U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:54 PM

702 posts, read 1,342,728 times

Advertisements

Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC Tier I)
Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC Tier II)
Extended Benefits (EB)

A. Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC Tier I)
The EUC program was created on June 30, 2008, by the Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2008 (P.L. 110-252). It made up to 13 additional weeks of federally-funded unemployment benefits available to unemployed individuals nationwide who had already collected all regular state benefits for which they were eligible and who met other eligibility requirements.
  • The Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2008 text as it appears in bill -see here
  • The Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2008 was once formerly known H.R.2642 -see here
In NJ to be eligible you had to meet all of the following conditions:
Quote:
  • You are unemployed or working part-time;
  • You are not eligible for a new regular unemployment insurance claim;
  • You filed a new unemployment insurance claim dated May 7, 2006 or later;
  • You exhausted your unemployment insurance benefits or the benefit year on your claim has expired; and
  • Your had 20 base weeks or more (gross earnings of $143 or more per week) or you had earnings of at least 40 times the weekly benefit rate in your base year.
B. Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC Tier II)
On November 21, 2008, the Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 (P.L. 110-449) expanded EUC to 20 weeks nationwide and created a second tier of 13 more weeks of EUC for individuals in States with high unemployment rates.
  • It Amends the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to revise the formula for Tier-1 amounts a state credits to an applicant's emergency unemployment compensation account (EUCA) for a benefit year. -see here
  • The Unemployment Compensation Extension Act text as it appears in the bill -see here
  • The Unemployment Compensation Extension is also known as H.R.6867 -see here
Quote:
  • You must be eligible for and have exhausted your EUC Tier I benefits.
  • In addition, you cannot be eligible for a new unemployment insurance claim in New Jersey or in any other state or Canada.
C. Extended Benefits (EB)
Originally The Extended Benefits program is a permanent program, started in 1970, that provides 13 to 20 weeks of
extended unemployment benefits to states experiencing high levels of unemployment, as defined by certain
“triggers.”
Because the EB triggers are so restrictive, states rarely qualify for EB even during serious
recessions. Thus, Congress has frequently stepped in to create temporary federal extended benefits
programs, including the Emergency Unemployment Compensation program enacted in July 2008, which
provides 20 to 33 weeks of extended benefits depending on the state’s unemployment rate.
In states that meet the EB program’s requirements, workers are entitled to both EUC and EB consecutively
and states are allowed to choose in which order they pay out benefits.
Because EB costs are typically shared 50/50 between the states and the federal government, all states have chosen to pay EB after
workers have exhausted EUC. EB acts as an additional benefit for workers who still cannot find work after
receiving the EUC extension.
However, EB benefits were not likely to be available to most EUC recipients
due to the restrictive nature of the EB trigger and the fact that states would share the burden of cost. -see here

On February 17, 2009, the President signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) which extends the period of time during which claims for EUC can be filed and benefits paid.

If you read this F.A.Q. pdf from N.E.L.P. updated on june 28, 2009 it says
Quote:
How did the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) make it possible for more workers
to collect EB after their EUC benefits run out?

The ARRA (Section 2005) made two key temporary changes to the EB program, allowing more workers to
collect benefits under the EB program after their EUC benefits run out.
First, the ARRA temporarily shifts the costs of the EB program entirely to the federal government for the
remainder of 2009 (and phasing out through June 2010), thus removing the requirement that states pay
50% of EB benefits.
Second, the ARRA suspends a federal eligibility rule that prevents many workers who are now collecting
EUC from receiving EB. To qualify for EB under the old rules, a worker had to have filed for state
unemployment benefits within one year of when the state reached the required level of unemployment to
“trigger” on to the EB program.
Now, as a result of the ARRA, EB is available to anyone who exhausts his or her EUC benefits during an
EB high-unemployment period, not just those workers who applied for state unemployment benefits one
year before the EB period began.
Without this provision, large numbers of workers now collecting EUC
would not qualify for any weeks of EB because they started collecting state unemployment benefits more
than one year ago. Indeed, most workers in high unemployment states are able to collect 59 weeks of
unemployment benefits, including 26 weeks of state benefits and 33 weeks of EUC, which means they first
filed for state benefits more than one year before they would be eligible to receive EB.
In New Jersey the Dept Of Labor's Recovery site F.A.Q. explains exactly how
(American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 or ARRA)
will affect NJ Unemployment
-see here

Quote:
  • There will be an increase in the weekly unemployment insurance benefit amount of $25.00 for almost all unemployment insurance claimants. The first checks will be going out on March 9, 2009.
  • ARRA continues the additional weeks of Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC) benefits through 2009, thereby providing some claimants with up to 59 weeks of Unemployment Compensation benefits.
  • If the state’s Extended Benefit program (EB) is triggered by continuing high unemployment levels, EB could provide a maximum of 13 additional weeks beyond EUC, for a maximum of 72 weeks of Unemployment Compensation benefits. The EB program will be 100% federally-funded rather than the traditional allocation of 50% state and 50% federal funding. LWD estimates that the amount of EB payments to be made for the period covered under the Stimulus bill is approximately $996 million. As a result of the temporary suspension of the 50% contribution required by the state, New Jersey’s savings is approximately $498 million.
  • The stimulus package extends the end date for the Emergency Unemployment Compensation program from March 31, 2009 to December 31, 2009 and it ensures 100% federal funding for EUC for claim weeks beginning before January 1, 2010, placing less of a fiscal strain on New Jersey’s taxpayers.
  • New Jersey’s potential share of the $7 billion Unemployment Insurance Modernization Act provisions in the stimulus package is expected to be around $207 million. These funds will help minimize required increases in employer unemployment compensation taxes, saving New Jersey businesses millions of dollars.
  • Should a state require a federal loan advance prior to December 31, 2010 in order to pay unemployment benefits, the stimulus package waives the traditional interest payments on the loan. This will save New Jersey taxpayers approximately $37 million dollars in interest payments.
  • Under the stimulus package, up to the first $2,400 of unemployment compensation benefits received during 2009 is free of federal income tax liability.
  • The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 text as it appears in the bill. -see here
  • American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 or ARRA is also known as H.R.1 -see here
  • The EB program was expanded with the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act which can be found in Title II of The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 -see here
In NJ to be potentially eligible you had to meet one of the following conditions:
Quote:
  • The EB program was expanded with the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act signed by President Obama, to include individuals with Unemployment Insurance (UI) claims dated May 7, 2006 or later who exhaust all Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Tier II benefits during an approved EB period.
  • The original date of your UI claim was March 23, 2008 or later and you exhausted all Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Tier II benefits; or
  • You are currently receiving EUC Tier II benefits and exhaust your benefits with week ending March 21, 2009 or later, and New Jersey is still in an approved EB period.
I hope this helps either answer many questions or at least points you in the right direction towards answering your questions

To prevent thread from being closed please follow the rules and try
not to post comments that are off the current topic and please refrain
from making comments toward other posters unless it's to discuss
something regarding the topic. Use Direct Message if you need to
speak off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 06:34 PM

3,814 posts, read 10,237,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr North Jersey View Post
Extended Benefits (EB)

In NJ to be potentially eligible you had to meet one of the following conditions:
  • The EB program was expanded with the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act signed by President Obama, to include individuals with Unemployment Insurance (UI) claims dated May 7, 2006 or later who exhaust all Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Tier II benefits during an approved EB period.
  • The original date of your UI claim was March 23, 2008 or later and you exhausted all Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Tier II benefits; or
  • You are currently receiving EUC Tier II benefits and exhaust your benefits with week ending March 21, 2009 or later, and New Jersey is still in an approved EB period.
Just to clarify, the key term regarding EB eligibility under these standards is that an applicant may potentially qualify.

In fact, the State of New Jersey spells out specific disqualifications from this EB extension, and the most common of these is the second below, generally misinterpreted as disqualification for having been fired.

Disqualification under the EB program

• Any individual who does not make an active search for work or fails to provide documentation of their work search may be indefinitely disqualified for benefits until they have subsequent employment in which they worked at least four (4) weeks and earned at least four (4) times their weekly benefit rate on the claim.

• Any individual who is claiming EB benefits and is determined to have been terminated for misconduct will be indefinitely disqualified until they have subsequent employment in which they worked and earned at least four (4) times their weekly benefit rate and completed the five (5) week disqualification period following the misconduct.

• Any individual who is claiming EB benefits and refused to accept or apply for suitable work will be indefinitely disqualified until they have subsequent employment in which they worked at least four (4) weeks and earned at least four (4) times their weekly benefit rate.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Extended Benefits (EB)

More specifically, the termination for "misconduct" noted in the second bullet point is the official written determination made by Unemployment. (It is not simply whether or not an applicant quit or was fired, as generally, but incorrectly, assumed.)

As a penalty for this type of termination, Unemployment then imposes a "waiting period" of several weeks before benefits can be paid.

After that waiting period has passed, the applicant can claim the initial benefits for which he/she was otherwise eligible. This initial penalty has no effect on the applicant's eligibility for Tier I or Tier II extensions.

However, as explained in the second bullet above, the claimant must be re-employed and accrue necessary credit to be eligible for EB benefits.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:18 AM

6 posts, read 19,881 times
I have a Question, hope i am not out of topic.

My initial unemployment runs out at the end of this year. December 22nd i file my last claim at which point the money left is only for 1 week which means i would need to refile on the 29th. now my question is will i still be eligible for tier I???

Thanks in advance. sorry if this has been asked.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spytech View Post
I have a Question, hope i am not out of topic.

My initial unemployment runs out at the end of this year. December 22nd i file my last claim at which point the money left is only for 1 week which means i would need to refile on the 29th. now my question is will i still be eligible for tier I???

Thanks in advance. sorry if this has been asked.
I already answered this on the other thread where you posted the same question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
As long as you meet the requirements for Tier I (at this point, the same as for initial benefits), you will automatically receive Tier I.

The legislation enacted for Tier I expires on December 31, 2009. But as long as you qualify for Tier I on or before December 31, 2009, you can continue to collect that extension into 2010 until you exhaust all 20 weeks typically granted.

You should get written notification of your eligibility for Tier I shortly after you receive your last check in your initial unemployment. But if you are concerned, call UI or stop by your local unemployment office and have them verify that you are eligible for Tier I.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 19,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
I already answered this on the other thread where you posted the same question.

Thank you Dior. you are a big help and an asset to this forum! i was shaking my head because of this:

Who are unemployed during the EUC period which began on July 6, 2008 and will end with EUC claims filed December 20, 2009;

so i was thinking that i would not qualify because of this.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spytech View Post
Who are unemployed during the EUC period which began on July 6, 2008 and will end with EUC claims filed December 20, 2009
December 20, 2009, is the administrative deadline set by the State of New Jersey. According to your earlier post, you will file your last claim for Initial Benefits on Tuesday, December 22, 2009. That claim will be for the two prior weeks of unemployment, ending Saturday, December 19, 2009.

The Tier I extension automatically starts on your next day of eligibility -- Sunday, December 20, 2009. So you do meet the administrative deadline requirement set by the state.

Sorry for the confusion!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,228 times
So I am screwed... at least thats what I get out of it all. Since I was fired and not laid off, and had to wait to receive from my original claim because I was denied. And by time I find a job that will pay me enough to continue my unemployment I would have lost my home & car by then.... This freakin' sux.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM

28 posts, read 57,916 times
I am confused with all the tier 1 & tier 2 eligibility. So hopefully someone can explain if I will still be receiving a check based on my situation.

After I make the call Next week for my weekly claim ( Oct. 28th) , I would literally have ONE WEEK of money left on the remaining balance portion of the claim stub.

The checks that I have been receiving are for my 1st ever extended benefits of 13 weeks. ( is it 12 or 13 weeks? ) So its is about to run out very shortly.

My question is what happens next. I am still eligible for any extension or no ?

I believe I remember receiving a possible extension letter about two months ago. I'm not sure if that was indeed true or just a possibility.

Any of your two cents on this matter would be appreciated. I have been trying to speak to any of the reps at the local UC but it is very hard to get thru since their hours have been drastically cut due to budget cuts. So they get bombarded with so many people calling on their limited hours.

Thanks

Old 10-22-2009, 11:30 PM

702 posts, read 1,342,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBERSPACE View Post
I am confused with all the tier 1 & tier 2 eligibility. So hopefully someone can explain if I will still be receiving a check based on my situation.

After I make the call Next week for my weekly claim ( Oct. 28th) , I would literally have ONE WEEK of money left on the remaining balance portion of the claim stub.

The checks that I have been receiving are for my 1st ever extended benefits of 13 weeks. ( is it 12 or 13 weeks? ) So its is about to run out very shortly.

My question is what happens next. I am still eligible for any extension or no ?

I believe I remember receiving a possible extension letter about two months ago. I'm not sure if that was indeed true or just a possibility.

Any of your two cents on this matter would be appreciated. I have been trying to speak to any of the reps at the local UC but it is very hard to get thru since their hours have been drastically cut due to budget cuts. So they get bombarded with so many people calling on their limited hours.

Thanks
If you are about to exhaust the 13 weeks (tier I) that you got after your initial 26 week claim then if you notice up top

• You must be eligible for and have exhausted your EUC Tier I benefits.
  • In addition, you cannot be eligible for a new unemployment insurance claim in New Jersey or in any other state or Canada.
So once you exhaust your 13 weeks(tier I) and as long as you are not elibile to open a new claim (which if your not working I don't expect you to) then you should roll right into (Tier II) which is 20 weeks

Old 10-23-2009, 12:37 AM

4 posts, read 9,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingrkitti View Post
So I am screwed... at least thats what I get out of it all. Since I was fired and not laid off, and had to wait to receive from my original claim because I was denied. And by time I find a job that will pay me enough to continue my unemployment I would have lost my home & car by then.... This freakin' sux.
You are not alone. Unfortunately you are correct, being fired would still grant you tier 1 and 2 but not Eb however, senate is working on a new extension that "may" work for people who only received up to tier 2....if it doesnt hold the regulations that eb had(like not allowing people who were fired). You should know the details when it passes in a week or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment