Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:57 AM

26 posts, read 84,004 times

Advertisements

RE: Emergency Unemployment Extended Benefits:

These links may be helpful in following the pertinent bills.

One is for the House of Representatives (H3548),
the other for the Senate (S1699):

H.R.3548: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress
S.1699: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

Do Something:
To be pro-active you might consider signing a petition, every signature counts:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/pas...mployment-bill

Do Something:
Consider emailing and calling your Senator, Representative, Governor even Mayor and Council Members mentioning early that you do not intend to vote for the incumbent if this isn't resolved so as extended benefits can be delivered much, much earlier than the five weeks it will take once the bill is passed. Then explain your work history and current situation. You can get contact info for your elected officials at the following link:

Contact Elected Officials: USA.gov

If you can't find what you are looking for there try:

OpenCongress - Track bills, votes, senators, and representatives in the U.S. Congress

Do Something:
Consider copying this post and emailing it to your friends asking them to email it to their friends. This one would have a very big impact!

Also: BenefitsCheckUp - NCOA's Online Screening Service

You can fill out a form and get a list of state and federal benefits you probably qualify for...
================================================== ===================
Personal Comments:

The pain and suffering continues.

The elected Republicans are continuing, with complete knowledge, to cause pain and suffering to so many.

The elected Democrats are responsible, as well, for this egregious and avoidable situation.
They, in my opinion, are the lesser of the two evils.

I don't particularly care what hyperbole they offer nor rhetoric they use as a rationale: what they have engineered is a flagrant violation of human rights.

Everyone: Please do not let time dim the justified outrage. When you next vote you can, figuratively, punch them in the eye.

Stay focused. Try to post any good news as you find it and let us know the source. Unless it's obviously factual consider it a rumor and use your better judgment before posting.

Rumors, good or bad, only cause a continued roller-coaster of stress, hope, increased depression and despair when the hope is proven false by the facts.

Good luck to all.

Jim in California
================================================== ===================
Keywords: Unemployment Benefits Extension H3548 S1699 Senate House of Representatives Contact Democrats Contact Republicans Contact Senators Contact Representatives
Albany, New York - NY Annapolis, Maryland - MD Atlanta, Georgia - GA Augusta, Maine - ME Austin, Texas - TX Baton Rouge, Louisiana - LA Bismarck, North Dakota - ND Boise, Idaho - ID Boston, Massachusetts - MA Carson City, Nevada - NV Charleston, West Virginia - WV Cheyenne, Wyoming - WY Columbia, South Carolina - SC Columbus, Ohio - OH Concord, New Hampshire - NH Denver, Colorado - CO Des Moines, Iowa - IA Dover, Delaware - DE Frankfort, Kentucky - KY Harrisburg, Pennsylvania - PA Hartford, Connecticut - CT Helena, Montana - MT Honolulu, Hawaii - HI Indianapolis, Indiana - IN Jackson, Mississippi - MS Jefferson City, Missouri - MO Juneau, Alaska - AK Lansing, Michigan - MI Lincoln, Nebraska - NE Little Rock, Arkansas - AR Madison, Wisconsin - WI Montgomery, Alabama - AL Montpelier, Vermont - VT Nashville, Tennessee - TN Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - OK Olympia, Washington - WA Phoenix, Arizona - AZ Pierre, South Dakota - SD Providence, Rhode Island - RI Raleigh, North Carolina - NC Richmond, Virginia - VA
Sacramento, California - CA Salem, Oregon - OR Salt Lake City, Utah - UT Santa Fe, New Mexico - NM Springfield, Illinois - IL St. Paul, Minnesota - MN Tallahassee, Florida - FL Topeka, Kansas - KS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 21,841 times
I have done all those...and still waiting no money no job no food,,what now i have a 7 month old thatneeds me!!!!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:14 AM

Can any1 tell me if I have lost my job on 03/2008 would i quailfy if the bill goes thorough my family's and I life depend on this since I cannot find wotrk and i am looking not just wanting a free ticket!!!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 AM

http://tinyurl.com/yksvcq2 (broken link)

WashingtonWatch.com - H.R. 3548, The Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedinRI2008 View Post
I have done all those...and still waiting no money no job no food,,what now i have a 7 month old thatneeds me!!!!

You are in a very, very tough situation, no doubt about that.

I did a Google search "rhode island food bank"

and came up with:

RI Community Food Bank: Receive Food Assistance

which has a link to download a list:

To get a list of food pantries and meal sites in Rhode Island, click here.

Hope this helps!

Jim

Old 10-19-2009, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 8,887 times
ALRIGHT ANOTHER QUESTION, my benefits ran out early last month, my question is when the new bill gets approved will unemployment checks be retrograded, Will i get backpay for all the weeks it took the Senate to get off their asses?

Old 10-19-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstarra View Post
ALRIGHT ANOTHER QUESTION, my benefits ran out early last month, my question is when the new bill gets approved will unemployment checks be retrograded, Will i get backpay for all the weeks it took the Senate to get off their asses?
This is just MY opinion, after giving your question thoughtful consideration:

1. I do believe the extension will get passed in the Senate.
2. It seems to be a matter of All State or Some States.
3. The number of weeks of extended benefits might change.
4. As I understand it the process of printing the checks and getting them to the mailbox is expected to take five weeks.
-UNLESS, as I've noted in a previous post, enough people badger the elected office holders to somehow eliminate the lengthy time line.
5. Whatever the weeks of benefits are they are finite: if it's 13 weeks it'll be 13 weeks, not, sad to say, "backpay" plus 13 weeks.

So, to answer your question with one word: No.

So many people will have been evicted by then, without the finances to get into a rental what with security deposits, first, last, etc.

Please see this earlier post for more factual info from which you can drawn your own conclusions:

All States-Unemployment Extension Info, Other Benefits, Links & Help

It certainly doesn't help to say "You're not alone" "Things will work out"...
All we can do is try to help each other... perhaps, while we are doing this, some unforeseen opportunity will present itself to lighten the burden.

Good Luck to You,

Jim in California

Old 10-19-2009, 03:38 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Cobalt Blue View Post
This is just MY opinion, after giving your question thoughtful consideration:

1. I do believe the extension will get passed in the Senate.
2. It seems to be a matter of All State or Some States.
3. The number of weeks of extended benefits might change.
4. As I understand it the process of printing the checks and getting them to the mailbox is expected to take five weeks.
-UNLESS, as I've noted in a previous post, enough people badger the elected office holders to somehow eliminate the lengthy time line.
5. Whatever the weeks of benefits are they are finite: if it's 13 weeks it'll be 13 weeks, not, sad to say, "backpay" plus 13 weeks.

So, to answer your question with one word: No.

So many people will have been evicted by then, without the finances to get into a rental what with security deposits, first, last, etc.

Please see this earlier post for more factual info from which you can drawn your own conclusions:

All States-Unemployment Extension Info, Other Benefits, Links & Help

It certainly doesn't help to say "You're not alone" "Things will work out"...
All we can do is try to help each other... perhaps, while we are doing this, some unforeseen opportunity will present itself to lighten the burden.

Good Luck to You,

Jim in California
I do know that in NJ when they passed the first federal extension it did not take as long as five weeks. Actually it was pretty quick and I was suprised at that. Maybe some states are faster.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,653 times
Any idea when it will voted on again?

Old 10-20-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW2007 View Post
Any idea when it will voted on again?
Yep, when the number of emails, phone calls and fax from the out-raged begin to intrude on time they'd rather spend going around picking up their pay-envelopes from the insurance companies.

I hope all these desparate people have long memories and, if not already, somehow find a way to register to vote. If nothing is done they'll simply take it as permission to do something more egregious.

All that's required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing, someone famous once said...

Thanks for the one-up!

Jim in California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment