U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 01:40 PM

727 posts, read 931,510 times

Advertisements

I guess until I see it on the National Networks that "A" Bill was passed and sent to be signed by the President-then I will believe it is a done deal . It has been weeks since the House sent H.R.3548 to the Senate and they have done nothing. Like Bill Maher said on Friday night-the Senate is where Bills go to die. I completely get that other States want to be included that are below the 8.5% trigger but to not pass anything while they meander along is only hurting us. Why is it that every time we go through this it is always a battle and we the ones who are hurting are put on the back burner. Well, I said my piece......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM

309 posts, read 565,636 times
New jobless claims fall to 521K, lowest since Jan. - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091008/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_economy - broken link)

By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER, AP Economics Writer Christopher S. Rugaber, Ap Economics Writer – 2 hrs 13 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The number of newly laid-off workers filing first-time claims for jobless benefits fell to the lowest level since early January, as layoffs eased a bit amid a fledgling economic recovery.
The fourth drop in new claims in five weeks is a sign the labor market is slowly healing. But employers are reluctant to hire new workers and the unemployment rate is expected to keep climbing well into next year.
Separately, the nation's retailers saw modest signs of life from consumers in September, resulting in the first sales gain since July 2008 and fueling some hope for the holiday shopping season.
The Labor Department said Thursday that new claims for unemployment insurance dropped last week to a seasonally adjusted 521,000, better than analysts expected and down from 554,000 the previous week.
The four-week average, which smooths fluctuations, fell to 539,750, the lowest since Jan. 17. The number of people continuing to claim benefits declined by 72,000 to 6.04 million. Analysts expected continuing claims to rise slightly.
"The downtrend in claims is encouraging and points to continued, albeit gradual, improvement in the labor market," Joseph LaVorgna, chief U.S. economist at Deutsche Bank, wrote in a note to clients.
Economists closely watch initial claims, which are considered a gauge of layoffs and an indication of companies' willingness to hire new workers.
Despite the improvement, initial claims remain well above the 325,000 that economists say is consistent with a healthy economy.
Meanwhile, a late Labor Day and delayed school openings helped boost back-to-school sales in September. The International Council of Shopping Centers-Goldman Sachs preliminary tally registered an increase of 0.1 percent for September, compared with a 1 percent drop a year ago. While still tepid, the results mark the first gain since July 2008, when the index rose 1.3 percent.
As stores announced their results Thursday, J.C. Penney Co., Macy's Inc., and Target Corp. all reported smaller-than-expected declines in sales at stores open at least a year. Limited Brands Inc., which runs Victoria's Secret and Bath & Body Works, and accessories chain The Buckle Inc. both posted increases for the month.
Still, industry worries remain high heading into the holiday shopping season because shoppers, many of whom were afraid to spend a year ago, are now grappling with rising job losses, reduced hours or unavailable credit.
The stock market rose in afternoon trading. The Dow Jones industrial average added about 93 points, and broader indexes also gained.
In a third report, the Commerce Department said businesses reduced inventories at the wholesale level for a record 12th straight month in August. In an encouraging sign, sales jumped by the largest amount in 14 months.
Economists hope the rising sales will persuade businesses to begin restocking their depleted shelves, a switch that would boost factory production and help bolster broad economic growth in coming months.
The jobless claims figures indicate that layoffs are slowing. Employers eliminated a net total of 263,000 jobs in September, the Labor Department said last week. Many economists expect that number to decline this month.
When federal emergency programs are included, the total number of jobless benefit recipients dropped by about 90,000 to 8.9 million in the week that ended Sept. 19, the latest data available. Congress has added up to 53 extra weeks of benefits on top of the 26 typically provided by the states, and is considering adding another 13 weeks.
Many analysts expect the economy grew as much as 3 percent in the July-September quarter, but most employers are likely to hold back on new hires while they wait to see if such growth can be maintained.

The unemployment rate rose to 9.8 percent in September from 9.7 percent, the department said last week, the highest in 26 years. The recession, the worst since the 1930s, has eliminated a net total of 7.2 million jobs.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said last week that even if the economy maintained a 3 percent growth rate for several quarters, unemployment would still be above 9 percent by the end of 2010.
More job cuts were announced this week. Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., which makes industrial and scientific equipment, said it will close a plant in Dubuque, Iowa, next year, costing 350 jobs. __

Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM

189 posts, read 262,103 times
I just signed!

Old 10-08-2009, 01:45 PM

727 posts, read 931,510 times
Blog comments on the new Bill H.R.3756 and snide comments about opencongress dot org.or maybe it is washingtonwatch???
Still nothing up about this Bill. 4 Bills that address this and you would think one would have passed by now.........
http://www.washingtonwatch.com/blog/...mouthed-rants/

Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 PM

40 posts, read 63,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeparker56 View Post
I will say one more thing then keep my mouth shut!!

I was in the mall yesterday looking for an anniversary gift for my husband and it just amazed me on the prices of the items and how few, and I mean few, people were in the mall I remember a time when the mall would be full of people even during the work week. I thought to myself, who do they think is going to pay for this stuff at these prices and who do they think is going to buy all this stuff for Christmas especially if they have no incomes? We Are The Consumers!! So that means that they are going to have a really crappy Holiday season this year and can only complain to the Congress and Senators because they are the ones holding up OUR money that we could be out spending on the economy. They better not come back with how people aren't spending this year when our government has taken away the money we need to spend which will boost the economy. Basically, they are taking the money out of the hands of the ones that can make a difference in the economy.
Good point! This is why the major chains are reducing children's toys starting now...did you hear about that? Walmart started first and others are falling in line. God Bless Walmart. I know people don't want them in their neighborhoods, blah blah blah, but since I have had my children it's been the best store ever! At least someone is thinking of the children this holiday season. Although of course it's trickery to get us in to the stores to purchase other goods, but at this point anything helps.

Wouldn't it be nice if they gave US a Christmas Bonus???? Awwwww...what a dream.....

Old 10-08-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginamae38 View Post
Thanks just signed!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
I guess until I see it on the National Networks that "A" Bill was passed and sent to be signed by the President-then I will believe it is a done deal . It has been weeks since the House sent H.R.3548 to the Senate and they have done nothing. Like Bill Maher said on Friday night-the Senate is where Bills go to die. I completely get that other States want to be included that are below the 8.5% trigger but to not pass anything while they meander along is only hurting us. Why is it that every time we go through this it is always a battle and we the ones who are hurting are put on the back burner. Well, I said my piece......
Anything that helps the PEOPLE has to be debated. Unemployment...debate; Lowering taxes....debate; Healt hcare.....debate and while we're at it let people just keel over and die waiting around for help. I can't imagine those who have lost their jobs going back to 2007 and have no healthcare too boot. That breaks my heart.

Have you noticed that no reps have had any townhalls for this huge unemployment issue? It's been going on for a couple of years now but why not hear from the people the way they couldn't wait to create dissention with the masses over these health town hall meetings. They don't care about any of us, just want to try and make it seem like they are doing their jobs.

I believe President Obama understands, but I agree with whoever said earlier that he needs to take control of the situation. I don't know why he's handling them with kid gloves. Whatever, you are in office, tell these people to do what is RIGHT and stop fooling around. Somtimes people just need a good cussing, hahahahaha!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:57 PM

189 posts, read 262,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherhill View Post
Good point! This is why the major chains are reducing children's toys starting now...did you hear about that? Walmart started first and others are falling in line. God Bless Walmart. I know people don't want them in their neighborhoods, blah blah blah, but since I have had my children it's been the best store ever! At least someone is thinking of the children this holiday season. Although of course it's trickery to get us in to the stores to purchase other goods, but at this point anything helps.

Wouldn't it be nice if they gave US a Christmas Bonus???? Awwwww...what a dream.....
I thought I heard on the news that they were going to sale select toys this season for $10.00, which is actually a good price. I know because I have grandkids and they can sure get expensive! But even at $10.00 a toy, when you don't have any money coming in then that $10.00 can seem like $1,00.00.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeparker56 View Post
I thought I heard on the news that they were going to sale select toys this season for $10.00, which is actually a good price. I know because I have grandkids and they can sure get expensive! But even at $10.00 a toy, when you don't have any money coming in then that $10.00 can seem like $1,00.00.
So true my dear. Start early if you can. Even if it's just a couple per kid. If you have little girls then the Barbies are even going to be $10!! You can't go wrong with one of her dolls!!! In fact Walmart already has some for that price.

Another tip, FIND CONSIGNMENT shops, especially if you have kids/grandkids. And need clothes and/or toys. Greatest buys ever. As broke and I am it brings me joy to be able to nickel and dime something for my girls every once in a while. The only thing that keeps me sane....

Old 10-08-2009, 03:13 PM

81 posts, read 84,208 times
Was looking at NJ threads and read where one of them said they talked to Sen.Baucus office and was told that they have an agreement and were going to vote on it tonight. Take this with a grain of salt and hope what was said will happen. Like I said I don't know how reliable this info is,but maybe we will get lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment