Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 03:14 PM

943 posts, read 3,149,154 times

Advertisements

In the process of interviewing candidates for employment I am talking to a number of unemployed ex senior managers who use to make close to $100K. Now 3-6-9 months has passed since their last paycheck and the unemployment is about to run out and they are still sitting at home bored, depressed and getting fat. I would think that some job any job would be better than sitting around all day.

Would a place like Target, Walmart, Best Buy or a local restaurant or grocery store ever hire someone like this with the idea that it would be a short term gig to get them out of the house and make a few bucks talking to people and being useful? Any personal experiences with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 03:34 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,818,009 times
Why don't you, the "recruitment professional" have the answer to this?

Or is it perhaps a little too close to home and you already know the answer...

Old 06-18-2009, 05:50 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,010,520 times
Someday you may find this out personally.
Thanks for another cheerful thread.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:36 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,151,257 times
Where do you live that jobs at Target, Walmart, or any retail or restaurant pay $10/hr? Not in my neck of the woods, and none of those places are hiring anyway.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:20 PM

989 posts, read 1,869,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
In the process of interviewing candidates for employment I am talking to a number of unemployed ex senior managers who use to make close to $100K. Now 3-6-9 months has passed since their last paycheck and the unemployment is about to run out and they are still sitting at home bored, depressed and getting fat. I would think that some job any job would be better than sitting around all day.

Would a place like Target, Walmart, Best Buy or a local restaurant or grocery store ever hire someone like this with the idea that it would be a short term gig to get them out of the house and make a few bucks talking to people and being useful? Any personal experiences with this?

Life 101 - You need to eat, and your landlord never wonders if your overqualified to pay your rent. Staying home and just waiting around for your ideal job isn't an option when you have bills,family,mortgage,etc.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 PM

943 posts, read 3,149,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why don't you, the "recruitment professional" have the answer to this?

Or is it perhaps a little too close to home and you already know the answer...
I have not applied at these jobs or work in recruiting for any of these companies so I do not know. That is why I am asking.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:10 AM

536 posts, read 1,865,674 times
A good friend of mine is pushing 60 and landed a retail job. He was probably making close to 200k before he semi-retired. But he just took the job to help with medical bills and stay away from savings.

Some of those places do seem to hire younger workers though. Best buy etc. But say furniture stores, department stores it is definitely an older crowd.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,818,009 times
Quote:
I have not applied at these jobs or work in recruiting for any of these companies so I do not know. That is why I am asking.
Um, yeah, OK.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:38 AM

1,938 posts, read 3,900,619 times
Quote:
It is unforturnate in this economy that finding a job over 50 is even more difficult than it is for a younger person. Although you probably won't find anyone at those businesses you mentioned to come right out and say it but a 50 year old doesn't fit their demographic, unless you want to be a door greeter.

The other issue is as you mentioned, these job seekers are looking for a "short term gig" until they can get other employment. Employers want more stability than that and there's always some kid out there that thinks 10 bucks an hour is a pretty good thing.

They need to quit looking at the big picture and start looking at areas that cater to individuals their own age. Being in my 50s, there are certain places that I go where I would rather be waited on by someone my own age rather than being told by some 18 year old what kind of shoes I should be wearing.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,838,260 times
The one time I interviewed at Best Buy I could tell right away they thought I was too old.....and I was in my early 30s at the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment