U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:30 PM

14 posts, read 62,028 times
Default Going to college while on unemployment?

Alright, after being out of work for over a year and a half, mostly because I don’t have a college degree I think it might be best to go to school and get my AA. I applied for student loans as I don’t qualify for financial aid. My question is, will I loose my unemployment benefits if I go college? I just move from WA to IN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 12:39 PM

6,525 posts, read 8,013,849 times
It varies somewhat by state, but likely you will lose UI. But in most states, if you can show that you are not easily getting a job in your field and that going to college will help, they may let you collect UI or help pay for your schooling.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 45,212 times
If you take online classes, or physical classes at night, with a light load, you should be fine. I was approved for the above.

The key is to avoid classes that would make you unavailable for work by day.

Also, if you do take day courses, you might voluntarily add that if work becomes available you would quit school to take the available work. This likely would benefit you for their decision; however, the above options of online and night classes would hold you in much better stead.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:43 PM

59 posts, read 137,058 times
Anything that might interfere with your ability to get a job will mess with your UI. I advise just telling them that you are taking online classes from that college and still should be available to work any time of day/night.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:07 PM

14 posts, read 62,028 times
Silly question, since taking online and night classes is not an option for the program I'm wanting to enter (won’t know till after the first quarter as they only except 30 applicants per year), but how would they even know? If I went to school during the day I could always work at night. The job I lost had me working anywhere between 6am and 10pm. On the questions I answer every week, none ask if I’m taking any classes. I cant get financial aid, and would be paying for school with student loans.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 12-14-2009, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 45,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInLimbo View Post
Silly question, since taking online and night classes is not an option for the program I'm wanting to enter (won’t know till after the first quarter as they only except 30 applicants per year), but how would they even know? If I went to school during the day I could always work at night. The job I lost had me working anywhere between 6am and 10pm. On the questions I answer every week, none ask if I’m taking any classes. I cant get financial aid, and would be paying for school with student loans.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I think you just need to be available by day, "during normal work hours," to do your work search. It's not about the hours of the job itself, it's about the hours in which you're available to search for work.

Getting approval for online classes shouldn't be a problem. I would do what the other poster mentioned. Tell a rep that you'd like to begin taking classes and see what they say before you even enroll.

When I file for payment, they ask, but I've already been approved, so it's no problem.

With things as they are, I'd be surprised if they weren't lenient. You're making an effort to improve your maketability instead of standing still.

That, in itself, is similar to worksearch as far as I'm concerned, because you're pushing forward. Good luck.

Last edited by Zach1; 12-14-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 03:00 PM

2,942 posts, read 3,136,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInLimbo View Post
Alright, after being out of work for over a year and a half, mostly because I donít have a college degree I think it might be best to go to school and get my AA. I applied for student loans as I donít qualify for financial aid. My question is, will I loose my unemployment benefits if I go college? I just move from WA to IN.
Just curious...how can someone be on unemployment (have no income) but not qualify for financial aid? Also, how can someone have no income but yet qualify for a loan? I`m thinking of going back to school at this point as well. But there is no way I could do it withour financial aid .My credit has gone in the toilet the last year since I`ve been on unemployment. So I`m hoping to get a lot of financial aid. I also need a job to pay the bills while I`m going back to school. This is the reason I`ve waited this long to go back. I can`t afford it. There is no way I could get a loan at this point. Anyone else have any experience going back to school on unemployment and with financial aid while on unemployment. I paid for college on my own the first time around and am unfamiliar with all of the different grants and aid out there now.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:07 PM

1,828 posts, read 2,862,597 times
spm you dont have any government programs? In Michigan we get 10 grand over 2 years which is good enough for an associates degree at a community college or a trade type school like I'm going to at the moment. I also didn't get approved for Federal assistance due to my previous year of employment.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 PM

2,942 posts, read 3,136,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
spm you dont have any government programs? In Michigan we get 10 grand over 2 years which is good enough for an associates degree at a community college or a trade type school like I'm going to at the moment. I also didn't get approved for Federal assistance due to my previous year of employment.
Hey OH,
I just talked to someone at the financial aid office today. I`m just now gettting started to see what is out there. I`m out of options at this point. So I`m hoping I can go back to school and start all over again.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:18 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,606,986 times
You should be able to continue receiving UE benefits, so long as, outside of class hours, you are ready, willing, and able to work, and actively seeking work. If your classes are during the day, you need to be seeking evening/weekend work even if it is outside of your previous work experience & qualifications. If you are already receiving UE benefits, the fact that you enroll in a class shouldn't even come up. It would really only matter if you enroll in school before you apply for UE benefits.

As for qualifying for financial aid, you may want to speak to a financial aid advisor. Financial aid formulas rely on last year's income, and they assume you are earning the same or similar income. If you explain/document that you are currently unemployed, your eligibility should change. Of course, the financial aid formula does still calculate all income, and that includes a spouse's income, investment income, and weekly unemployment benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment