Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 PM

69 posts, read 170,404 times

Advertisements

State of the Union Address - what about extension for unemployment and cobra?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:38 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,964,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg0959 View Post
State of the Union Address - what about extension for unemployment and cobra?
No mention made of either in the State of the Union address this evening. Focus in the area of unemployment was on jobs creation.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:44 PM

305 posts, read 471,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
No mention made of either in the State of the Union address this evening. Focus in the area of unemployment was on jobs creation.

But with the February 27th deadline, they have to extend soon right? I've heard that Congress may extend benefits until the end of 2010 and I've heard a bill on the table for March of 2011. I don't think benefits have anything to do with the freeze of spending. My question is with the deadline weeks away, why didn't this topic come up tonight during the State of the Union address?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddeyho View Post
But with the February 27th deadline, they have to extend soon right? I've heard that Congress may extend benefits until the end of 2010 and I've heard a bill on the table for March of 2011. I don't think benefits have anything to do with the freeze of spending. My question is with the deadline weeks away, why didn't this topic come up tonight during the State of the Union address?
Obama was not expected to address UI or COBRA extensions in his address tonight -- per reports earlier this week. I've excerpted some of these below from a series of posts I did earlier this week on another thread -- Prospects for Unemployment & COBRA Extensions -- where I follow legislative developments.

Quote:
2010: "Pay-As-You-Go" Plan and Spending Freeze

Multiple media sources are reporting that Democrats will try to curb government spending in 2010 with a "pay-as-you-go" plan that would require spending cuts or revenue increases to offset new spending or proposed tax cuts.

Specifically concerning unemployment benefits and the COBRA premium subsidy: That would mean that the tens of billions of dollars it takes to extend unemployment benefits beyond the six months regularly permitted -- and the billions it takes to subsidize COBRA insurance premiums -- would have to be "paid for" with tax hikes or cuts to other benefit programs when the current extensions expire at the end of February 2010.

Possible escape hatch: If bipartisan agreement can be reached by Congress, continuing benefits for the long-term unemployed could be categorized as "emergency spending" -- and thus be exempt from the new "pay-as-you-go" proposal.

In addition, in his State of the Union address on Wednesday, President Obama will reportedly propose a three-year freeze in spending as another way to halt increases in the nation's $1.4 trillion deficit. The limits will be on discretionary spending, and will not be imposed across the board. Safe from the freeze are likely to be: the military, veterans, homeland security, international affairs, as well as Social Security and Medicare.

Obama Unveils Tax Initiatives to Help Middle Class - WSJ.com
Democrats Look to New Budget Rules to Tame Deficit - ABC News
Top Senate Democrat lays out deficit curbs - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com
Senate Leader Proposes Tougher Anti-Deficit Rules (Update1) - BusinessWeek
Quote:
UI & COBRA Extensions May Move Ahead Separate From Jobs Creation Bill

It is being reported on several political blogs tonight that given the complexity of the jobs creation bill -- and the delays anticipated in getting bipartisan support for that bill in the Senate -- Democrats are now considering extending the EUC Tiers and COBRA with legislation separate from the jobs creation package.
Quote:
NELP's Outlook for Extended Benefits

Comment released by NELP today:

"... many people are rightly asking if the Senate is considering adding more weeks (ie, a 5th tier) of benefits to the EUC program. The short answer is not at this time. Extending the programs themselves through the end of the year (which currently provide for up to 99 weeks of benefits in many states) is the first priority and because of the high cost, not a simple task. As much as we all know that more weeks are needed because of the severity of the recession, it is simply infeasible to consider adding more weeks at the present time."

Last edited by diorgirl; 01-27-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 11:33 PM

52 posts, read 230,614 times
Can anyone help answer my question? If I was laid off November 2009 (California) what appears to be the maximum weeks Im entitled to? Is it 52 weeks? 79? 99? Sorry but my head is spinning from confusion. This question is more about the recently laid off...

Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,480,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker32 View Post
Can anyone help answer my question? If I was laid off November 2009 (California) what appears to be the maximum weeks Im entitled to? Is it 52 weeks? 79? 99? Sorry but my head is spinning from confusion. This question is more about the recently laid off...
26 weeks on your initial claim. If you started your regular claim after August 16, 2009, you will not be eligible for any extension benefits (FED-ED extension program) unless Congress takes further action again to extend the new filing deadlines.

New Federal Unemployment Insurance Extensions

Old 01-28-2010, 01:15 AM

52 posts, read 230,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
26 weeks on your initial claim. If you started your regular claim after August 16, 2009, you will not be eligible for any extension benefits (FED-ED extension program) unless Congress takes further action again to extend the new filing deadlines.

New Federal Unemployment Insurance Extensions
Thanks for the response...but what about the California tier levels? That edd website has old info with a cutoff date in December of 09...do I have to wait until that info is updated?

Old 01-28-2010, 01:41 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,480,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker32 View Post
Thanks for the response...but what about the California tier levels? That edd website has old info with a cutoff date in December of 09...do I have to wait until that info is updated?
Refresh the page??? It looks up to date to me. The last legislation was passed in December and the following quote refers to that:

Quote:
For those who run out of all of their regular UI benefits, up to 26 weeks, on or before February 20, 2010, and remain unemployed and otherwise eligible, this new federal action will make you potentially eligible for the first extension or tier of unemployment benefits that provides up to 20 weeks of additional benefits. Eligibility for any further extension benefits beyond that will all depend on whether or not Congress decides to further push back the new extension deadlines.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:20 PM

24 posts, read 58,775 times
So is there still a liable chance that Congress and the Senate are going to push the deadline back from February ???? My tier 1 expires on March 20th. If they push the deadline back I am assuming I would be able to get Tier 2.

Also if I collect state (PA) EB do i have to file a written work search ?? And what does that include ? How much information is required ? What type of proof do they need ? Does it delay the payment of benefits or will I still get it on Wednesdays ?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:46 PM

Default Senate Democrats Moving on Multiple Jobs Bills

Posted earlier this evening on another thread -- Prospects for Unemployment & COBRA Extensions -- it looks like Congress is focusing on extending the cut-off dates for existing UI and COBRA extensions for the more recently unemployed; no word on lengthening the number of weeks provided by the existing EUC Tiers or adding new Tiers for long-term unemployed.

Quote:
In response to the President's prodding in his State of the Union address last night, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said today that Senate Democrats will announce a two-part "jobs agenda" next week -- one part offering short-term relief, the other longer-term programs.

"Short-term relief" would include payroll tax breaks to companies that hire unemployed workers, and extensions of unemployment and COBRA insurance for the more recently unemployed. Democrats are hoping to get a bill addressing these near term issues onto the Senate floor for a vote as soon as next week.

According to Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), "We haven't quite settled on what the 'long-term reforms' might be."

However, Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) said longer term reforms would likely focus on infrastructure spending, include money to keep the Highway Trust Fund solvent through the end of 2010 -- the trust fund is the main source of financing for highway and transit projects.

Senate Democrats are discussing packaging these longer term reforms in smaller individual bills, as an alternative to passing a single comprehensive jobs package that could total roughly $80 billion.

US Senate Democrats Considering Series Of Small Jobs Bills -Sen Boxer - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100127-711174.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines - broken link)
Senate Democrats ready 'jobs agenda' for next week - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room
US Senate Democrats To Unveil Initial Jobs Bill Next Week - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100128-716959.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment