U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 81,514 times

Advertisements

My benefit year ends 12/20/2009. My EUC08 runs out this 11/23. I received a letter of approval of 13 additional weeks added to my EUC08. I called my local IDES office because I was concerned about if I would still collect the extension even after my benefit year ends. The person I spoke to seemed well informed and told me that I would just have to file a new claim for a new benefit year and that I would receive a letter in the mail to do so. She also told me that I was approved for a new benefit year since my last day I worked was 1/23/2009. She told me on 12/20/2009 just call the office and file a new claim over the phone and they will start me on regular benefits all over again. As nice as it is to know that im approved for benefits again i don't understand exactly why? Also will I be getting the same bi-weekly amount as I did before? I believe it was 385$. Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 12:39 PM

after waiting another hourish I FINALLY got through to a rep who helped me. It seems that I have a new additional balance BUT since my benefit year ends I will basically receive only 1 check, which in my case the extension helped a tiny, tiny bit lol =D still great ful! Also Im approved for a new benefit year and just need to call 12/20 when it ends. My only question now is how much will my bi-weekly amount be? I know about how they split it up into base period. I just don't know the amounts I made with in those periods? So I quess I won't have a way of know my bi-weekly until the new claim waige sheet is mailed early January of 2010. In either case. Im so greatful im still getting help!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:00 PM

600 posts, read 706,521 times
So am I to understand that you did work in January of this year?

Hard to say what your new payment will be.

What I do know is, my benefit year ran out the week of Nov. 3rd. I was in the middle of receiving 2nd tier EUC. I called the GA DOL and I had to go in, reapply for a new year, which obviously I am not eligible for a new claim, but because I was already receiving EUC, they will continue paying me that. EUC is paid to anyone who cannot establish a new claim and was eligible in the first place.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
So am I to understand that you did work in January of this year?

Hard to say what your new payment will be.

What I do know is, my benefit year ran out the week of Nov. 3rd. I was in the middle of receiving 2nd tier EUC. I called the GA DOL and I had to go in, reapply for a new year, which obviously I am not eligible for a new claim, but because I was already receiving EUC, they will continue paying me that. EUC is paid to anyone who cannot establish a new claim and was eligible in the first place.

That is what I understand so far. You can continue to receive your EUC08 after you benefit year ends ONLY if you filed for a new claim AND are denied at the end of your benefit year. But if you worked at all like I did (1day) of that year you should be able to be elegible for a new benefit year. They didn't tell me what I would be making for my new benefit year but that It would start all over again and I would continue to call Teleserve as usual. $385 bi-weekly I believe is the most a single can get. I read a post of some one going through this exact thing. There new bi-weekly was $300. So it will go down I suspect but like I said any help is very appreciated!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:00 AM

6,637 posts, read 8,392,467 times
It depends on the state. In NY they take the highest of the previous 6 quarters in determining the amount you get in your 2nd benefit year. So unless you had a job where in the 6 months before you went on UI your income dropped (usually commission sales or waitressing, this is why my wife's UI dropped by about 20%), it shouldn't change. My benefit year ends in 2 weeks so I guess I'll find out. I don't know if it works that way in other states.

Back to my wife, it appears with the new benefit it started a brand new "26 weeks". Now whether that means you get more extensions remains to be seen, as she should exhaust this "26 weeks of a 2nd benefit year" by late December. If not, then this is really a "dirty secret" because I thought we're all supposed to get 79 weeks (and now 93).

Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 PM

187 posts, read 527,143 times
My benefits went from 300 a week to 156 a week. I am eligible for 13 more weeks at that pay. Not sure if and when I will get the new extension that was just signed in. Not even sure how much it will be for. Our local office isn't alot of help in that area.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
It depends on the state. In NY they take the highest of the previous 6 quarters in determining the amount you get in your 2nd benefit year. (and now 93).
They told that my new Bi-weekly will be determined on a new base period just like how they choose it before. But considering i've been on unemployment and extensions all through this year I know that my amount will not be close to what I made the previous year when I began unemployment. So through this im almost sure its gonna drop. I just would like to know in advance but im just gonna have to be patient and wait.

@BAM531

why did your amont drop to half? Was it when you went into a 2nd benefit year? Were you on unemployment all through the year? It must be very different for every individual because it drops depending on what you made during your base period.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:11 PM

8 posts, read 36,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
It depends on the state. In NY they take the highest of the previous 6 quarters in determining the amount you get in your 2nd benefit year. So unless you had a job where in the 6 months before you went on UI your income dropped (usually commission sales or waitressing, this is why my wife's UI dropped by about 20%), it shouldn't change. My benefit year ends in 2 weeks so I guess I'll find out. I don't know if it works that way in other states.

Back to my wife, it appears with the new benefit it started a brand new "26 weeks". Now whether that means you get more extensions remains to be seen, as she should exhaust this "26 weeks of a 2nd benefit year" by late December. If not, then this is really a "dirty secret" because I thought we're all supposed to get 79 weeks (and now 93).

I'm in NY as well, and I was just approved for a 2nd benefit year. I was expecting to see just the 7 of the 33 weeks of emergency benefits remaining. But, like your wife, my claim seems to show a brand new 26 weeks as well. So far, everything appears as though it's a brand new claim that's not in any way affected by my first 52 weeks. I have thus far submitted my claim for my unpaid waiting week -- which is a bit odd considering that I should just continue with the remaining 7 weeks of emergency benefits.

I'm wondering if this is just a glitch that will be fixed once the first check comes in, or if there really is some "dirty secret" in NY. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Old 11-21-2009, 12:41 PM

6,637 posts, read 8,392,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycphotoguy View Post
I'm in NY as well, and I was just approved for a 2nd benefit year. I was expecting to see just the 7 of the 33 weeks of emergency benefits remaining. But, like your wife, my claim seems to show a brand new 26 weeks as well. So far, everything appears as though it's a brand new claim that's not in any way affected by my first 52 weeks. I have thus far submitted my claim for my unpaid waiting week -- which is a bit odd considering that I should just continue with the remaining 7 weeks of emergency benefits.

I'm wondering if this is just a glitch that will be fixed once the first check comes in, or if there really is some "dirty secret" in NY. Does anyone else have experience with this?
The "unpaid waiting week" does happen with the "2nd benefit year" unfortunately, that happened to my wife too. And it is not just NY, every state seems to have the "2nd benefit year" situation others have commented that here.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 28,923 times
Can unemployment take your EUC if you already are reciving it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment