U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 AM

285 posts, read 582,334 times

Advertisements

Dear BuLinda Moore:

Thank you for writing me. I have heard from many
Americans who are losing their jobs and struggling to pay their
bills. Every day, I meet with my economic advisors to make sure
we are doing all we can to create good jobs and help Americans
support their families and pursue the American Dream.

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act was the
first step to spur job growth and ease the pain of unemployment.
This measure saves or creates millions of jobs here at home in
industries such as alterative energy, health care, and construction.
It has already provided relief to many unemployed Americans by
extending and increasing emergency unemployment compensation
and increasing access to health insurance. My 2010 Budget will
expand these efforts by modernizing the unemployment insurance
system and expanding health coverage to more workers.

My Administration is protecting American jobs by
emphasizing job training in industries that cannot be outsourced.
Recently laid-off workers receiving unemployment benefits have
new opportunities to pursue higher education and job training
programs, including easier access to Pell Grants. To encourage job
creation in the United States, I am replacing tax laws that send jobs
overseas with new incentives to create them here at home, and
available assistance can be found online at:
www.dol.gov/recovery/implement.htm or www.opportunity.gov.

Together, we can help more Americans find and keep good
jobs and enjoy a healthy standard of living. To locate an
employment center near you, select your state at:
www.dol.gov/dol/location.htm. For information on benefits and
opportunities for those out of work, I encourage you to visit:
www.dol.gov/dol/audience/aud-unemployed.htm. To find career
resources, you may call 1-877-872-5627 visit or visit:
www.careeronestop.org .

While it will take time to turn our economy around, I am confident
that we will emerge from this crisis stronger than before.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 AM

727 posts, read 930,239 times
I'm telling you any Bill that comes up in the closed door sessions is being filibusted to the back of the line. The rate these knuckleheads are going-maybe by the end of the year we will have something. This is what is wrong with our political system-cash for clunkers went thru immediatly and yet something that would benefit jobless Americans has become a fight. All of them should be embarrassed at how little they do for us the taxpayer. Can't wait for elelctions!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM

Hey People this is I guess something that maybe everyone gets. This is not what I asked but I wanted him to be aware that we need drastic measures NOW and I am waiting for about a hundred more from Senators and some of their aides, just any one that I can contact including some journalists. We are going to be ok soon , Keep Your Head Up!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM

727 posts, read 930,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blromious View Post
Dear BuLinda Moore:

Thank you for writing me. I have heard from many
Americans who are losing their jobs and struggling to pay their
bills. Every day, I meet with my economic advisors to make sure
we are doing all we can to create good jobs and help Americans
support their families and pursue the American Dream.

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act was the
first step to spur job growth and ease the pain of unemployment.
This measure saves or creates millions of jobs here at home in
industries such as alterative energy, health care, and construction.
It has already provided relief to many unemployed Americans by
extending and increasing emergency unemployment compensation
and increasing access to health insurance. My 2010 Budget will
expand these efforts by modernizing the unemployment insurance
system and expanding health coverage to more workers.

My Administration is protecting American jobs by
emphasizing job training in industries that cannot be outsourced.
Recently laid-off workers receiving unemployment benefits have
new opportunities to pursue higher education and job training
programs, including easier access to Pell Grants. To encourage job
creation in the United States, I am replacing tax laws that send jobs
overseas with new incentives to create them here at home, and
available assistance can be found online at:
www.dol.gov/recovery/implement.htm or www.opportunity.gov.

Together, we can help more Americans find and keep good
jobs and enjoy a healthy standard of living. To locate an
employment center near you, select your state at:
www.dol.gov/dol/location.htm. For information on benefits and
opportunities for those out of work, I encourage you to visit:
www.dol.gov/dol/audience/aud-unemployed.htm. To find career
resources, you may call 1-877-872-5627 visit or visit:
www.careeronestop.org .

While it will take time to turn our economy around, I am confident
that we will emerge from this crisis stronger than before.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
You got the standard BS reply-although at least you got a reply. I have written to the White House numerous times and have yet to receive anything from them.
I firmly believe that there is going to be a fight over the passage of ANY Bill. Obama has to save face as he is not going to come out and say(admit) the Stimulus is not working. But the longer they put this off-the worse for them it is going to be. I'd say take it to the street but how and will it accomplish anything? Might get us local news exposure-maybe national???
Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 AM

3,814 posts, read 10,239,284 times
Default NELP reports a "closed door" agreement reached

Another member on a New Jersey thread reports a conversation with a woman in NELP's New York office (212-285-3025 EXT 322, contact Andreatte).

The contact said that the following new proposal was agreed on last night [apparently in closed meetings]:

20 weeks for states above 8.5 percent
14 weeks for all other states

She further said that the Senate is going to try to pass the bill by "unanimous consent." However if anyone objects there would be a vote.

She speculated that it probably won't make the floor today or tomorrow -- but maybe Tuesday.

No one else has been able to confirm this report so far.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...b-part-56.html

Old 10-08-2009, 11:41 AM

309 posts, read 565,023 times
Default i understand that

what worries me is all the new stuff being sent to finance comm (which bacus is on)that ppl keep coming out of the woodwork with at this late date to keep holding up everything. they have had plenty of time to do this and why wait till now is all i'm trying to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
It has been reported that Senators Reid and Baucus will not allow anything to reach the Senate floor for debate until they have enough votes lined up to pass it by consensus.

A floor debate on unemployment extensions would delay any proposed bill and further embarrass the Senate leadership -- who have been unable to get their members to agree on Health Care Reform in a more timely manner.

Last edited by ginamae38; 10-08-2009 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 AM

309 posts, read 565,023 times
Default someone else

some one had written this morning that shaheen was responsible for new bill. I was following up on that.
She is supporting an ammend to hr3548/i had posted that the other day after i called her office

Quote:
This is not the Shaheen bill. It is a different bill introduced by Welch and co-sponsored by Perriello, explained in an earlier posting here.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:48 AM

How can President Obama allow this political sabotage to take place. We need him to take control of The Hill as Commander-in-Chief, his people are demanding that the unemployed not be lead to destruction by his arrogant escape goats. The Senate is playing with our lives and it must stop. I have to go because this "S" going on is a mockery of his cabinet.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:48 AM

189 posts, read 261,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dax666 View Post
Couldn't agree with you more Diane. So much of what you say pertains to eveyone here. What is it going to take to wake up these people in D.C.? How in the world do they think we're coming out of the recession? These people need a reality check. We are falling further and further behind and even if I ever got a job I'm afraid I'll never dig myself out. I'm 57, and like you said, no one wants to pay for experience. They want younger workers who they can pay minimum wage to. I'm no economics major, but what if they lowered the age limit to receive social security benefits creating more job openings? Allow this for a limited time of course just to relieve the pressure of unemployment. These people could still work part-time without affecting their S.S. benefits. Believe me, I would rather work than be unemployed, but there are no jobs out there. Please Washington, help us. We elected you as the "Pied Piper" and you're leading us to drown.
Thanks Dax for the comments. I was afraid people on here thought I went postal last night with anger since I normally don't speak my mind too much but it shames and hurts me to see so many people in need and nobody is busting their can to get to the podium to demand assistance for everyone. Even if we do get an interview, the ones with the most experience will have the less opportunities for that position because they know that once the economy picks up we all will either demand what we are worth or go out and get another job that pays what we are worth therefore, they lose a lot of money and time in training.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:52 AM

3,814 posts, read 10,239,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
Let me tell you about VA as that is my home State. It is mostly Republican and extremely conservative. When they passed the last round of SEB we just received-VA declined or rather the Republicans declined to accept the money. That should tell you volumes right there. Now for the Perillio guy to come back and justify his voting NO is just a bunch of crap. VA turned down the money because they told the voters they would have to raise the UI taxes when the reality was and is it was totally Federally funded. Now he wants to come back after the fact and claim Virginians need help?Liar-liar pants on fire. VA is all about the rich-huge disparity between the haves and the have nots. And it is very expensive to live there-makes this place look like discount land.
Got it -- you don't like VA politicians. More importantly, there is a report that an agreement has been reached in a closed door meeting in the Senate. See my earlier post reprinted below.

Quote:
Another member on a New Jersey thread reports a conversation with a woman in NELP's New York office (212-285-3025 EXT 322, contact Andreatte).

The contact said that the following new proposal was agreed on last night [apparently in closed meetings]:

20 weeks for states above 8.5 percent
14 weeks for all other states

She further said that the Senate is going to try to pass the bill by "unanimous consent." However if anyone objects there would be a vote.

She speculated that it probably won't make the floor today or tomorrow -- but maybe Tuesday.

No one else has been able to confirm this report so far.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...b-part-56.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment