U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:36 AM

41 posts, read 74,689 times

Advertisements

I received a call for an interview today. It sounds like a good job...a good fit for me. During the phone interview she asked me ..... so what have you been doing since you were laid off? I was laid off in July of 09..about 6 months ago. I have thought this through and gave a good answer as I have for other interviews. After hearing my answer she said...but what have you been doing...haven't you been temping?

Upon completion of the interview she asked me to come to an on-site interview next Tuesday.

I am a really good person. I've worked since I was 14. I've never been laid off before. Her tone when asking about the temping was condescending. Wow. Who is she to be prejudging me. I think I can tell from her side of the conversation that she doesn't take the current economy in consideration at all. I have nothing against temping at all...I've just read some horror stories about it while on unemployment that have made me hesitate to go that route.

So my gut feeling is that I really wouldn't want to work for someone who doesn't emphasize with the humanity within all of us. Perhaps an interview with her is a practice interview for the next time.

My answer for the 6 months was studying new software, volunteering, applying for full-time positions that were a good fit and a challenge for me, etc.

What is your best answer to this question? Especially those of you who have found a job! :0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 06:50 AM

735 posts, read 1,843,145 times
To me it sounds like your answer is a good one, and temping can effect unemployment.

For me personally, I temped because I did not have a good answer to that question (it was just taking me a long time to find a job!). Now my unemployment is lower, and no interviews since I temped, so eventually the temping will not be a good enough answer.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:02 AM

41 posts, read 74,689 times
Hi Renee. I think there are probably no wrong answers. There will be many employers who will look favorably upon your temping.

I need be less sensitive during the interview process. Won't it be nice when we have this behind us?

Old 12-23-2009, 04:17 PM

4,806 posts, read 12,079,445 times
Over the phone it can be hard to tell what the interviewer meant by that comment/question. It may have come across as judgmental, but maybe she just had you confused with someone else, or thought something you previously said suggested you were temping.

She asked you to come for an in-person interview so it sounds like you did something right in the phone interview.

If she asks the question again, I'd avoid trying to explain why temping is a 'horror story' or the nuances of unemployment benefits. Try to keep it more positive--something like "I was open to the possibility of temping but I didn't find an opportunity that suited me. Instead I have spent my time acquiring new software skills, freelancing, and volunteering my services to non-profit organizations." Or something to that affect. Just don't explain that fact that a temp job that would have 'suited you' would have been at least a long-term temp or didn't interfere with your unemployment benefits!

Old 12-23-2009, 04:29 PM

522 posts, read 838,332 times
I can't even find temp. work. I've signed up with three agrencies and not one of them have been able to find me a job. I've been working since the age of 15, and have a good amount of computer skills, more than many people in this town and yet still nothing.

When I get asked that I just tell them the truth, I've been trying to find work but I've always been writing articles online to keep myself busy (my field is journalism).

Old 12-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Status: "Still Contracted, 4 Years and counting." (set 4 days ago)

1,828 posts, read 2,941,418 times
Temp agencies in my area have nothing either. Doesn't bode well in finding one on your own.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:11 PM

735 posts, read 1,843,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieCo2009 View Post
Hi Renee. I think there are probably no wrong answers. There will be many employers who will look favorably upon your temping.

I need be less sensitive during the interview process. Won't it be nice when we have this behind us?
Hi Julie,

Thanks for the nice thoughts.....and yes, it will be VERY nice when we have this behind us!

Old 12-23-2009, 11:09 PM

475 posts, read 987,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieCo2009 View Post
..... so what have you been doing since you were laid off? ! :0)
Sorry to say, That going to the number one question in the future. There is going to a stigma attached to folks that have been unemployed for a long time.

Thats why I have always said, get a job, any job, no matter that it pays less than UE, until things get better. It's better to say i sacked groceries at safeway than to say I been out of work.

A worker that has been unemployed vs. one that has been working, all other things being equal will lose out in getting the job.

Business pays UE benefits. They resent folks that use the system for more than a few months. They feel, that you didn't try hard enough to find work while other did.

Right or wrong it's a fact.

good luck, personally I would say l freelanced work and hope they don't ask to see the 1099.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:56 AM

8,070 posts, read 8,685,004 times
And then when they ask for a 1099 or they hire you and have your SS#, you have a problem and could end up getting fired.

Unless their head is buried in sand they have to have a clue as to what is going on in the job market.

OP gave great answers. And besides she hasn't been unemployed that long.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:49 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,976,633 times
I doubt an employer has the right to demand to see your 1099 from a previous contract.

That is your personal business and protected under law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment