U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-31-2009, 05:17 AM

4 posts, read 23,375 times

Advertisements

So here's my story. Kind of have to explain and give dates and stuff or else I know no one will be able to answer my questions, so bear with me.

I was laid off from my job a few months ago, applied for unemployment the same day I was let go, and the determinations went through in my favor (my former employer told me they wouldn't be fighting it because I was one of about 500 people who got let go all at the same time and we were all losing our jobs due to no fault of our own.) This was (is) a Fortune 500 company. My benefit year for the unemployment benefits began on June 14th.

Now, to my knowledge, the way this currently works is that you have your initial 26-week benefit, followed by Federal unemployment help (EUC Tier 1/EUC Tier 2), and then there's the Florida Extended Benefit available after that.

Now, The Agency for Workforce Innovation says your benefits have to be exhausted or your benefit year has to expire prior to 12/19/09 in order to be eligible for Tier 1 EUC benefits.

I'm confused about when my claim will be exhausted. I haven't worked at all since the layoff in June, so I've taken the entire $275 a week, every week. I'm scheduled to claim 2 more weeks on 11/3 for the 2-week period ending 10/31. Currently, my available credits are $2,067 (When I first filed the claim it was closer to $7,000, but claiming my weeks between June and now has decreased the available credits.)

So, in my calculation, that's a claim on 11/3, a claim on 11/17, a claim on 12/1, and a claim on 12/15, each claim for 2 weeks, with the claim on 12/15 compensating me for the 2 week period ending 12/12. So I should be exhausting my benefits the week week prior to the expiration currently set on the EUC benefits, right? I'm worried about this because the first week is a waiting week and it gets difficult to determine how much time you have left. I know they'll probably pass an extension, but if they don't and if I don't have a job by then I'm going to be in serious trouble.

Thanks so much!

P.S. Please don't use my topic as a soundoff for political stuff about how lazy people are and etc, ok? I've heard enough of that, and it isn't fair, honestly. I worked my butt off for that company for a lot of years, and the layoff totally blindsided me, and I have been trying extremely hard to get another job, even applying for ones outside of my field/ones that pays less money/temp work. I'm not the kind of man who enjoys just sitting around doing nothing. I don't need to hear anyone quoting Rush Limbaugh about what a deadbeat I am.

You have no idea how much I hate this whole thing. I hate it on a molecular level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment