U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,223,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I collected unemployment when I voluntarily quit my job to move when my husband landed a new job in another state. It might vary by state, but I can tell you absolutely for sure straight up that I was able to do so.
I seriously doubt that one can claim unemployment benefits when you voluntarily quit your job. I also seriously doubt that this varies by state. Think about - a lot of people would do this for whatever reason (i.e., they did not like their jobs, just to stay at home...). To the OP, do not expect to get unemployment benefits if you move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 09:07 PM

4,809 posts, read 10,201,763 times
Quote:
No, I didn't have a choice. I was living in an area where I knew nobody and had no one to stay with--especially with a young child at the time. My one friend was in an abusive relationship so going to stay with her was out of the question, my closest friend in the area moved away about a month before we moved. We couldn't afford two households on our income, when we moved we actully downsized to an even smaller rental than we had been living in. My job in NY was shakey at best, the company declared bankruptcy and closed a few weeks after I left, and my final paycheck bounced. My husbands employer owed him about six weeks of back pay when he quit, we never got that back, either.
That describes a situation that qualifies for social or human services, not unemployment benefits. I live an area where I don't know anyone. And in a few weeks, if I don't figure something out, I won't have anyone to stay with. The qualifications for unemployment are nothing more than whether you are able to work, are seeking work, and your employer or you have paid into the benefits system.

That's it. Not whether your friend is nearby or in an abusive relationship or you might lose your job in the future or anything else.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:24 PM

148 posts, read 184,899 times
The way it is worded in Virginia and Tennessee (and most other states I would imagine) is that you have to become unemployed by "no fault of your own" to get benefits. Voluntarily leaving your job would disqualify you. But who knows, stranger things have happened. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 PM

518 posts, read 969,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I seriously doubt that one can claim unemployment benefits when you voluntarily quit your job. I also seriously doubt that this varies by state. Think about - a lot of people would do this for whatever reason (i.e., they did not like their jobs, just to stay at home...). To the OP, do not expect to get unemployment benefits if you move.
Actually, as a military spouse, we are able to collect unemployment benefits if we quit our jobs when our spouse receives military orders to move to a new state.

Go ahead, bashers, bash away! I think it would be completely RIDICULOUS to suggest a military spouse stay behind until they can find a new job. We spend enough time away from our spouses while they are deployed...

Old 11-21-2009, 09:49 PM

4,809 posts, read 10,201,763 times
seattleite, no one is talking about military benefits. They are a completely different issue. There is no need to complicate the discussion like this.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:12 PM

21,282 posts, read 27,107,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
That describes a situation that qualifies for social or human services, not unemployment benefits. I live an area where I don't know anyone. And in a few weeks, if I don't figure something out, I won't have anyone to stay with. The qualifications for unemployment are nothing more than whether you are able to work, are seeking work, and your employer or you have paid into the benefits system.

That's it. Not whether your friend is nearby or in an abusive relationship or you might lose your job in the future or anything else.
I can't comment on your situation.

Bottom line as it relates to this thread, my husband got a new job out of state. We moved. I quit my job as a result. I got unemployment for a couple of weeks until I started a new job. I'm sure if it wasn't allowed under the rules, I wouldn't have gotten it. The end.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:46 PM

6,712 posts, read 6,824,212 times
Quote:
I know I had to go to the NJ U/E office, but I believe the claim was paid for by NY. Like I said, that was over 15 years ago so I don't recall exactly how it worked.

That would make more sense, but what OP was asking about can't be done.

You can't get UE from a state you just moved to, you collect UE from the state you worked in.

Even if your laid off and move to a new state, your benefit is paid out of the state you lost your job in.

CA owes her nothing.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 AM

6,283 posts, read 7,134,164 times
Quote:
If it was "wrong" then why did they give it to me? I filled out the forms honestly, and was granted U/E. Don't like it? Write your congressman.
Considering how you bash a lot of people on here for their "ways" and how they're taking advantage of UI I'm kind of surprised at your responses on this issue. That said I agree (especially since it was so short term) that if they gave it to you, then great, I have no problem with it!

I honestly think especially because it was just a couple of weeks that you "got away with it". Even in good economies, most U/E depts. (and especially those of big, bloated states like NY) are overwhelmed and really focus on the "big fish" when it comes to UI problems. The one surprise I have here is that I would've thought your ex-employer would've challenged your UI if it is because you quit, regardless of the reason. But my guess is that they were being nice about it since you were likely a pretty valued employee there and they missed seeing you needing to leave but understood and wanted to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
It doesn't matter whether it's two weeks or six months, collecting unemployment compensation when you voluntarily left your last job is wrong, period.
Even though my post above is a bit of a "bash", I don't completely agree with you on this. The military example was a really good one. While gov't can't completely prevent splitting up families over the economy, if they can help a little bit to keep them together during hard times, what is really so wrong about that? Shouldn't we be encouraging stable families in our society? Honestly, UI is a small piece of the deficit/debt pie, more so than most people realize and allowing this isn't going to ruin our country. We can't extend UI forever, but the recent extension wasn't even a fraction of 1% of the deficit in terms of cost.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:30 AM

5,281 posts, read 8,804,325 times
Quote:
Like I said, this was 15+ years ago, the economy was much different, and my employer went bankrupt and closed about three weeks after I left, so I wouldn't have had a job had I stayed anyhow. I gave a months notice. They were so messed up that my guess is that the paperwork from u/e was never even opened.
You are probably right about that and since they went bankrupt your claim was approved; no questions asked. The UE department probably didn't pay enough attention to her initial claim since it probably got reviewed after the company went belly up.

For the others in this thread, if she got UE it was approved by someone; either the company or the state; 15 years ago so what does it really matter now? There is so much back and forth in these threads that it really is hard to read them anymore.

And for the OP, you've got nothing to lose by submitting a claim and that claim should probably be started in your new state.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:07 AM

1,560 posts, read 2,477,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerMom View Post
Our family is relocating from North Carolina to California for my husband's job. I have to leave my job in order to relocate with his. (His pays more...) I've heard that I can collect unemployment because of this. Is that so? I've called CA unemployment, but have not gotten a straight answer. Any info would be welcome. Thank you.

If you have a good relationship with your boss you can make it very easy on yourself.

See if your boss will lay you off and then you can claim benefits from NC. You cannot claim in CA, but after moving there you can still receive benefits from NC. File weekly just like normal.

If you do not have a boss that will work with you I doubt you would have any chance of getting anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment