Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 10:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,935,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
annerk - I did find a job finally. After looking for 5-1/2 months. applying to 275 jobs and applying to a dozen retail positions. And going on 20 interviews and callbacks. I think I got lots of interviews because I was willing to work at a reasonably cheap wage, although still fair for my field.
Luckily I did not have to take a salary cut at the new job and it is working out well as a career move for me.
I got laid off in mid -08 and was working by fall of -08. I did manage to get one interview for a retail job, and they did not hire me even though I was willing to take their wage: $8.50/hr.. Even though that was all I did through high school and college at that same exact store chain!
Glad to hear things worked out for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 11:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
Who said anyone is sitting around waiting for the "same job" to come back? I know I'm not.
I have a degree and additional education beyond the degree - but in between jobs, I've worked in factories, restaurants -- you name it, until I got back into what I wanted. Sometimes it was because I moved around to try other regions and just took what I could.

What is kind of interesting is that I live in an area of very high immigration and people show up new to the country and in no time are earning decent enough money -- one guy gets $300 a week untaxed for basically raking leaves, doing minor home repairs, living on the property as a caretaker, all his living expenses paid -- and he finds work on the side baling hay, landscaping, supervising workers brought and doesn't have a problem getting $20 an hour untaxed.

Too many Americans won't do that kind of work apparently -- and certainly not as long as unemployment pays them much more not to work - but those days are numbered. The government simply cannot go on paying millions of able-bodied never to work again.

I believe Americans have to get practical, if all the job creation is the unskilled kind of labor, and the factories are shut down, the housing industry has cut way back, then you have to make do with what there is. Unemployment rates with people paid quite well are not going to go on indefinitely.

I don't see the factories coming back -- not as long as people want cheap $30,000 cars made in other countries with $0.50 an hour labor costs. I believe the government will try to revive the housing bubble, and maybe people shouldn't hold up their noses to construction jobs and at least get in on that mini-bubble while it lasts.

But -- without manufacturing, there won't be a middle class. That's my opinion but there are reasons other countries are so eager to take the manufacturing off our hands.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:02 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,481,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post

I am trying to go to school, look for work, and learn new skills. I don't want to be on unemployment forever. I have even considered part-time work or possibly voluteering in order to add more people to my network. No, not all of the unemployed are sitting around watching Days of Our Lives reruns.
Days of our Lives is a soap opera, they do not show reruns.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,935,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Days of our Lives is a soap opera, they do not show reruns.
I guess you don't get the SOAP Channel on your cable system.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:02 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,715,519 times
I tend to side with the views of the unemployed, although never been there myself. My wife and I waited throughout the bubble, got some decent used cars and truck all paid for and some good savings built up. Then in late 07 we bought a new home for about 60% of the prices a year ago. The state budget cuts then cost my wife her teaching job, and with 125,000 let go nationwide you can imagine the competition when there is a position open. In the end the result is the same, despite the fact we didn't spend beyond our means.
I also want to point out that during the early 80's recession EUC was extended SIX times. This economy is far worse and I don't expect to see any less extensions than last time.
You people that sneer at the unemployed and look down upon them, could join them at any time, or be part of the burning body pile if the country keeps going the way it's going...

Old 12-30-2009, 12:49 AM

436 posts, read 952,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
You people that sneer at the unemployed and look down upon them, could join them at any time, or be part of the burning body pile if the country keeps going the way it's going...

People, whether employed or not, are going to be humbled big time in the next few years. This country is on a crash course to economic collapse, the likes we have never seen before. And I highly doubt that the chest thumpers on this forum are in the top 1 %.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
People, whether employed or not, are going to be humbled big time in the next few years. This country is on a crash course to economic collapse, the likes we have never seen before. And I highly doubt that the chest thumpers on this forum are in the top 1 %.
Yes, but I think people are just enjoying the good times while they can. People are out filling the Walmarts and big malls shopping like there's no tomorrow.

I used to try to buy American, back years ago when there was still something American to buy - but why bother anymore? No one cares, no one wants to see the two-party political sham, no one wants to vote the globalist puppets out of office. As long as the unemployment handouts continue on, people are fine with the status quo, no one is doing to do anything, certainly not the grateful-to-the-government unemployed.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,859,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I tend to side with the views of the unemployed, although never been there myself. My wife and I waited throughout the bubble, got some decent used cars and truck all paid for and some good savings built up. Then in late 07 we bought a new home for about 60% of the prices a year ago. The state budget cuts then cost my wife her teaching job, and with 125,000 let go nationwide you can imagine the competition when there is a position open. In the end the result is the same, despite the fact we didn't spend beyond our means.
I also want to point out that during the early 80's recession EUC was extended SIX times. This economy is far worse and I don't expect to see any less extensions than last time.
I feel for your wife trying to find a teaching job. I was let go from my teaching job this year. My students cried when they found out and my coworkers were shocked. I have even applied in the ghettos of several large cities and they are actually getting a lot of applicants for elementary teaching jobs. I am about to try to apply for a charter school job in the most dangerous ghetto in the country so I can get off unemployment. I am a single female and won't feel safe going to work if I were to get the job, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And they say we are just looking for a handout. Since when is $265 a week a handout?

Old 01-20-2010, 03:02 PM

129 posts, read 532,858 times
The way I look at it, they can walk away from the house and start fresh now or get evicted by the Sheriff in two years when they are that much older and have spent the last two years living on a prayer. Five years from now, which person will be better off?-- To be honest, in either case you wouldn't be more better off. Whether you walk away from a mortgage or get evicted, your credit is ruined for 10 years. If you decide to look for work in another state, your employer will look at your credit history and see your black mark on there. Trying to rent an apartment or another house?? There's another thing that your credit report will affect also. In the case of a VA loan (and I have one of these), they will come after you to get their money back. Because they are a part of the Federal gov't, they can do such things as wage garnishes, liens, and the like.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:38 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,016,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
So what are the people who normally work those lower end jobs supposed to do? There are plenty of US citizens who have worked for years as a custodian, stock clerk, or in fast food. What do you all think they should do when all of the people who think that just because they have a degree they should get one of those lower level jobs takes the jobs of the people who NEED them because they don't have the opportunity to do anything else? Some people have learning disabilities or just aren't really smart enough to attend colelge or trade school. Should they walk off into the woods to die?
Wait a second. Previously you were lecturing people about changing their expectations and doing whatever they need to and now you are mad at them when they do change their expectations and look for alternative work because it might displace someone else?

Let's face it -if you believe there aren't enough jobs for everyone, and it seems you do, why are you dismissing peoples efforts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment