U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2009, 05:18 PM

461 posts, read 670,235 times
The Georgia Department of Labor told me that 35,000 letters went out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginamae38 View Post
each state has the authority to do it how they wish... henceforth it is SEB (state extended benefits).
in ga there are no mail ins,
it is 2 per week job contacts on two different days.
You will get your money mid june
if you apply online on 5/22 and on 5/31 certify for that week and the week previous which was 5/24. there is no retro.It is payable 5/24 on.
it will be for 80% of your orginial claim or 20 weeks whichever is the lesser.
I was at the dol monday of this week to start a new benefit year and it was explained to me.
we will get our money before our determiniation letter as they only mailed letters to those who qualify.
nothing mentioned anywhere about appeals.
you qualify if you exhausted on 2/15/09 or after.
i brought my job search with me and they didnt want to see it.
good luck
Who told you we would get the money mid June? Does that mean once you certify of 5/31 the check won't be released on 6/2. Checks are cut on Tuesday's. The money should be there start sending checks after you certify. I know last time I got 4 weeks in one check, but if the money is already there they should start sending them.
All they check for is to see if you have worked any during that time and that takes only the touch of a button on the computer. The ones that still haven't found a job and has not worked anywhere is the ones the letters went out to..............

Old 05-14-2009, 08:13 PM

231 posts, read 253,783 times
I thought SEB was based on BYE, therefore anyone who still had an active claim would be eligible for EB, even if they did not have anymore funds in their account. Maybe I misunderstood after reading HB581.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:48 AM

2,365 posts, read 7,643,834 times
I hope that is all true, but I searced on the Georgia UC website on the behalf of two posters and could find NOTHING on EB!!!!

There is Plenty of INfomation regarding EUC, but NOT emergency benefits!!! As of 5/12/09! And my U.C. officer told me yesterday 5/14/09, that the EB beneifts were FEDERAL NOT, State.

Cheers!

p.s. Just so, we are talking about the same thing, EUC is extended Unemloyment Compensation and EB are Emergency Benefits. The EUC was given by both Bush and Obama. And the EmergencyBenefits were given by Obama.

I have read that states, whose citizens were running out of EUC extended it from 20 to 33 weeks. And yes, Each State has a right to decide to WHOM they will give those EUC or EB benefits to.

Most are giving it to the more recently unemployed than the long term unemployed!

good luck!!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:18 AM

309 posts, read 470,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaskye07 View Post
Who told you we would get the money mid June? Does that mean once you certify of 5/31 the check won't be released on 6/2. Checks are cut on Tuesday's. The money should be there start sending checks after you certify. I know last time I got 4 weeks in one check, but if the money is already there they should start sending them.
All they check for is to see if you have worked any during that time and that takes only the touch of a button on the computer. The ones that still haven't found a job and has not worked anywhere is the ones the letters went out to..............
The lady who opened my new claim year said mid june for funds to be given out and we would get about 4 weeks at the first payment. I dont think the DoL is going to have anything on their website besides what is there now before 5/22 .
be;ieve me i want it to come sooner- I'm facing eviction long before they are saying it is coming. i dont know why there is a hold up and no one can seem to tellme and i told the lady if their was minimum wage jobs available i would take one and i thought they just wanted us off the rolls so numbers would go down.
side note= ga is about to get even worse now with all the dealerships closing and the job claims jumped. its like the dol is punishing us for being long term unemployed

PS does anyone know if we are going to get that $25 per week increase that we had during our tiers?

Last edited by ginamae38; 05-15-2009 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: added a ?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:58 AM

When did your claim year end? I got my last second tier check on March 17, 2009. Why did you have to do a new claim year...
I don't think we will have to wait that long before the checks start coming. I hope not..

Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 19,622 times
They call it a new claim year when the year anniversity arrives since your initial claim. I had to file for a new claim in November, since I worked on a few meager jobs, and got regular Unemployment for 17 weeks. For example, if your initial claim was in April 2008, your claim year would be up in April 2009 and you would have to go to the DOL and reapply. They stopped my original EUC when my claim year was up, but reinstated it when my UI ended. They aim to confuse!

Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM

309 posts, read 470,226 times
exactly
april 08 -april 09

Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 PM

I talked with the GDL today and they said that I didn't have to open a new claim. My claim year had not ended. She also said they really didn't know any more than we did about it. The state hasn't send them anything other than a letter like we got. She said fill out the application on the 22nd and then certify on the 31st.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:57 PM

75 posts, read 155,648 times
I spoke to a supervisor on Friday, getting a letter does not assure you SEB benefits. The letter if you read it, it states your eligibilty is based on the information you provide on the on-line application. Iam thinking its a little more complicated than just receiving a letter. Because according to the GDOL supervisor even if you don't receive a letter, that does not mean you won't get benefits. I guess the only way to know for sure, is to wait and see if you get a check. He also said for the people that did'nt get a letter was to go ahead and apply on-line May 22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment