Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 08:31 AM

309 posts, read 649,448 times

Advertisements

South Florida Sun Sentinel
6:38 p.m. EDT, October 13, 2009

Floridians who are unemployed, as well as the jobless across the country, say they're troubled Congress is taking so long to pass an emergency extension to unemployment benefits.

If passed, about 250,000 unemployed Florida residents could receive up to 20 weeks of benefits. Advocates for the unemployed hope the Senate Democrats' version will pass by week's end.

"Nobody knows what's going on. I'm waiting and waiting like a lot of other people," said Marlene Kirschner, a widow in Boca Raton who was laid off from a retail store more than a year ago. Social Security covers her mortgage payment, but unemployment has helped pay her other bills since she lost her job. "They don't want to hire a 73-year-old woman," she said.

Last week, Senate Democrats reached a compromise plan that would extend unemployment aid to all states of 14 to 20 weeks, with more weeks going to those states with the highest rates of unemployment. The bill passed by the House gave extra benefits only to the hardest-hit states.

Newly appointed Sen. George LeMieux, R-Fla., plans to vote for the extension, according to his spokesman. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., also supports the compromise, his spokesman said.

Once the Senate acts, its version then would likely be passed quickly by the House for President Barack Obamas' signature, said Judy Conti, federal advocacy coordinator for the National Employment Law Project, an advocacy group for the unemployed. "We're optimistic they will move quickly."

As of September, over 400,000 workers exhausted their federal jobless benefits, and another 200,000 are expected to do so this month. In Florida, 114,508 residents will exhaust benefits by year-end without an extension, according to the National Employment Law Project. The group says nearly 50 percent of jobless workers cannot find jobs within the first six months of receiving benefits, up from 37.2 percent a year ago.

In recent weeks, the Sun Sentinel has received numerous e-mails from the unemployed across the country asking when they can expect an extension. Many say they're facing eviction and homelessness.

"People like me are hurting. Many have exhausted their benefits in September. [Congress] is so out of touch," said John Carey, 38, of Sarasota.

He has been looking for a job in the food and beverage industry for more than a year. "It's not like there are tons of jobs out there, that people are just being lazy and want a handout," Carey said.

If passed and signed by Obama, the legislation would then go to the Department of Labor, which would give instructions to the states. Usually, federal extensions are automatic for those unemployed still receiving benefits. Those whose benefits have expired may have to apply for the extension.

It's also unclear how far back in time the extension will go for those who are still unemployed. Conti said under the Senate bill, anyone whose benefits have run out won't get a payment retroactive to their last check. But they could get 20 weeks going forward.

The proposal also includes a modification to the stimulus package to allow families receiving food stamps to remain eligible while receiving an additional $25 per week in unemployment insurance benefits.

The extra benefits would be paid for by extending the federal unemployment tax on employers.

Marcia Heroux Pounds can be reached at mpounds@sunsentinel.com or 561-243-6650.
Copyright © 2009, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Related stories

From other South Florida sources
Around the Web
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:26 AM

92 posts, read 152,226 times
I do not know if any of you have had the pleasure of calling our distinguished senators this morning, but if for nothing more than humor, you should call. An aide with sen. hatch's office tried to tell me that the bill was still in the finance committee (I reminded her that the bill was objected to in the Finance Committee two weeks ago in order to include all states); then, she told me that there is no actual bill (I reminded her that an agreement was reached on the bill last week to include all 50 states, but objected to by sen. kyl); finally, she told me that sen. hatch wants to be prudent with taxpayer money and find a better way to pay for the bill (that she said does not exist). I informed her that I understand prudency because I, along with hundreds of thousands of unemployed American workers, are trying to figure out how to pay my bills while I wait -- not for a hand out -- but for a safety net until we are once again employed and can continue to contribute to making this country strong. I reminded her that taxpayer money was used to give her and the other congressional aides a raise, cash for clunkers was passed expeditiously, and for all the other measures that congress wants to pass. She said she "understands." I told her we will keep calling...202-224-5251.

I found a document about fast-tracking legislative procedures on the senate's website. It seems to me that there is something which can be done for swift action. Maybe I am wrong about my interpretation and someone else on here can help me understand.

http://www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs...8%23P%20%20%0A

Old 10-14-2009, 09:34 AM

23 posts, read 37,058 times
GOP Temporarily Blocks Unemployment Benefits Extension

by Adam Doster on October 14, 2009 - 10:06am
The fears of Democrats anxious to pass an unemployment benefits extension were realized yesterday. Dow Jones is reporting that Senate Republicans' plan to stall debate on the bill (S. 1647) -- which was expected to hit the floor this week -- because they object to its primary funding mechanism: an extension of the federal unemployment surtax for an additional 18 months.
Currently, employers pay a 6 percent tax on the initial $7,000 of employees' wages, the bulk of which is offset by tax credits. This surtax slaps an additional 0.2 percent onto employers, averaging out to $14 per employee annually. The GOP says the extra burden could prevent businesses from hiring. But because the surtax has been extended so commonly over the past 30 years, many businesses have already budgeted for it. Robert Bixby, executive director at the Concord Coalition, tells Dow that it's a "baked-in cost."
Instead, Republicans will offer an amendment to pay for the legislation using unspent stimulus funds. It's unclear how much of that money has not already been allocated. I'm sure we will find out in the coming days. In the meantime, it's safe to assume that no bill will get to the president's desk until at least Thanksgiving.

Don't let this happen. EVERYONE call your senator and DEMAND it be passed NOW !!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 AM

41 posts, read 99,013 times
Ok. Im confused. IF the Democrates have this "Super Majority" it would seem to me that they could bully themselves pass the Republicans stonewalling?????

Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 AM

81 posts, read 101,573 times
The republicans do not care about the people only themselves. Don't get me wrong not all republicans are this way,but we know who these republicans that are only out for themselves and what benefits them.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:45 AM

462 posts, read 989,224 times
Why can't President Obama step in with an executive order?????

Old 10-14-2009, 10:59 AM

46 posts, read 71,466 times
so when is the bill being brought back on the calendar?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:08 AM

285 posts, read 661,836 times
SMS this is exactly what I am wondering, the president can use executive power so I thought. This is a serious issue with dire consequences.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 AM

727 posts, read 1,096,806 times
Wow, I thought I would come back to some good news. I turned on Cspan but the Prime Minister from GB is on talking about the war-no news?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:21 AM

461 posts, read 944,961 times
I called Harry Reid's office and spoke with a staff member and asked about what some media is reporting that the extension will not be passed until after thanksgiving. He said he didn't know who was reporting that but NOTHING has been said like that by any senator.

I asked them if they were going on break until sometime in Nov. He said no..

He also said Reid tried to bring it to the floor yesterday and it was blocked by republicans. I asked if it would go to the floor today and he said he couldn't answer that. He didn't know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment