U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 AM

309 posts, read 564,848 times

Advertisements

he hasn't a clue.

there is No Struggle here-

I can't pay!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blromious View Post
Dear BuLinda Moore:

Thank you for writing me. I have heard from many
Americans who are losing their jobs and struggling to pay their
bills. Every day, I meet with my economic advisors to make sure
we are doing all we can to create good jobs and help Americans
support their families and pursue the American Dream.

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act was the
first step to spur job growth and ease the pain of unemployment.
This measure saves or creates millions of jobs here at home in
industries such as alterative energy, health care, and construction.
It has already provided relief to many unemployed Americans by
extending and increasing emergency unemployment compensation
and increasing access to health insurance. My 2010 Budget will
expand these efforts by modernizing the unemployment insurance
system and expanding health coverage to more workers.

My Administration is protecting American jobs by
emphasizing job training in industries that cannot be outsourced.
Recently laid-off workers receiving unemployment benefits have
new opportunities to pursue higher education and job training
programs, including easier access to Pell Grants. To encourage job
creation in the United States, I am replacing tax laws that send jobs
overseas with new incentives to create them here at home, and
available assistance can be found online at:
www.dol.gov/recovery/implement.htm or www.opportunity.gov.

Together, we can help more Americans find and keep good
jobs and enjoy a healthy standard of living. To locate an
employment center near you, select your state at:
www.dol.gov/dol/location.htm. For information on benefits and
opportunities for those out of work, I encourage you to visit:
www.dol.gov/dol/audience/aud-unemployed.htm. To find career
resources, you may call 1-877-872-5627 visit or visit:
www.careeronestop.org .

While it will take time to turn our economy around, I am confident
that we will emerge from this crisis stronger than before.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 PM

309 posts, read 564,848 times
from NELP's companion site, unemployed workers.org

Unemployed Workers Home

Senate Working Hard on Legislation to Extend Jobless Benefits in All States (October 7, 2009)

NELP has received many inquiries about the status of the UI extension. There are numerous champions hard at work in the Senate to craft a bill that will deliver extended benefits to workers across the country, as described in this Reuters article Tuesday. All involved are sensitive about the time pressure to get this done. We are confident that an extension will pass the Senate and move quickly back through the House. We'll be sure to update you as we get more details, and appreciate how excruciating the wait is for thousands of jobless workers across the country.

Last edited by ginamae38; 10-08-2009 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: did com instead of org

Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 PM

727 posts, read 929,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Got it -- you don't like VA politicians. More importantly, there is a report that an agreement has been reached in a closed door meeting in the Senate. See my earlier post reprinted below.
So is it for sure a done deal?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 PM

285 posts, read 582,174 times
Great follow-ups ginamae and diorgirl. Why then if for the love of me all of these "fools" are coming forward with all of these different Bills and all they need to do is agree behind close doors and distinguish with the idle bull crap that they are feeding us-The Unemployed Americans. Senators, bring to the President a Bill that will keep us, the unemployed from contemplating selling our homes-which we can't, pawning our "a-holes out", if you know what I mean, crying our eye balls out,or just trying to explain to our kids over and over again we are doing the best we can to get food , or to find a place to spend the night since we have lost another place to live, and this aint no joke. You see some of us are fed up with your lies that you care about us and you keep putting us off another week not day or days. You must go as soon as election time comes around!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:10 PM

189 posts, read 261,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer1983 View Post
Fly, It's Politics being played out on this and were the ones that are losing, I'm so upset with these people, I could cry!!!!!!, Why are they so out of touch?
I thought they canceled Columbus Day for the Senate committee since they couldn't make a decision. Maybe I am wrong but swore I read that Senator Reid said that. God forbid you take away their holiday so that they can take their mind off of the problems of the world today, drink, party, etc while some of the people don't know whether they will have anything to eat or a roof over their head. We have to look at the importance of the HOLIDAY for these people so that they can rest and get back to debating against helping Americans!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
Found this-

31. H.R.3756 : To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of emergency unemployment benefits.
Sponsor: Rep Welch, Peter [VT] (introduced 10/7/2009) Cosponsors (3)
Committees: House Ways and Means
Latest Major Action: 10/7/2009 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means.
This was just introduced yesterday..........we need to look at this new Bill. It should be up on Thomas website after 10 this morning.
Fly-thanks for that information. Hopefully I will hear from my friend today via e-mail once she gets out of session.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax666 View Post
You're right, but the everyday we (age 50>) stayed unemployed the less of a chance we will find gainful (more than minimum wage) employment. Once unemployment goes away (it won't last forever) what will we have? Even if any of us get a job do you see retirement in the future??? We need to do something NOW. Does anyone know the percentage of people over 55 who have lost their job over a year ago and are working today? It has to be huge.
The odds are very slim of me ever working again, at least in the fields that I am trained to. I might actually get lucky and be hired on as a Wal-mart Greeter! Gives me something to look forward to, huh?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:19 PM

3,814 posts, read 10,236,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
So is it for sure a done deal?
As stated in prior posts:

Quote:
It has been reported that Senators Reid and Baucus will not allow anything to reach the Senate floor for debate until they have enough votes lined up to pass it by consensus.

A floor debate on unemployment extensions would delay any proposed bill and further embarrass the Senate leadership -- who have been unable to get their members to agree on Health Care Reform in a more timely manner.
Quote:
Another member on a New Jersey thread reports a conversation with a woman in NELP's New York office (212-285-3025 EXT 322, contact Andreatte).

The contact said that the following new proposal was agreed on last night [apparently in closed meetings]:

20 weeks for states above 8.5 percent
14 weeks for all other states

She further said that the Senate is going to try to pass the bill by "unanimous consent." However if anyone objects there would be a vote.

She speculated that it probably won't make the floor today or tomorrow -- but maybe Tuesday.

No one else has been able to confirm this report so far.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...b-part-56.html

Last edited by diorgirl; 10-08-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katgotsteve View Post
i dont know if this is posted here yet or not. BUT OMG!!!

it breaks my heart and sickens me at the same time.

Cobo a scene of desperation | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20091008/NEWS05/910080464/1318/Cobo-a-scene-of-desperation - broken link)
I was telling my husband about 2 weeks ago that this is actually just beginning, the effect of the unemployed. Once people get to the point of no food, no roof over their head or the threat of all of this we are going to see a lot of riots, thefts, even from homes for people just to survive and that's what it's all about, SURVIVAL. You can't really blame these people either who are typically good, hard working people with no criminal history but they all have the same things in common, taking care of their families and surviving, no matter what the cost.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by get well View Post
I thought it went to the house of committees once the Senate had approved it so Obama could sign it.... I am soooo comfused.
According to my information in Congress, after it goes through the House and Senate it still goes to the Conference Committee to make sure they are all on the same page so again, it's all a delay in process and just holding us off. They want to make people think they are doing something even and to establish a new bill and not continue with the companion bill is just another means of delaying and actually starting over the process again just with a new bill name.

Btw, the statement "end of the week" never comes so I am at the point to where I hear that and think, well it will possibly be next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment