U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 06:52 PM

461 posts, read 817,659 times

Advertisements

Watch Harry Reid on video.
Congress Preview | C-SPAN Congressional Chronicle, Created by Cable. Offered as a Public Service.#

scroll down to where it says Mr Reid and 18:02:13 when you hilight his name then scroll to 5:50 mark and watch from there forward

He talks about UI and having to file cloture on it last night. He said this bill could be passed in 2 hours if the republicans would get off it.

Put this link in your favorites. You can watch anyone who speaks during sessions... Watch Durbin also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 07:09 PM

720 posts, read 1,188,690 times
Wow....2 hours is all it would take....my my....un-freaking-believeable.....

Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM

72 posts, read 157,830 times
Really all of these control issues in congress has devastated millions of Americans. Our government shows dictatorship and communism {a system of social organization in which all economic and social activity is controlled by a totalitarian state dominated by a single and self-perpetuating political party} I think that a Revolution is on the rise. I forgot the state.. but there was a big ad about a revolution stirring with unemployed workers. They where holding signs and demanding our government to do what they where voted in for. Americans asking where are our jobs; to bring them back home and keep them here. That our country is disintegrating...People are already desperate, all these horrific incidences. It will get worse and worse until something good happens to America!!!!{I dont think it will ever be the same} I have hope that is all I have. I believe in our country,our troops and the American people but our government is FU.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 PM

At 8:13 P.M Sherrod Brown D-Ohio said "We are going to try to pass the Unemployment Bill Tomm."

found this on another site.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 PM

727 posts, read 929,842 times
Great job Montana!!! Gold Star for you!!!

Old 10-14-2009, 07:24 PM

285 posts, read 582,174 times
found article over on Roll Call states that "Republicans Continue to Hold Up Unemployment Extension" I am trying to copy and paste so everyone can read it. Where's Fly or SMS need clearance if I do is it ok?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 PM

Republicans Continue to Hold Up Unemployment Extension

By Jessica Brady
Roll Call Staff
Oct. 14, 2009, 4:10 p.m.

Print
Reprints
Text Size

Latest News

While legislation to extend unemployment benefits for another 14 weeks is sure to pass with strong bipartisan support in the Senate, Republican demands to debate and amend the measure have kept Democrats from making headway.
“I think it’ll pass. I think [Republicans are] just a little irritated about the way they’re being treated,” Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) suggested.
At issue is an amendment sponsored by Sens. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) and Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), which would extend a tax credit for first-time homebuyers that is set to expire at the end of the year. The amendment, which would extend the credit through June 2010 and open it up to individuals in higher income brackets, is opposed by the Obama administration, and Congressional Democrats are hesitant to bring it up on the floor alongside the unemployment bill.
“This is a problem,” Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said of the amendment, estimated to cost $16.7 billion. “This ought to be a clean bill.”
“Offering amendments can be salutary or defensive,” Durbin added, noting that with expiring unemployment benefits at stake, “There are thousands of Americans counting on a safety net.”
“I think the American people are more concerned about getting a job than getting a check,” Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) said, dismissing the suggestion that there are political implications for Republicans objecting to the unemployment extension measure.
Republicans have twice blocked Democrats from passing the measure unanimously. Democrats are now trying to work a deal with Republicans to get it cleared this week. “Once the public understands Republicans are standing in the way of unemployment benefits, this bill will come up and it will pass,” Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) predicted.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:31 PM

Guys I wanted you to read for yourself that they are still on the case. I just got a call from someone stating that Obama was on the case to give Social Security recipients moneyfor cost of living or something. i am trying to find so much for us and others. Fly please forgive me for copying and pasting but I think we needed to see for ourselves what they are saying and I did not want to mislead anyone at this time by just telling you what I read. I will take my sanction now! You know I are about everyone on here and especialy you for bringing us over here and continue this fight.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:34 PM

Sherrod Brown spoke on C-span2 a few minutes ago. He was talking about unemployment extension. He was reading letters from people like us. He said it would be brought to the floor tomorrow...

Go to the link I posted above and go to the bottom and click on Sherrod Brown and watch it. It is there... He talks about healthcare for a few minutes first and then he gets to the unemployment extension.

PROGESS>>>>>>>

Old 10-14-2009, 07:37 PM

72 posts, read 157,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blromious View Post
Guys I wanted you to read for yourself that they are still on the case. I just got a call from someone stating that Obama was on the case to give Social Security recipients moneyfor cost of living or something. i am trying to find so much for us and others. Fly please forgive me for copying and pasting but I think we needed to see for ourselves what they are saying and I did not want to mislead anyone at this time by just telling you what I read. I will take my sanction now! You know I are about everyone on here and especialy you for bringing us over here and continue this fight.

Well I would hate to reveal the worse thing I have ever done...but you know what OH WELL... we have to rely on each other to get us through the most drawn out economic situation that any of us has ever been through...this has effected millions of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment