 10-07-2009 at 04:11 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 04:16 PM

Is it DianeParker that has an inside connection? If so, DianeParker-what have you heard or could you ask your friend who works for someone?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:42 PM

189 posts, read 261,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
Is it DianeParker that has an inside connection? If so, DianeParker-what have you heard or could you ask your friend who works for someone?
Fly, I got this e-mail from her yesterday but she's in Washington right now with the Senator working on the Health Care Reform. I e-mailed her to see if she could give me the number to call if she's too busy with the Senator. She is actually the Senators Legislative Assistant.

[LEFT]Diane,

I do wish that I could give you good news, but I haven't heard anything about any of the bills you mentioned. But then again, I probably wouldn't hear anything unless I contacted one of the members of Congress, which I haven't done since our last correspondence but will try to after we get out of session.

Genie
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 10-07-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeparker56 View Post
Fly, I got this e-mail from her yesterday but she's in Washington right now with the Senator working on the Health Care Reform. I e-mailed her to see if she could give me the number to call if she's too busy with the Senator. She is actually the Senators Legislative Assistant.

[LEFT]Diane,

I do wish that I could give you good news, but I haven't heard anything about any of the bills you mentioned. But then again, I probably wouldn't hear anything unless I contacted one of the members of Congress, which I haven't done since our last correspondence but will try to after we get out of session.

Genie

[/LEFT]
Cool. I figured you would have posted if you heard anything.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:57 PM

189 posts, read 261,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
Cool. I figured you would have posted if you heard anything.
I would have posted that but it didn't seem real positive so I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up so I am now waiting to hear from her again.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:05 PM

461 posts, read 817,570 times
Unemployment extension update: bill to hit Senate floor later this week

October 07, 2009 10:37 AM EDT
views: 5000 | rating: 10/10 (1 vote) | comments: 15

According to Capitol Hill Reports,
"Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) is planning to offer an amendment to the House-passed Unemployment Compensation Extension Act (H.R. 3548) that would extend emergency unemployment benefits by an additional 17 weeks for all 50 states. Shaheen's office indicated that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) intends to bring H.R. 3548 to the floor later this week."
This is great news because this amendment will a) lengthen the unemployment benefits extension to 17 weeks over the original 13 and especially b) extend coverage to all 50 states. This is what the House should have established in the original bill.
It's too bad that Reid is waiting until "later this week" to bring this bill to the Senate floor, but this is the most definite news I've seen about the details and timeline on this legislation. I'm heartened by this news and anxious for Congress to pass this legislation to help the thousands of Americans who so desperately need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment