Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 06:51 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The initial state benefits (NJ maximum is 26 weeks) must be exhausted before the end of claimant's benefit year in order to qualify for federal benefits. Thereafter, federal benefits. All you need to know is here:

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions

You are in FL are you not? Are you collecting benefits from NJ?
No, checking for a family member who seems just as confused as I am. And I already read the link but don't get it really.
So N.J. State max is 26 weeks but how long is the federal extension?

Thanks, maybe we are dense but it seems very confusing and unclear. What is difference between EB and EUC??
Basically after 26 weeks what is the maximum amount of weeks one can recieve. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 07:35 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
What is difference between EB and EUC??
EUC is 100% funded by the federal government. Legislation expires December 31, 2011. Anyone collecting a tier on December 31, 2011 will be allowed to exhaust those tier benefits into 2012, but cannot transition to the next tier. If their state mandates EB, in 2012 they will be able to collect that, 3-month average unemployment rate permitting.

EB previously required states pay 50% of the cost; presently federal government is paying 100% of EB for all states through December 31, 2011. Shortly thereafter, EB will cease in states which do not mandate EB.

NJ is a state which mandates EB payment. Therefore, in the event federal legislation is not extended, NJ will continue to pay EB, cost to be split with the federal government 50/50.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Basically after 26 weeks what is the maximum amount of weeks one can recieve.
73 weeks, paid in the following order:

20 weeks - EUC Tier I
14 weeks - EUC Tier II
13 weeks - EUC Tier III (trigger 6% UE)
06 weeks - EUC Tier IV (trigger 8.5% UE)
13 weeks - Extended Benefits (trigger 6% UE)
07 weeks - High Extended Benefits (trigger 8% UE)

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-21-2011 at 07:57 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 04:19 PM

15 posts, read 26,109 times
quick question.

I actually do collect from NJ but just recently moved down to FL a month ago. Just claimed my last week of Tier III. How many more weeks do i have that are guarenteed? How is EB determined in FL?

Is my 6 weeks of Tier IV all I have left?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyRNYC View Post
quick question.

I actually do collect from NJ but just recently moved down to FL a month ago. Just claimed my last week of Tier III. How many more weeks do i have that are guarenteed? How is EB determined in FL?

Is my 6 weeks of Tier IV all I have left?
No. You can collect all of Tier IV. You can also collect from NJ another 6 weeks EB through January 14, 2012 if you are living in FL. Both claiming state (NJ) and resident state (FL) must be paying EB for you to collect. FL will not pay EB without federal help. Therefore, NJ will stop your EB benefits the second week in January.

However, NJ mandates EB with or without federal help. So, if Congress does not extend the legislation, if you are still a NJ resident in 2012, you would be able to collect all 20 weeks of EB instead of approximately 6 weeks (Dec-Jan.14).

You might want to rethink that move if Congress does not extend the EUC and EB programs into 2012 - or move back to NJ after the holidays.

FL has nothing to do with paying your benefits since your claim originates in NJ. You would need to earn eligible wages in FL to qualify for FL benefits - which, btw, are considerably lower than NJ. Max benefit in FL is, I believe, $275/wk.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-25-2011 at 07:09 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 12:20 PM

a bit confusing. but i think i understand.

BTW, i currently LIVE in Florida.

I will be putting in a claim for Tier IV this sunday which grants me 6 weeks from tier IV and additional 6 weeks from EB is what your saying?

also, say congress does pass something before 2012. Will I then be awarded with my full 20 weeks?

Old 10-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I will be putting in a claim for Tier IV this sunday which grants me 6 weeks from tier IV and additional 6 weeks from EB is what your saying?
Yes.
Quote:
also, say congress does pass something before 2012. Will I then be awarded with my full 20 weeks?
Yes.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM

Thats crazy even though I live in Florida.

also when I originally put my claim in it said I had misconduct, but on the phone interview it was overturned and I didnt have to wait a penalty. Will I be fine?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Thats crazy even though I live in Florida.

also when I originally put my claim in it said I had misconduct, but on the phone interview it was overturned and I didnt have to wait a penalty. Will I be fine?
Yes. Your misconduct was overturned, you served you no penalty period. Ergo, it is not an issue.

You should be OK with EB from NJ as long as Congress extends legislation and FL pays EB as well. Otherwise, your EB from NJ ends Jan 14th, latest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment