Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 04:29 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,681,110 times

Advertisements

Let's hear some stories from people who have found themselves unemployed and later found jobs. I would love to hear from people from former unemployed people who are now successful. I would especially like to hear from any 99ers out there who found work. How did you find this job? Did you relocate? Did you learn new skills? Did you get another degree?

I am growing TIRED of my job search. I live in the middle of nowhere and it seems like I get rejected from every employer in my area.

I don't want to hear any more thoughts on how the economy sucks and there are no jobs anywhere and the U.S.A is dead, yadda, yadda, yadda, blah, blah. I always hear that stuff and want to see hopeful posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 05:54 PM

415 posts, read 614,967 times
Last year I was unemployed for six months. I could not find anything in my field. I felt worthless. I remember calling the unemployment office and asking for tips, I kid you not. They told me that as a CNA I had skills outside my field and could probably do office work, since I'd done electronic charting, education modules, had used phones and other office equipment, and had customer service skills. So I opened my search to include office work and started to get some hits, some interviews.

My father fixes copiers and fax machines for a living. One of his company's clients was hiring people because their business was actually thriving in this economy--they were a law firm that was big on credit repair and who represented clients in cases of credit repair problems (like negative items put on a credit report impacting a client from getting a mortgage in this economy). Well, my father, who got a long very well with this company (they loved him and were among the many that asked that he alone fix their copiers) gave me the manager's card and told me to send my resume to them. I did and was interviewed a week later, and hired shortly after that. It was actually a pay raise for me, and the job had benefits to boot. It was a job as a paralegal, they did the training.

Turns out the manager who took pity on me was laid off herself due to the economy, ended up relocating to Utah, and specifically sought out unemployed people to work for her, because she knew the pain we were going through, having gone through it herself. Most of my coworkers, including several middle managers she had hired, and one of the attorneys, had been laid off in this economy as well.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:30 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,399,378 times
I got laid off in the fall of 08. Tried getting work thru my union, that didn't work, tried all around in the construction industry here with no luck. So I just started selling myself as a handy man. Got a CT home improvement license & things have been steadilly improving since. Now I'm doing about 80% copper work which was what I was doing before my job evaporated and 20% whatever I can get paid for.
I guess its not the same in every field, but to me it seemed that if millions of non English speaking Latino's could come up here & find work, a real American with a license & English sure oughtta be able to. If they are willing to swallow a little pride & do whatever they need to do.
I sure liked a pension & the other union perks, but once it became a difference between making money to pay the bills doing things I did 20 years ago or waiting for something that might never come, the decision was easy. Anyway I guess I'm saying that sometimes we need to look outside the box.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:01 PM

Thank you so much for sharing. Anyone else?? I like hearing positive news!!!

Old 07-09-2011, 02:19 PM

29,703 posts, read 24,796,962 times
Well, I was laid off early this year while in Michigan... I felt sorry for myself for about an hour, than planned a trip to Chicago. I jumped on a train, stayed a few nights, and passed my resume out to some machine shops along the way. In about 2 week, I had my current job, which pays much better and is more enjoyable. Unfortunately, Michigan has been bleeding young people like me for years, I'm surprised I did not leave sooner.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Well, I was laid off early this year while in Michigan... I felt sorry for myself for about an hour, than planned a trip to Chicago. I jumped on a train, stayed a few nights, and passed my resume out to some machine shops along the way. In about 2 week, I had my current job, which pays much better and is more enjoyable. Unfortunately, Michigan has been bleeding young people like me for years, I'm surprised I did not leave sooner.
I am actually considering doing something like this myself. Possibly leaving my small town, renting a Motel 6 or something in a large city and passing out resumes to every employer I can think of.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:11 PM

29,703 posts, read 24,796,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I am actually considering doing something like this myself. Possibly leaving my small town, renting a Motel 6 or something in a large city and passing out resumes to every employer I can think of.
You don't necessarily have to go to a big city... Just some place with a stronger job market. Had I thought and planned a little better, I might have chosen Texas instead.

Also consider spending a lot of time going on careerbuilder, craigslist, etc, whatever one works best for you. Browse through the job openings in any place you might like to work. I made two contacts before coming to Chicago on careerbuilder and planned my trip around that. I brought tons of resumes to pass around along the way. I was surprised how effective this strategy was for me.

Don't plan to live out of a hotel if a job is offered though. I went the roommate route at first. Allowed me to see what the city had to offer, and I am not locked down to one area.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,876,955 times
I was unemployed for ~56 weeks before finding something. I didn't relocate but I did work on my skills, adding two certifications during my time off, and taking a software training course. I did apply to graduate school but didn't start taking courses until after I started my job. My job doesn't pay as great as my last job, and it's not with a prestigious company, but the type of work I do is more enjoyable for me than what I used to do, and I have more freedom. The company atmosphere is fairly non-competitive and laid-back.

I do think there is truth that unemployed people can give off that whiff of desperation. I'm sure I did, at least at some of the interviews I went to. I don't have any suggestions for how to overcome this, other than to find something other than your job search that is rewarding. I won't suggest volunteerism because it's been touted ad nauseum. But anything you can do that boosts your mood will also boost your confidence and your self-esteem, which will be evident to an employer. Gardening, exercise, reading, etc.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:30 AM

6 posts, read 8,275 times
while you're looking, don't sit at home - try to find a temp job.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,073,714 times
I started a business doing what my former employer did. Then stole their clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment