U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:43 PM

600 posts, read 697,445 times

Advertisements

Here is what it says on Georgia's DOL website:

First Extension Available: First-Tier Emergency Unemployment Compensation (1st Tier EUC) provides up to 20 weeks of additional benefits to individuals who established an unemployment insurance (UI) claim that began on or after May 7, 2006; have exhausted their regular UI benefits or their claim benefit year has ended; and they are not eligible to establish a new UI claim in any state. The last week to apply for 1st Tier EUC is the week of December 20-26, 2009.

Second Extension Available: Second-Tier Emergency Unemployment Compensation (2nd Tier EUC) provides up to 14 weeks of additional benefits to individuals who have exhausted 1st -Tier EUC benefits and cannot establish a new regular unemployment insurance (UI) claim. (Previous legislation provided 13 weeks of Second-Tier EUC benefits. The new legislation added one additional week of Second-Tier EUC benefits.) If applicable, the amount will be reduced by the amount of Second-Tier EUC payments already paid to date. Individuals must qualify for and exhaust 1st Tier EUC benefits prior to the claim week of December 20-26, 2009 in order to qualify for 2nd Tier EUC benefits.

State Extended Benefits (SEB): SEB provides up to 20 weeks of additional benefits to individuals who have exhausted all regular unemployment insurance (UI) and 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Tiers of EUC on or after February 15, 2009. Individuals who exhaust 4th Tier EUC benefits must apply by completing an online SEB application.

Third Extension Available: Third-Tier Emergency Unemployment Compensation (3rd Tier EUC) provides up to 13 weeks of additional benefits to individuals who have exhausted 2ndTier EUC benefits and cannot establish a new regular unemployment insurance (UI) claim. Individuals must qualify for and exhaust 2nd Tier EUC benefits prior to the claim week of December 20-26, 2009 in order to qualify for 3rd Tier EUC benefits.

Fourth Extension Available: Fourth-Tier Emergency Unemployment Compensation (4th Tier EUC) provides up to 6 weeks of additional benefits to individuals who have exhausted 3rd Tier EUC benefits and cannot establish a new regular unemployment insurance (UI) claim. Individuals must qualify for and exhaust 3rd Tier EUC benefits prior to the claim week of December 20-26, 2009 in order to qualify for 4th Tier EUC benefits.

How in the world is anyone able to obtain 3rd tier, then exhaust it and obtain 4th tier if they both have a deadline of Dec 20th for qualification/exhaustion? The law didn't even pass until just last week. Is this basically for older claims only?

And judging by the above, nobody would ever qualify for SEB after Dec 20th of this year because, as the way it reads, you have to have gone through all 4 tiers before getting SEB. That's impossible to do.

Then, to add even more confusion, when you go to the Ga DOL link about SEB, they still only refer to 2nd tier and how once you exhaust it, you have to apply for SEB. There is no mention of 3rd tier or 4th tier.

Am I reading it all wrong above or am I interpreting it correctly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 11,314 times
they want you to wait for the letter for instructions on 4th tier. The government worded this new extension shady so they could wait until the November unemployment stats are in and if they even go up 1/10 of a percent they will say we do not need the additional 16 weeks into 2010 for unemployment which is bogus!! All this paperwork and fighting and arguing wasting tax payers money and their(the senates time)over only giving 6 additional weeks of unemploymen!?!? They better fix this if they want the economy to recover by the projected third qaurter of 2010!! This unemployment is keeping most families from going over the edge!! They do not want to see what hapens when millions more lose their homes and no way to put food on the table.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:23 PM

915 posts, read 1,416,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
How in the world is anyone able to obtain 3rd tier, then exhaust it and obtain 4th tier if they both have a deadline of Dec 20th for qualification/exhaustion? The law didn't even pass until just last week. Is this basically for older claims only?
Yes
Quote:
And judging by the above, nobody would ever qualify for SEB after Dec 20th of this year because, as the way it reads, you have to have gone through all 4 tiers before getting SEB. That's impossible to do.
This has been addressed several occasions in various threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_theater View Post
Extended Benefits Programs Currently Available | Spotlight | Georgia Department of Labor (http://www.dol.state.ga.us/spotlight/sp_ext_benefits_programs_available.htm - broken link)

I think how they worded the 3rd tier and fourth tier is pretty shanty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
....Last month's legislation was more of a protection for what the coin "the long-term unemployed". Essentially EUC will expire 12/26/2009. How last month's legislation was written, it is not clear if those eligible for the first 14 week's of extension will even be eligible for the remaining six due to the 12/26/2009 deadline (as I understand it).

Unfortunately, you are not alone as there estimates ranging up to 5 million people will exhaust benefits at all levels by April 2010 based on current legislation.

If EUC is not extended, it is not clear how GA will handle those who exhaust their claims after the deadline....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Hensley View Post
Has anyone heard how this effects those of us that are losing our benefits a few weeks after December 31st? The way I have read we would not receive any additional weeks. That starts that entire ball rolling again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
My going assumption is similar to yours in that those who do not meet the criteria based on current law would have exhausted benefits and will not qualify for additional benefits unless there is an amendment to modify the Dec 26, 2009 expiration. I would still recommend one to continue to certify (for as long as possible). For those who would qualify to step to the next Tier by the Dec 19th/26th deadline, will be able to collect only the next tier into 2010 and then at that point those benefits would expire. If the Administration doesn't enact change now, we are looking at about 6 million people exhausting benefits by April 2010.

The FED has already acknowledge slow net job growth due to slow growth within the economy; the prediction is that unemployment will remain high for years.

This combination of news is not motivating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Hensley View Post
Am I reading correctly if my year end is Nov. 28th but still have a few weeks left I will be eligible? Thanks for the information Ga_Man.
Quote:
Have you already collected 1st and 2nd tier EUC and exhausted them? If so, then yes.

If you haven't begun 1st or 2nd tier, you'd have to go through both of them before the end of the year before qualifying for 3rd tier and 4th tier........and that's impossible to do with only 7 weeks left in the year.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:43 PM

1,828 posts, read 2,908,283 times
Great site to keep up on the whole mess that is Unemployment.

Unemployed Workers Home

Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 PM

3,814 posts, read 8,003,899 times
Default NELP Organizing for Extension of UI and COBRA Premium Subsidy

Friends-

Although we won additional weeks of federal extensions earlier this month, existing programs for jobless workers that passed as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act in February 2009 (ARRA) will start phasing out at the end of the year. With unemployment remaining high and extending over longer periods, there is a compelling case to reauthorize the ARRA - but we must advocate for it to make it happen, and ensure that ARRA is renewed before the end of the year.

Reauthorizing the ARRA is important because individuals that exhaust regular state benefits or EUC Tier I and Tier II benefits in January will generally not be eligible for further federal extensions. And as many of you have asked, those in high unemployment states will not receive the additional 6 weeks of benefits. Please see our fact sheet on how this phase-out affects different states, and why emergency action is needed. For more information, also check out our recent press release on the expiration of Recovery Act benefits.

Please tell your member of Congress that the UI provisions of the ARRA must be reauthorized without delay. It is unfair for workers to be excluded from benefits that have been granted to others now that the unemployment rate has reached double digits.

Congress has multiple issues to consider and we cannot allow unemployment insurance to get lost in the shuffle. Previous efforts to pass legislation only occurred because unemployed workers throughout the country raised their voices and made themselves heard. We are counting on you once again.

TAKE ACTION: Click here to contact your member of Congress to take immediate action on the issue of the ARRA reauthorization. Forward the action center link

Unemployed Workers Home

to everyone you know. Please also call your member of Congress to make sure they hear the message loud and clear by dialing the congressional switchboard at (202) 224-3121.

Thanks again for everything you have already done.
Your friends at unemployedworkers.org,
Andy, Andriette, Tiphany, Rick, Christine, George, Maurice, Debbie and Judy

Old 11-25-2009, 04:32 PM

11 posts, read 29,530 times
Has anyone got the November 19, letter?

Old 12-11-2009, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 10,360 times
this is some sad and scary stuff!...im 31 yrs old and have never seen the ecomony like this..i got a family to support and cant find a job anywhere!..not even mcdonalds will hire me..im afraid of what i and millions of americans will have to do to support their families if this doesnt change soon!..We got millionaires and government officials living a good life while the normal american is out here suffering beyond belief!..We need those unemployment checks and anything else we can get to get back on our feets and SURVIVE!..america has taught us to look down on criminals who do what they gotta do to support themselves and family!..im starting to think the criminals had the right idea all along..if government aint gonna help and doesnt care..then im gonna do what i need to do to survive!.no one is gonna care for your family like YOU will...God help us ALL!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 9,590 times
Have anyone recieve the fourth tier from Ga, I got the third tier, and then they cut my check off, I call my sentor, they said Ga had the the money for the fourth tier, they didn't know why Ga cut me off

Old 01-08-2010, 12:57 PM

80 posts, read 127,100 times
Default GA DOL doesn't update their website very often

To Shamrox:
The info on Georgia Department of Labor is not up-to-date. They are very slow in updating their website, so you're better off using Unemployed Workers Home for the most up-to-date info.

Amattox:
I think I'm in the same situation you are. I only got a half-payment this week. This was supposed to be my last week on 3rd tier, but I would think the 4th tier would kick in automatically. It better next week.

Jay:
God help us all indeed!

Old 01-16-2010, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 14,317 times
Default 4th tier?

hey, i have been on unemployment since the 15th of jan, 09. that means my year ran out yesterday. im on the end of 3rd tier i live in ga and wed, 1/13/10 i got only a partial payment. i didnt have it figured to be exhausted yet but i guess it is. maybe not. does anything happen after ive been on unemployment for a year? also, i guess my 3rd tiers up. do we get fourth tier? will it kick in auto like 1st and 2nd did?? also, do i have to do something since my year is up? thanks for any help guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment