Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:37 AM

10 posts, read 80,428 times

Advertisements

I'm unemployed in IL after being laid off over a year ago (I recently established a new benefit year as a continuation of my original claim). Because my income was high before the layoff I get the maximum UC per week for a single person. I'm several weeks away from running out of Tier 2 EUC - as that will end early 2010 Tier 3 and 4 won't be available (unless extended into 2010 - read on).

My understanding is that if Tier 2 EUC runs out (given the present state of things) I'd have to start down the EB route. EB is a whole 'nother animal though, particularly since it forces one to search for and take whatever job they find. It would be career-killing to start taking jobs at McDonalds and such (I'm not dissing such jobs... been there, done that... but at this point in my career it would be a Bad Thing).

Based on remaining savings I can afford to wait a while before resorting to EB. There is talk of Tiers 3 & 4 being extended into 2010 and being on EB could be problematic for that as well (better to stay on Tier 2).

So, given all that, here's my question: While continuing to certify, what happens (besides no income) if you just pause taking Tier 2 benefits and sit out a few weeks or even a few months, without any regular or employment income at all?

When I certify I would state that I "wasn't available to work" and/or "wasn't actively searching for work". I don't want to jeopardize my claim because of this but I think it's fair to take a break and this would be the correct way to do it: I'm just not sure how long such a break is allowed (or if there is a limit)?

I am hopeful that Tier 3 & 4 will be extended into 2010, and that my saving my last couple of weeks of Tier 2 this way would be worthwhile. Again, EB is pretty much untenable for the time being.

Your thoughts? I'm also planning on asking IDES about this soon (in a more general way) but if it's a terrible idea I'd rather hear that (and why) on here first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 05:02 AM

I want to add some brief clarifications:

1) I've been actively looking for the past year, but as many of you know the market has been tight. It seems to be opening up slowly and I'm hopeful that jobs will become more plentiful over the next 6 months.

2) It went without saying but I'd greatly prefer getting a comparable job and salary versus any more EUC. I'm just hedging my bets so I don't I screw myself out of any potential EUC extensions (or worse) by falling into EB.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:32 AM

1 posts, read 8,696 times
Don't take a break from calling teleserve an claiming your benefits.then the government will find a way to not pay you at all.just put the money away.the work search forms a very easy to do.just go online etc. copy the work search form you send in.ok itts late goodnight.I have never heard of anybody ever stop claiming.then the gov will think your working an lieing to them.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:22 AM

Understand, in a few weeks (when I'd take the holiday) I'd have only 1 or 2 weeks of EUC left. So it's not like I'd be postponing thousands of dollars or anything.

I got more info today... from what I'm told it's better to put the claim on hold by not calling in than it is to keep calling in to say "nope, I wasn't working nor was I available". Then when I'm bcak from my holiday I can use Teleserve option 2 to re-open the claim. I figure if anything is going to happen with an EUC extension it'll be in late January or early February anyway... and while hopefully I'll have a job by then I'm not holding my breath on that. I'd rather wait a few weeks to get the remainder of my EUC with hope of an extension than fall out of EUC entirely, end up in EB and lose that possibility entirely.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 16,774 times
The same thing is happening with my husband. His benefit year ended on 12/09/09 and now he has to re-certify. He had just ended Tier 1 of the EUC benefits and he received an "inegibility letter" in the mail. He has been out of work for the last year and collecting so because he had no income he is not due to receive regular benefits. OK we know that, however my question is with 2nd TIer of EUC kick in before the end of this year? Help

Old 12-21-2009, 12:12 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegIL View Post
The same thing is happening with my husband. His benefit year ended on 12/09/09 and now he has to re-certify. He had just ended Tier 1 of the EUC benefits and he received an "inegibility letter" in the mail. He has been out of work for the last year and collecting so because he had no income he is not due to receive regular benefits. OK we know that, however my question is with 2nd TIer of EUC kick in before the end of this year? Help
Your post is very confusing. After 1 yr, you have to call in and reactivate the claim, not open a new one. If it's at 12/09, he should be on Tier II. All tiers were suppose to end Dec 09 if you didn't start it by then, however, they got extended to Feb 28th, 2010. Check with your State DOL and check the other extensions, EB, TIER III, IV as rules have changed since I was on them and vary by State.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 16,774 times
Great thanks for the clarification

Old 12-21-2009, 03:39 PM

Note: with respect to the recently passed HR 3326, I am hoping my question is moot... what I wonder is (in Illinois), once my Tier 2 runs out in early January, will I fall right into EB or will the newly-extended Tier 3 kick in (perhaps with a delay)? What worries me is that Tier 2 will end and EB will "automatically" start before they figure out how to roll out Tier 3 (though from what I can tell Tier 3 should take precedence).

So, I guess what I'm asking is have other Illinoisans run through EUC and immediately fallen into EB or does it take some effort (i.e., another claim process)?

Old 12-21-2009, 04:30 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriouslyVague View Post
Note: with respect to the recently passed HR 3326, I am hoping my question is moot... what I wonder is (in Illinois), once my Tier 2 runs out in early January, will I fall right into EB or will the newly-extended Tier 3 kick in (perhaps with a delay)? What worries me is that Tier 2 will end and EB will "automatically" start before they figure out how to roll out Tier 3 (though from what I can tell Tier 3 should take precedence).

So, I guess what I'm asking is have other Illinoisans run through EUC and immediately fallen into EB or does it take some effort (i.e., another claim process)?
What`s EB?

Old 12-21-2009, 04:43 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,647 times
I`m not really understanding all the confusion. Maybe I`m not getting it but it seems fairly clear in Maryland. I could be wrong.
You go on unemployment, collect your 26 weeks.
You get the extension(s),keep collecting until it runs out..that`s why it`s called an extension. It`s extending what you already have, whether it`s tier 1,2,3.
After the extensions are exhausted,whether it`s been 1yr,or 1 1/2 yrs. you can then refile for a 2nd year if you have worked during the previous year. If you have been unemployed the whole time(like me) then that`s it. You`re out of luck.
I don`t understand all of this stuff about being in the middle of an extension and then having to refile after 1 year is up. Then find out your denied for the new year but go back on the original extension.
I shouldn`t have to refile or talk to anyone at DOL until all of my extensions have been exhausted. It should be about 73 weeks total. That is the way I read it on the website and from a letter I was sent after this latest extension. They all say,you may qualify, you should just continue to file online,but DO NOT call DOL because we are swamped with calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment