U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:44 AM

563 posts, read 1,006,942 times
Default Unemployed, frustrated, want to give up!

I guess this is just to vent. I have been searching for a job for almost 2 months now with NO response. My resume is good, my networking is good, I even created a website for myself to help me stand out. NOTHING! I was wrongfully terminated from my previous employer but I can't sue because they bought my silence with a meager severance package (I had bills to pay, I was stuck). I feel like I have no hope of finding a job anytime soon, based on what has happened so far. And there just AREN'T MANY JOBS to apply for. I still don't know if I'm getting unemployment, they are still "investigating". I'm losing my apartment soon and having to move to a new city, and in with my parents. Which I've accepted by now. But what I can't accept is not even getting a call or an interview! I'm a writer, and even the freelance jobs have HUNDREDS of applicants and people willing to write an article for $5.

How do you keep going when you just want to give up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 AM

17 posts, read 37,513 times
I feel your pain. Who would have thought the job market would ever be this bad? It is hard not to take all the rejection personally, I know. I always suggest looking at colleges & universities for employment because they seem to have positions that require a lot of different skill sets, unlike most companies. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hester Prynne 417 View Post
I feel your pain. Who would have thought the job market would ever be this bad? It is hard not to take all the rejection personally, I know. I always suggest looking at colleges & universities for employment because they seem to have positions that require a lot of different skill sets, unlike most companies. Best of luck to you.
Thanks, I've applied to jobs at universities already. Have already gotten one rejection, nothing from the other jobs I applied for.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:51 AM

124 posts, read 164,751 times
I have similar situation, five months without job, It's make me crazy!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:10 PM

914 posts, read 1,389,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
I still don't know if I'm getting unemployment, they are still "investigating".
Okay, I feel like a bit of an expert in this area of unemployment and severance. Of course, all states vary, there are some general common experiences.

What is being investigated: your overall eligibility or when UI benefits should be paid out?

When exactly did you file for UI benefits: during your severance period or after? Many states will not pay UI benefits until after your severance pay is depleted, whether in your final bi/weekly check or a specified number of weeks from the lump sum payment.

Let us know how we can help you on this...

Old 08-27-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
Okay, I feel like a bit of an expert in this area of unemployment and severance. Of course, all states vary, there are some general common experiences.

What is being investigated: your overall eligibility or when UI benefits should be paid out?

When exactly did you file for UI benefits: during your severance period or after? Many states will not pay UI benefits until after your severance pay is depleted, whether in your final bi/weekly check or a specified number of weeks from the lump sum payment.

Let us know how we can help you on this...
I'm in Texas. I applied for unemployment the day I got fired. I waited to sign the severance papers as long as possible and got a lump sum this past Monday. Supposedly the lady told me she was going to be making her decision on Tuesday, and I'd know by today at the latest. Well, said lady did NOT make her decision and I still don't know. I've left a message with her but it hasn't been returned yet.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:17 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,203,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
I'm in Texas. I applied for unemployment the day I got fired. I waited to sign the severance papers as long as possible and got a lump sum this past Monday. Supposedly the lady told me she was going to be making her decision on Tuesday, and I'd know by today at the latest. Well, said lady did NOT make her decision and I still don't know. I've left a message with her but it hasn't been returned yet.
I'm in Texas too, and going thru the same crap you are. I was fired, and denied my UI, appealed - lost, now going thru my second appeal and awaiting the decision (altho it's been three weeks now!).

I've applied at 60+ places and have had four job interviews. I've been unemployed since June 12th.

Texas sucks for jobs right now. I live near Austin.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I'm in Texas too, and going thru the same crap you are. I was fired, and denied my UI, appealed - lost, now going thru my second appeal and awaiting the decision (altho it's been three weeks now!).

I've applied at 60+ places and have had four job interviews. I've been unemployed since June 12th.

Texas sucks for jobs right now. I live near Austin.
I haven't had any interviews at all. When I started my job search, I was looking for anything in Dallas, Austin or Houston. Then when I suddenly got fired (FOR NO REASON!!!) I focused my search in Houston since I knew I would have to move in with my parents. Rather humiliating and humbling at almost 29 years old. I can't even get a single interview or even a phone call.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:22 PM

49,303 posts, read 45,833,123 times
dont give up on yourself or employment but flex up on what you are willing to do to earn a living.
your job is not your identity.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dont give up on yourself or employment but flex up on what you are willing to do to earn a living.
your job is not your identity.
I just re-did my resume this afternoon to try to make it more general, since jobs in my field or related fields are scarce and I'm getting no response. I had started becoming more flexible but now I'm really trying to be. The only positive to all this is I've gotten a chance to try to think about what I'd really like to do, not what I fell into after college...seeing as I can't get a job in my field anymore anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment