U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:18 PM

30 posts, read 81,290 times
Default Process for new ben year when on EUC in PA question.

My Pennsylvania UC benefit year ended at the beginning of the month while I was in the middle of collecting Tier II EUC. I reapplied to start a new year, and just now got a letter saying I didn't make enough to qualify for UC bens, which is what it should say I'm pretty sure, you have to be denied a new regular UC claim to restart EUC. What I'm wondering is should they also have told me that my EUC would continue because of that? Because nothing was mentioned of that in the letter, only that I didn't qualify for UC. The computer let me file my bi-weekly claim on Sunday, but so far it hasn't said that the money will be deposited on Wednesday, and it usually says that by Sunday night/Monday morning. Has anybody in PA gone through the process yet and able to share their experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 06:31 PM

893 posts, read 1,169,493 times
When the same thing happened for me in Michigan, I got the denial letter for a new claim, then roughly the next day got a letter telling me how much extension i had coming.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:01 PM

Yeah, but I know each state does it a little differently so I'm kinda worried still. My Ben year end date also hasn't changed in the online system yet, if it even should. The PA UC website is almost useless and their phonelines are down with "technical difficulties" so you can't even call to ask.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:36 PM

1,828 posts, read 2,874,424 times
I have the same thing coming up for me in Michigan in 2 weeks. It sucks we have to worry about this stuff at all. I find it strange though that for Michigan at least they go 18 months back and one person I knew got a new claim started on that and back to week 1 but others did not that worked the whole 18 months as well. So I'm really confused about the whole thing. I wouldn't mind getting put back to week 1 again as long as they don't lower the amount. I'm not holding my breath though.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Anybody from Pennsylvania go through the process yet?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 PM

600 posts, read 690,244 times
I just went through the same thing here in Ga. My ben. year ended Nov. 2nd. I went in the week after and reapplied and obviously was denied, since I had not worked in the past year. However, I was in mid Tier 2 and as of today, those benefits have continued.

Due to the holiday last week, I actually didn't get my letter from the Ga DOL telling me I wasn't eligible for new UI until Monday of this week. The letter said nothing about my 2nd Tier EUC and how much I had left. However, I went ahead and certified this past Sunday, like I have been and my benefits were paid out today.

From what I understand, the idea behind EUC is for those who have exhausted their regular UI or those who cannot make a new claim. If I were you, I'd just keep certifying and keep you eye out on things. You should be fine.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 PM

Well I didn't get my normal deposit today, so I guess I just have to wait and see. Why they can't just send some information with the letters I don't know, or at least say something on the website.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:19 PM

6,535 posts, read 8,062,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
I have the same thing coming up for me in Michigan in 2 weeks. It sucks we have to worry about this stuff at all. I find it strange though that for Michigan at least they go 18 months back and one person I knew got a new claim started on that and back to week 1 but others did not that worked the whole 18 months as well. So I'm really confused about the whole thing. I wouldn't mind getting put back to week 1 again as long as they don't lower the amount. I'm not holding my breath though.
NY is also 18 months. The good thing about that is that it means your old job will be one of the quarters involved lessing the likelihood of a drop in benefit amount. I'm about to end my benefit year, so we'll see. My wife's year ended and her amount dropped by about 1/3, but her job had a commission component so her last 2 quarters of work were lower in pay than the "highest quarter" calculated in her original UI.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:25 PM

1,828 posts, read 2,874,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
NY is also 18 months. The good thing about that is that it means your old job will be one of the quarters involved lessing the likelihood of a drop in benefit amount. I'm about to end my benefit year, so we'll see. My wife's year ended and her amount dropped by about 1/3, but her job had a commission component so her last 2 quarters of work were lower in pay than the "highest quarter" calculated in her original UI.
Yea, I'm totally confused about the new year and how they figure if you start at week 1 again or not as Ive seen it both ways now. Although the person they put back to week 1 got $100 less then what she was getting but also didn't work full time during that time. So who knows. I really cant afford for them to lower what I'm getting. Although I always worked full time at the same amount so maybe its nothing to worry about.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:07 PM

I appreciate any input, but does anyone from Pennsylvania have any experience or info? Each state does it differently so I'm really just looking for experiences with PA. I still don't know if I'll be getting EUC. The week after my old ben year ended I filed my bi-weekly claim, one week that was in the old ben year, one week that was for the week after it ended. It was delayed by 2 days, but I got a deposit for 1 week, the one that was in the old ben year. The next week, the system let me refile my bi-weekly claim for the first week again, and this past week. That seemed logical to have my bi-weekly filing schedule readjusted since the old ben year ended, but the system still hasn't approved the deposit so far and it usually has by now. It might just be because of it being Thanksgiving week, but it's making me really worried and I can't get through on the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment