Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 04:00 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

You linked to a page that contradicts your original statement. I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish.

How the Government Measures Unemployment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM

229 posts, read 573,863 times
TV & Sports Guy: Maybe you have not paid attention. There is discrimination for older workers. Here's an example of a job I was one of the TOP candidates for - until we met and they saw my age (56).

Mary,

I'm writing to follow up on your interview and thank for taking the
time to interview with us. We really enjoyed getting to meet you and
were very impressed with your capacity and experience. However, we had
several strong candidates and I regret to inform you that we have
selected another candidate for this position.

I wish you the best of luck in your search and hope that you soon find
a position that fits your strengths and your desire for meaningful
work.

Oh, by the way, I received this a MONTH after the interview.

So - happy posts? I doubt it.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:07 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I'll be surviving this Depression pretty well... My UI benefits ran out after 93 weeks. At 26 weeks of unemployment I moved from Houston to Chicago to live rent free with parents. But Chicago has higher unemployment and I sent out lots of local applications but I haven't even gotten a single interview. It turns out my mental illness curse has been a little bit of a blessing as this disability got me SSDI, Medicare A & B, and Medicaid easily. But I showed I have "low wealth" when I drive an 11 year old car & minivan. But I'm actually a "little wealthy" with a $32,469 bike collection and $30,000 of women's clothes.

I'm one of the lucky few who can survive this Depression by my $1095 monthly SSDI. But I feel worthless and not worthy of a good woman because I'm not well employed. I partly survive because my mom, dad, and aunt pay the bills too. Mom & dad get a fat city gov pension. I'd be struggling if it was just me paying the bills.

Right now I have $12,000 in the bank and $25,000 in IRAs. I am going to do investing while unemployed to make more money. It's funny how the Dow went up in 2009 despite all the bad news. And if you picked the right stocks like Netflix or Apple you could have doubled or tripled your money! So now I got investing to keep me busy while unemployed, and I will be reading books and sharpening up my investing skills.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:15 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeo View Post
I don't care and don't approve extended unemployment benefits unless college graduates, who will end up paying for this generations royal ****up, are added to unemployment benefits.
Another one that wants something for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I just want to see happy stories so people can feel better and have hope
There aren't any. So that would be false hope. Truth is best. You didn't know that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
There are jobs out there. But this isn't 2004 anymore. You will probably have to find work for less pay in something less desireable and outside of your career field. You may also have to sell the house and move if you're living in a place like Elk Hart, IN. There's work out there for everybody, they just have to go find it.
Where do you live... Shangri-La? Work out there for everybody, you folks make me LMAO.

They'll have to do what the rest of us do. Get temporary assistance, food stamps, and medicaid. For as long as that lasts. Then grab your baseball bats and guns while trying to find unoccupied residence. Or while defending your already occupied residence.

Suggestion; learn to be self sufficient and live from the land. Better start now, because the people that feel they're something above human, are destroying the human race. Ironic, huh?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
TV & Sports Guy: Maybe you have not paid attention. There is discrimination for older workers. Here's an example of a job I was one of the TOP candidates for - until we met and they saw my age (56).

Mary,

I'm writing to follow up on your interview and thank for taking the
time to interview with us. We really enjoyed getting to meet you and
were very impressed with your capacity and experience. However, we had
several strong candidates and I regret to inform you that we have
selected another candidate for this position.

I wish you the best of luck in your search and hope that you soon find
a position that fits your strengths and your desire for meaningful
work.

Oh, by the way, I received this a MONTH after the interview.

So - happy posts? I doubt it.

I received the same letters at 34 and keep all of them in a folder so I could remain motivated.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:37 PM

At 34 I had my pick of jobs. I certainly didn't have to have a folder for the replies. Sheesh. In this day and age, at 56, the 34 I used to be are the ones getting the jobs.

Get a clue.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
Default Jobs???

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
There's work out there for everybody, they just have to go find it.

If there were "work out there for everybody" there wouldn't be 9.something unemployment.

On the last day of May 2010 there were 3.4million job openings.
On the last day of May 2010 there were 14,973,000 unemployed
On the last day of May 2010 there were 2,223,000 discouraged and marginally attached workers[does not include those working part-time but want full time. ]

There were therefore 13,796,000 people who had no job to get.

If they were a state, they would be the 5th largest state in the US, right after CA, NY, TX & FL.

List of U.S. states and territories by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 PM

16 posts, read 29,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why are people on this board so motivated to post negative news? I never see any "Uplifting stories" posted just sad sh*t

This one goes out to TVandSportsGuy.

YouTube - Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy

Old 07-16-2010, 04:38 PM

I didn't live through the Depression, but I know there was a time when feeding your family and keeping a roof over their head was enough of a benefit.

What is wrong with this picture? We CAN'T feed our families and pay for our homes. Maybe you are not getting the total picture of what UNEMPLOYMENT means to people. Unemployment means no money which equates to no food. HELLO!

Old 07-16-2010, 06:52 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Actually a good thing.

With workers falling off unemployment they'll no longer be counted. The falling unemployment rates will alert all of us Obama's plan for recovery is working!
It's not as though the Republicans have a better plan. What is the Republican plan? Encourage businesses to outsource more jobs to India and China? Increase the number of H-1B and L-1 visas to displace even more Americans from knowledge-based jobs? Increase mass legal immigration and support amnesty for illegal aliens? (That was Bush's plan; he supported amnesty.)

I'm not a fan of Obama by any means, but the Republicans are just as bad as the Democrats if not worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
I wonder what will happen in a year from now? Will we have "Obamavilles"?
It might be more appropriate to call them Bushvilles. Under Bush it became very obvious that our nation has a problem with Global Labor Arbitrage and Bush did nothing but celebrate it as the workings of the free market.

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 07-16-2010 at 07:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment