Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times

Advertisements

Looking for experiences with unemployment denials.

What were the reasons for the denials? Did you appeal? If so did you win or lose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 12:08 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Looking for experiences with unemployment denials.

What were the reasons for the denials? Did you appeal? If so did you win or lose?
I was laid off on Aug 7. I was self employed prior to Dec 2008, thus did not pay into the Unemployment Fund. I qualified for the maximum weekly benefit, but was $2,250 short of the minimum amount of wages necessary to qualify. They advised me to apply again in October 2009, so that they would be able to use the 2Q 09 wages to boost my total wages number up. when October 1 comes, I will apply online again.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:33 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
Here, read my thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...nt-appeal.html

I'm still waiting for the decision on the second appeal.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:18 AM

19 posts, read 73,949 times
I was about to be fired once, was caught napping at work and was told to go home and report to head office the following day. This was during my college days when I did a home health gig overnight after allday classses. Unemployment says I don't qualify since I quit even though I have been paying into the pool for 8 yrs without draw. Anyway I applied for student loans for first time just to graduate. Will never make that mistake again, they will have to not only fire me but hand me a firing LETTER before I leave. Pride doesn't put food on the table.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:52 AM

2 posts, read 14,770 times
Default Denied UI Benefits when I reapplied

I was laid off and collecting UI benefits, plus I was pregnant too. So when it came close to my due date I stopped filling out the UI claim forms (which I called unemployment and they told me to do) and applied for SDI benefits. This was dated back in July of 2009. I have Kaiser, and Kaiser mostly took care of all my paperwork when I applied for SDI. My last check I received from unemployment was the week that ended of July 18, 2009. Well, what Kaiser does is they set you back on the date for disability on your suggested due date (which was Aug. 13, 2009) from the doctor. The date Kaiser told me to put to start my disability was July 16, 2009. So when I realized it, it was already too late so I called to make sure SDI processed my disability dated for July 19, 2009. That way it won't affect my UI benefits when I reapply. Well I was calling SDI like everyday to see if they were processing my claim yet, in the meantime I was calling UI too, making sure they were aware of the problem. When I finally got a hold of unemployment and informed them the matter they told me since there not issuing me checks anymore its out of there hands and I had to call SDI/Disability to take care of the change of the dates. About 1 week later (which was about the last week of July 2009) I finally got someone working my claim for disability, I informed her about the change of dates and she told me she'll take care of it and not to worry about the dates. Well, my claim went through with disability and I exhausted all my benefits. When I reopened my unemployment claim they penalized me for 5weeks of unemployment due to false information on my disability claim. Plus an overpayment for 3days. I'm in the process of appealing my case, I have a hearing on Jan. 20, 2009 of this month. Can someone help? I don't have documents proving my case, but I can get a revised statement from my doctor excusing me on the date informed July 19, 2009. Please give me all the advices or suggestions....Thank you!!!

Old 01-02-2010, 10:32 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I was terminated from my job last January 6. I applied for unemployement, and received my letter telling me how much I would get per week. I kept waiting and waiting for my checks to come, and they never did. I finally sent EDD an email, and their reply was that I was on a 90 day disqualification for making a false statement. But I didn't make a false statement, that's just what the person doing the telephone interview decided that it was. Thanks to them, I nearly had to live in my car. So my second extension runs out today, and I'm applying again tomorrow, even though they'll send me claim forms in the mail.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
My initial claim was approved last March with no issues. When I applied for EUC benefits I was denied. I appealed and went to court. Under oath, the UE representative stated that the sole reason for the denial was that that are overburdened with claims and when they are unable to process all the claims submitted on a given day, they simply deny those claims that are still pending, and acknowledged that such conduct is in violation of the regulations that came with EUC funding.

The judge ruled in my favor and admonished the UE officer, stating that this was not the first such admonition for their misconduct. The ruling required that the UE office comply with that ruling within 7 days. But after a week, the UE office had failed to initiate my EUC claim. I filed a complaint with the court, and the claim was initiated the following day. And then denied, for the sole reason that there was a gap in filing weekly claims (despite the fact that that delay was entirely in their hands!). I filed yet another complaint with the court, and finally, after another week, I succeeded in getting my first EUC claim submitted.

The total gap in receiving benefits was three months.

Many have said that one doesn't know true desperation until they've lost their paycheck and had to survive on meager unemployment benefits. Well, I've lost those meager benefits too, and now receiving weekly $300/wk benefit checks is a novelty and a thrill and a luxury. I've no doubt getting an actual paycheck will be like winning the lottery.

The degree of desperation I was facing is hardly describable. I lost my home (not evicted, I voluntarily gave it up). I was unable to pay my other bills and while I am currently working on paying them as quickly as possible, I fear my credit rating is forever tarnished. There is nothing the UE office can or will do to repair it. I fear when I do get a job again, I won't be able to get a place to live because of my late payment history, even though the late payments are not associated with rent or housing.

Last edited by kodaka; 01-02-2010 at 07:55 PM..

Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
I knew that they play with people's lives with very little thought as to what they're doing to people - but that is obscene

To add insult to injury these so called workers have jobs while we don't ?

They shouldn't even HAVE those jobs - what they did was (and is) criminal.

You have to wonder how much of this goes on in govt offices all over the country. I'll be SO glad when I get a job again - it will be a HUGE relief to not be at the mercy of the vagaries of govt agencies and their workers.

So sorry you had to go through this to get what was rightfully yours.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Self employed via 1099 ineligible period.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:42 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Not exactly the same thing others are discussing - self employed on a 1099, why would you even try to claim UI ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment