U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 01:33 PM

524 posts, read 617,048 times
Default Question: What to put for Race on applications?

I have read in several threads that AA and Hispanics recieve preferencial treatment when applying for jobs. My question is, as a biracial individual (Black and White) should I check "African American" or "Two or more races?" My personal preference is to choose "Two or more races" but in this economy I need whatever edge I can get. Are all minorites lumped in together, or is their a pecking order for what race employers recieve the most reward for hiring? I really dont understand how the whole EEOC/Afrimative Action thing works, so if someone could explain, I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 02:17 PM

600 posts, read 665,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
I have read in several threads that AA and Hispanics recieve preferencial treatment when applying for jobs. My question is, as a biracial individual (Black and White) should I check "African American" or "Two or more races?" My personal preference is to choose "Two or more races" but in this economy I need whatever edge I can get. Are all minorites lumped in together, or is their a pecking order for what race employers recieve the most reward for hiring? I really dont understand how the whole EEOC/Afrimative Action thing works, so if someone could explain, I would greatly appreciate it.
Obama claims he's black. Go for it.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:49 PM

6,401 posts, read 7,543,273 times
What do you "look" more like? Do you really look "in-between" or do you look closer to black or to white? For example, if I didn't know anything about Pres. Obama's background and simply saw him in the street before he was famous, he looks "black" to me. Whereas actress Rashida Jones of the Office (to use another example of a famous bi-racial person) looks a lot more "in between" (maybe even "white") to me. If it helps any, bi-racial actress Halle Berry definitely looks more "black" than "white" and despite not having "full" heritage was credited as being an "African-American actress who won an Oscar", so you could probably do it.

But I say this because if you check off "black" but hardly look it it may come back to bite you (if they really look at those forms). But then again, for decades society (and certainly most racists/segregationists) would consider you fully "black" (lookup "the one drop rule", etc.), so what do I know, I'm not in HR and am a "middle-aged white dude" anyways.....

Nonetheless, good luck whatever you do. Personally, I'm not sure it will get you preferential treatment per se for the job, but may help in getting the interview, like they may use the info to make sure they interview a diverse enough pool to not get into any red flags with the EEOC. Then the "edge" is in "knocking them dead" to stand out and get the job.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:07 PM

2,519 posts, read 5,167,508 times
They can't ask for "race" on an application. The EEOC form afterwards has nothing to do with your job hiring, if it does, then its discriminatory.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:47 PM

47,586 posts, read 32,237,646 times
I've known people who checked off "hispanic" in order to get their college paid for, and it worked. Apparently even without a hispanic last name, they don't bother to check it out, they just hand you the money.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
What do you "look" more like? Do you really look "in-between" or do you look closer to black or to white? For example, if I didn't know anything about Pres. Obama's background and simply saw him in the street before he was famous, he looks "black" to me. Whereas actress Rashida Jones of the Office (to use another example of a famous bi-racial person) looks a lot more "in between" (maybe even "white") to me. If it helps any, bi-racial actress Halle Berry definitely looks more "black" than "white" and despite not having "full" heritage was credited as being an "African-American actress who won an Oscar", so you could probably do it.

But I say this because if you check off "black" but hardly look it it may come back to bite you (if they really look at those forms). But then again, for decades society (and certainly most racists/segregationists) would consider you fully "black" (lookup "the one drop rule", etc.), so what do I know, I'm not in HR and am a "middle-aged white dude" anyways.....

Nonetheless, good luck whatever you do. Personally, I'm not sure it will get you preferential treatment per se for the job, but may help in getting the interview, like they may use the info to make sure they interview a diverse enough pool to not get into any red flags with the EEOC. Then the "edge" is in "knocking them dead" to stand out and get the job.
I wonder if it really matters - does anyone check it out later if you get the job or whatever it is you're trying to get? How would they make you prove it? Even DNA testing isn't going to prove anything one way or another as far as your race. After all there is no black or hispanic gene, there are genes that may be more or less common in one group versus another group.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:55 PM

4,806 posts, read 10,883,273 times
When they ask about race, they are only collecting data for the Bureau of Labor Statistics. BLS keeps records on what kinds of people apply for what kinds of jobs, and who gets hired. The data is sanitized--they don't keep names attached to the records when they are sent to BLS.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 makes it illegal to discriminate on the basis of race in hiring, and that includes hiring minorities over whites because of their race.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:15 PM

6,401 posts, read 7,543,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 makes it illegal to discriminate on the basis of race in hiring, and that includes hiring minorities over whites because of their race.
As the New Haven, CT fire dept. learned not too long ago.......

Old 12-26-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
When they ask about race, they are only collecting data for the Bureau of Labor Statistics. BLS keeps records on what kinds of people apply for what kinds of jobs, and who gets hired. The data is sanitized--they don't keep names attached to the records when they are sent to BLS.

Yeah right, try getting a job in many parts of the country if you don't speak native Spanish.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:17 AM

22,121 posts, read 28,863,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've known people who checked off "hispanic" in order to get their college paid for, and it worked. Apparently even without a hispanic last name, they don't bother to check it out, they just hand you the money.
What a crockload of ****. You racism flag is flying high, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment