Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 10:33 AM

727 posts, read 1,096,701 times

Advertisements

Here it is-I posted about this Sunday and today he went public-it is this kind of pork that will cause a hold up on the jobless Bill-damn....
Sen. Isakson to offer expanded tax credit for homeowners - TheHill.com
Sen. Isakson to offer expanded tax credit for homeowners

By Ian Swanson - 10/13/09 11:40 AM ET
Those purchasing new homes would be eligible for an $8,000 tax credit under legislation to be introduced by Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.). Isakson will offer the tax break for homebuyers as an amendment to legislation extending unemployment benefits, according to his office.
Isakson’s measure would greatly expand an $8,000 tax credit included in the $787 billion economic stimulus package Congress approved earlier this year. That credit expires at the end of November.
The new measure would keep the credit at $8,000, but would make all homebuyers eligible, instead of limiting it to those purchasing their first home. It would also double the income limits on those eligible to win the credit to $150,000 for an individual and $300,000 for a couple.
This would greatly increase the cost of the tax credit at a time when the government is dealing with record budget deficits. The stimulus bill was considered emergency legislation and was not offset with other spending cuts or tax increases, but it is not clear whether the new credit would be treated the same way.
The existing law is estimated to cost the government about $1 billion a month in lost revenue. Expanding the pool of people eligible to win it could cost as much as $30 billion, according to an estimate by Mark Zandi, the chief economist at Moody’s Economy.com, provided to The New York Times.
Given the rocky economy, it could be tough for lawmakers to oppose the bill, particularly ahead of the 2010 midterm elections.
While there are signs that the housing market has hit bottom, home values continue to fall, as do foreclosures. National housing prices fell 7.8 percent in June 2009 compared to June 2008, according to First American CoreLogic, which tracks housing data.
The National Association of Realtors has been lobbying heavily for an extension of the tax credit, and for expanding it to all homebuyers. The tax credit could also receive support from other interests, such as groups representing home builders and mortgage bankers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 AM

462 posts, read 989,134 times
So, the republicans get add something for the middleclass who can afford to purchase a home, and do it on the backs of those of us who are living at the poverty level and need the UI extension. Makes perfect republican sense to me....NOT. How about they get their own bill. Yes, I would like some cheese with my whine.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:45 AM

81 posts, read 101,549 times
Well I was looking around the net and came up on blog and this is somewhat interesting. I don't know how credible it is, but if this is true this is going to really blow a big one. Like I said this is pulled from a blog I found...

One of the defining characteristics of the U.S.’s more recent recessions has been the length of time it has taken the employment rate to return to its pre-recession peak.
It’s going to be a long, long time before employment returns to the levels whence it plunged to the current 9.8% unemployment valley. And Republican Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona doesn’t give a rat’s hind end:
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) tried to accelerate the usual lengthy process in order to take a quick vote on proposed bill H.R. 3548 to give federal unemployment benefits extension to all 50 states but Kyl halted his efforts, calling for more time to consider the bill and possibly add amendments to it. …
This means that the bill has no chance of a vote this week, as Senate Dems had indicated was likely, but rather the earliest can pass is next week. So for the thousands whose benefits will run out soon, let alone those whose benefits have already run out, you have Jon Kyl to thank for not getting this extension passed sooner.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 AM

189 posts, read 306,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurfer2000h View Post
Well I was looking around the net and came up on blog and this is somewhat interesting. I don't know how credible it is, but if this is true this is going to really blow a big one. Like I said this is pulled from a blog I found...

One of the defining characteristics of the U.S.’s more recent recessions has been the length of time it has taken the employment rate to return to its pre-recession peak.
It’s going to be a long, long time before employment returns to the levels whence it plunged to the current 9.8% unemployment valley. And Republican Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona doesn’t give a rat’s hind end:
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) tried to accelerate the usual lengthy process in order to take a quick vote on proposed bill H.R. 3548 to give federal unemployment benefits extension to all 50 states but Kyl halted his efforts, calling for more time to consider the bill and possibly add amendments to it. …
This means that the bill has no chance of a vote this week, as Senate Dems had indicated was likely, but rather the earliest can pass is next week. So for the thousands whose benefits will run out soon, let alone those whose benefits have already run out, you have Jon Kyl to thank for not getting this extension passed sooner.
Arrrrgh!! I hate that word "next week", seems that's part of our vocabulary now!! If they were smart, especially since ABC news and others have brought it to the forefront, they will address it this week. That's what ABC news had mentioned that it's suppose to be passed THIS WEEK. This is ridiculous!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:02 AM

I think that they figure if they tell us what we want to hear all will be good.The only problem with that is we get told one thing and they do whatever they want. This way they can play a game with our very existance. This way if they when they wait they can tell us some republican wants to add some BS ammedndment to it and the senate will debate about it.I always said I was proud to be an american when we had a gov.t that was looking out for it's people but it gets harder and harder to be a proud american with the way the unemployed are being treated by the very officials we elect to help us out. I am really frustrated and beginning to get p###ed off and we don't have to take it anymore..

Old 10-13-2009, 11:03 AM

189 posts, read 306,807 times
All the major news channels are showing that the Fiance Committee will vote today, maybe that will mean they will get to us. It is saying that they will vote "yes" on Baucus plan too.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:03 AM

Yes, it is ridiculous. This jobless benefits issue has been going on since August...they didn't pass it then but promised to when the got back form break. Well, September came andis gone and still-nothing. Here it is October-and we wait. That's okay-I will not forget how they forgot us come election time. And on both sides of the aisle. We need to just clean the whole place out-put people in there like us who know what it is like-as in have a clue and I bet so much would be accomplished. If this type of thing continues of there-I think that there will be some kind of revolution. People have had it. And although I do not advocate violence-there are groups out there who do and they aren't wrapped real tight if you get my meaning. The America we have today is not the America I know and love-where did that Country go??? Perhaps we should ask the corrupt politicians and the Corporations .....ok..I have to go back to the feeders. Interesting conversation on the hill.com..leave some comments-especially the one from John Boehner asking for a discussion with one American who is for the public option..
Isakson to offer bill expanding tax credit to all homeowners - TheHill.com
http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...chele-bachmann
http://thehill.com/capital-living/in...dially-invited
And yes I did leave comments under FLY.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeparker56 View Post
All the major news channels are showing that the Fiance Committee will vote today, maybe that will mean they will get to us. It is saying that they will vote "yes" on Baucus plan too.
Okay-lets have a collective thought-"THEY WILL VOTE ON JOBLESS BENEFITS TODAY"
1-2-3 GO

Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 AM

90 posts, read 145,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurfer2000h View Post

tsurfer2000h, I think that's from a report that was made last week when Kyl wanted more time to read the bill to make sure it would not add to the deficit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 AM

I think they probably going to vote on health care. I have not been been able to find anything out about them voting on unemployment todaybut the. I hope they do vote but the way things are going this may take longer than we want. The Senate Finance commity is voting on health care bill so I guess we sit and wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment