Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng2 View Post
For me, not so much those receiving benefits vs. those who do not qualify. Mainly, I've just noticed a disconnect between employed vs. unemployed. There are those who have experienced it and have walked in those shoes who will be sympathetic to the plight of the unemployed. Others may never have lost a job in their lives who act as if they have no clue.

My view is that times have certainly changed over the past 50 years or so. It's not too common to see the 25 or 30 year careers at one company. Those that exist are usually occupied by people getting close to retirement age now. Markets seem to be much more volatile now and you never know when your job will "disappear". I think a lot of times until someone has experienced it themselves, there will be a degree of disconnect towards those who are currently unemployed.
I've been unemployed but I never collected unemployment handouts.

I know it's hard - you walk up and down the street looking for any job postings, applying everywhere, waiting to be called for an interview, you take any job you can get in the meantime. You do farm work, factory work, restaurant work, you agree to work weekends, night shift -- anything.

No it's not fun - but I would never sit around for over a year unemployed and waiting for some job to come knocking at my door.

I think people have to start living in reality - if emailing a thousand resumes a day doesn't bring in something after months of doing that, then find another approach.

At some point, the government may realize it's out of money and starts cutting back on the unemployment checks, or makes you wait for the next extention -- then what?

If you look around, you'll see plenty of people coming here finding and taking all kinds of jobs - because the jobs are there. They might be hard work jobs, or not real hard like picking fruit. Helping to bale hay isn't even all that hard - the work is out there but we have to stop thinking the government will always be there to take care of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 10:45 AM

600 posts, read 1,074,309 times
What makes me laugh are people who forget that those of us who have worked AND PAID into the unemployment system are not getting a "hand out". We're getting back what we put in. I've been working for 20 years. Even if I collected unemployment for the next 5 years, it wouldn't even come close to what I've put into the system.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
What makes me laugh are people who forget that those of us who have worked AND PAID into the unemployment system are not getting a "hand out". We're getting back what we put in. I've been working for 20 years. Even if I collected unemployment for the next 5 years, it wouldn't even come close to what I've put into the system.
Actually unless you live in one of the two states where there is a payroll deduction to the employee for u/e insurance, you didn't pay into it, your employer did. And in many states (Florida for one) the u/e agency is out of money and is taking loans from the Federal government to pay u/e benefits.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
We cannot maintain a system where someone works only 20 years and then believes they can be set for life. It's not sustainable.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
We cannot maintain a system where someone works only 20 years and then believes they can be set for life. It's not sustainable.
Where did I say I was set for life?

Trust me, living off of $ 330 a week isn't a fun experience.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually unless you live in one of the two states where there is a payroll deduction to the employee for u/e insurance, you didn't pay into it, your employer did. And in many states (Florida for one) the u/e agency is out of money and is taking loans from the Federal government to pay u/e benefits.
Um, yeah. You don't think that the employer takes that into consideration when they calculate your pay when you're hired?

LOL @ thinking that an employer does anything for an employee without making sure the employee puts into it.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Where did I say I was set for life?

Trust me, living off of $ 330 a week isn't a fun experience.
How long do you believe 10% of working type Americans can be handed $330 a week to do nothing?

Old 12-24-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
How long do you believe 10% of working type Americans can be handed $330 a week to do nothing?
How long have these Americans been paying into the system?

Old 12-24-2009, 11:18 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
They're being paid money to live on while they search for work to replace their previous employment. I don't consider that "doing nothing".

This is the kind of attitude that prompted me to write the original post.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Um, yeah. You don't think that the employer takes that into consideration when they calculate your pay when you're hired?

LOL @ thinking that an employer does anything for an employee without making sure the employee puts into it.
The point is that unless you live in one of the two states with direct payroll deductions for u/e, technically YOU didn't pay into it, your employer did.

And frankly unless you've been making a six figure income for the past 20 years, the entire amount of state income tax you paid in directly over 20 years would be paid back out to you in under four years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment