U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 08:25 AM

727 posts, read 929,765 times

Advertisements

Now that I have fully taken control of this board-(sorry) I am seeding that article I have clipped to on Newsvine yesterday. Enough of this BS. I might seed every other article I posted on here today and just make Newsvine an unemployment forum today.
Ideas anyone?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 AM

There is a Conressman who actually has a colum on Newsvine. I just emailed him in reference to when the Bills might be brought up in the Senate and voted on. He is a Republican, so I doubt I will get any good info-but if he replies, I will post here.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 AM

3,814 posts, read 10,235,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dax666 View Post
I'm no economics major, but what if they lowered the age limit to receive social security benefits creating more job openings? Allow this for a limited time of course just to relieve the pressure of unemployment. These people could still work part-time without affecting their S.S. benefits.
The issue with Social Security is that for the past several years -- because of the increasing number of Baby Boomers ready to enter the system at traditional retirement of age 65 -- that system has been raising the retirement age beyond 65 for full earned benefits.

This has been worsened by the reality that more people in the system are living longer -- and collecting Social Security benefits longer than expected.

The Social Security system is very poorly funded itself -- and is barely keeping up with claims for earned benefits, even as they raise the age eligibility requirements. Financially, the system could not sustain the volume of new claimants if it lowered the eligibility age.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 AM

Okay-I seeded yet another article about the Senate's stall with passage of a Bill extending the jobless benefits. I know I ask much of all of you-but would you be so kind and go leave comments and vote it up the vine? Much thanks!!!
Newsvine - Jobless Americans paying big price for others' crimes

Old 10-08-2009, 09:25 AM

9 posts, read 9,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The issue with Social Security is that for the past several years -- because of the increasing number of Baby Boomers ready to enter the system at traditional retirement of age 65 -- that system has been raising the retirement age beyond 65 for full earned benefits.

This has been worsened by the reality that more people in the system are living longer -- and collecting Social Security benefits longer than expected.

The Social Security system is very poorly funded itself -- and is barely keeping up with claims for earned benefits, even as they raise the age eligibility requirements. Financially, the system could not sustain the volume of new claimants if it lowered the eligibility age.
You're right, but the everyday we (age 50>) stayed unemployed the less of a chance we will find gainful (more than minimum wage) employment. Once unemployment goes away (it won't last forever) what will we have? Even if any of us get a job do you see retirement in the future??? We need to do something NOW. Does anyone know the percentage of people over 55 who have lost their job over a year ago and are working today? It has to be huge.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:38 AM

40 posts, read 63,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
Okay-I seeded yet another article about the Senate's stall with passage of a Bill extending the jobless benefits. I know I ask much of all of you-but would you be so kind and go leave comments and vote it up the vine? Much thanks!!!
Newsvine - Jobless Americans paying big price for others' crimes
I am trying to register with this site but it's giving me problems. I will keep trying!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 AM

95 posts, read 181,575 times
i dont know if this is posted here yet or not. BUT OMG!!!

it breaks my heart and sickens me at the same time.

Cobo a scene of desperation | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20091008/NEWS05/910080464/1318/Cobo-a-scene-of-desperation - broken link)

Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 4,079 times
Keep up the Faith!!! I am unemployed and have been since June 2008. I got fired b/c the new office manager taking over happened to be one of the employees that always caused trouble in the office and I had to be the one to straighten her out on many occasions. Therefore, I got punished and was told they could no longer use my services.... I was working in a very busy cardiologists office. The fact I even got unemployment showed that I was fired unjustly not because of my work record. I will have to admit that when some of you guys would talk about republicans ( which I USED to be) it made me mad but now seeing how they vote is just plan ludicrous.... SERIOUSLY, I understand now that the republicans just want to keep the money in their pockets and just "hope" for the best on everyone else!!!!!!! I have changed to undecided for very good reasons....
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK PEOPLE B/C WITHOUT Y'ALL WE WOULD NEVER KNOW ANYTHING!!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by get well View Post
Keep up the Faith!!! I am unemployed and have been since June 2008. I got fired b/c the new office manager taking over happened to be one of the employees that always caused trouble in the office and I had to be the one to straighten her out on many occasions. Therefore, I got punished and was told they could no longer use my services.... I was working in a very busy cardiologists office. The fact I even got unemployment showed that I was fired unjustly not because of my work record. I will have to admit that when some of you guys would talk about republicans ( which I USED to be) it made me mad but now seeing how they vote is just plan ludicrous.... SERIOUSLY, I understand now that the republicans just want to keep the money in their pockets and just "hope" for the best on everyone else!!!!!!! I have changed to undecided for very good reasons....
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK PEOPLE B/C WITHOUT Y'ALL WE WOULD NEVER KNOW ANYTHING!!!!!!!
The lack of any action is from both sides of the aisle and frankly enough is enough.
Today is Thursday and that means.......the weekly BS jobless claims report-go read this and leave a comment. The 400,000 who lost their benefits last month(that is us)and now NOT COUNTED have lead the weekly report to claim that we are in recovery due to the fact that less jobless claims were paid out last week. BULL*@#*!!
Go leave some comments-it's a busy board...
Newsvine - Jobless claims drop more than expected

Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherhill View Post
I am trying to register with this site but it's giving me problems. I will keep trying!
Thanks for the Newsvine comment sherhill and a good one at that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment