U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:53 PM

262 posts, read 573,201 times

Advertisements

Didn't know where to post this question but the unemployment section seemed like the closest category. Does anybody know if you get food stamps does it affect your eligiblity for any other government assistance programs? For example if you are getting food stamps can you still get unemployment benefits or a pell grant if you are eligible? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 07:10 PM

23,990 posts, read 32,322,325 times
Food Stamps should not affect any of your other benefits.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:21 PM

30 posts, read 82,532 times
But, if you collect UC, you most likely are considered as making too much to collect food stamps. The max income level is ridiculously low.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killnfool View Post
But, if you collect UC, you most likely are considered as making too much to collect food stamps. The max income level is ridiculously low.
That depends on where you live. In Florida the max is $275 a week (less than minimum wage!) as opposed to the $900 a week that MA pays out.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 PM

262 posts, read 573,201 times
So if you are receiving ebt/food stamps and then your income level gets above the max limit for eligibility for ebt do they just cut it off then immediately then is that how it works?

Old 12-21-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
So if you are receiving ebt/food stamps and then your income level gets above the max limit for eligibility for ebt do they just cut it off then immediately then is that how it works?
Pretty much, although as the income rises the amount of food stamps will decrease until the cutoff point is reached.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:18 AM

6,626 posts, read 8,347,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That depends on where you live. In Florida the max is $275 a week (less than minimum wage!) as opposed to the $900 a week that MA pays out.
$900? Really? Wow! (I know MA was pretty high and gives you more UI if you have kids and otherwise qualify (i.e. if half your old income matches the "kids bump"), but I thought it was more like $600-700/week). $900 seems really high for UI, but if states like FL and AZ can be so low as $275/week (actually I think AZ is even worse, like $240 or something, I read about it somewhere), I can believe the reverse.

I know NY is $405/week max (which I get) and my wife gets a lesser amount of UI and food stamps said that the $25/week "Obama bump" put us past the minimum for food stamps if numbers help any.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:29 AM

44 posts, read 117,254 times
Quote:
Here in Kansas they don't just kick you off. You have to report to them that you are receiving other income. If you don't report it and they find out, you will have to back pay all the money you got for food stamps.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:38 AM

165 posts, read 269,523 times
Quote:
Didn't know where to post this question but the unemployment section seemed like the closest category. Does anybody know if you get food stamps does it affect your eligiblity for any other government assistance programs? For example if you are getting food stamps can you still get unemployment benefits or a pell grant if you are eligible? Thanks for the help.
It won't affect any other eligibility. I would apply and see what they say (you can do it online. NJHelps.org). If you are not eligible for foodstamps, you can always check out the local churches and state-run food pantries - it helps. Good luck!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 AM

8,842 posts, read 12,557,840 times
I collected food stamps for three months while I was waiting for my unemployment benefiits to kick in. When that happened, I was cut off for making too much money, plus, due to their mistake, I owe the county $71.00. The max for a single person in California is $897 per month, and my unemployment is $1252.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment