U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 AM

24 posts, read 63,171 times

Advertisements

I'm a per-diem (on-call) employee for a company for about 3 months now. I am only being called in to work 1 time a month, if that.

I have worked in the past through out, so I do know that the government has taken money from my paychecks in the past for unemployment. How much I have? I have no idea .

I was told that I can still apply and see if I qualify because I am a per-diem employee and I am not being called in to work (company is really slow). I was told that all I would do is that when I do work, to deduct the amount of how much I got paid from my employer and that the unemployment office will not send me the deduction?
In the mean time, I am applying at other places, but no luck yet.

Does anyone know about being an on-call employee and still getting unemployment benefits?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 11:42 AM

23,993 posts, read 32,322,325 times
You need to have enough quarters worked and dollars earned to qualify. You really need to apply and see what happens.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 PM

6,626 posts, read 8,347,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blancagt View Post
I'm a per-diem (on-call) employee for a company for about 3 months now. I am only being called in to work 1 time a month, if that.

I have worked in the past through out, so I do know that the government has taken money from my paychecks in the past for unemployment. How much I have? I have no idea .

I was told that I can still apply and see if I qualify because I am a per-diem employee and I am not being called in to work (company is really slow). I was told that all I would do is that when I do work, to deduct the amount of how much I got paid from my employer and that the unemployment office will not send me the deduction?
In the mean time, I am applying at other places, but no luck yet.

Does anyone know about being an on-call employee and still getting unemployment benefits?

Thanks!
I'm guessing (but could be very wrong) that you are a substitute teacher. If so, that is a very tricky one for unemployment. First off, as annerk already pointed out, whether you get UI will be based on how much your worked and earned (even if I'm wrong about your profession......when you started getting down to less than half your old hours you probably should've checked into this then as in some states you might have qualfied for some partial UI for the days you weren't working, again YMMV).

Second, in many states (for example, my own of NY), if you are basing UI on a teaching job, they will not give it to you during school breaks (though in some cases for things like lunch monitors and subs they may.....I know subs here who have both gotten it in the summer and not gotten it.....). NOTE TO OTHERS READING ON HERE: If you are getting UI for a job other than substitute teaching, and do start subbing, you will get partial UI on the days you don't sub as well as on school breaks because your UI is not based on the subbing job.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 14,293 times
If you're per-diem, and you earned LESS than your weekly benefit, you should be qualified for those weeks you earned less than the weekly benefit amount.

Side note: what state do you reside in??? Are you sure YOU paid for unemployemnt benefits??? In FL, employers/businesses pay into unemployment, not employees. If you paid into it, why would you have to ask for your money? Think about it...

Old 01-05-2010, 07:45 PM

3,814 posts, read 8,070,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkizz4u View Post
Side note: what state do you reside in??? Are you sure YOU paid for unemployemnt benefits??? In FL, employers/businesses pay into unemployment, not employees. If you paid into it, why would you have to ask for your money? Think about it...

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, workers in only three states --
Alaska, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania --
pay into unemployment. Workers in the remaining 47 states do not pay into unemployment.
Comparison of State Unemployment Laws

Many people mistakenly think that Unemployment Insurance works like Social Security -- that the employer and the employee both pay in and that the funds are credited to a personal account for each employee. Not true.

Even in the three states where employees do pay Unemployment taxes, those payments do not accrue for that individual employee -- and the amount paid has no effect on the amount of Unemployment Insurance benefits that employee may receive.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 9,577 times
I live in NJ and work for a software company. Up until about 5 years ago I worked full-time (for about 8 years). Then I became a part-time per-diem employee. I don't get most benefits except 401K and 401K matching. The idea was that I would work 2 days/week. For the first few years, I worked that or even more. But this past year has been very slow and there has been hardly any work for a couple months. I am wondering if I qualify for UI. If so, do I need to get formally laid off from the job?

Complicating all of this is that I am moving to California at the end of the month. The company is located in NJ. They have told me I can work from home in CA - but there is no work right now. This could change but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment