Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 AM

16 posts, read 20,745 times

Advertisements

8/09/09 was my waiting week

I requested 8/16/2009 and was paid.

I have received 19 payments processed so far. I put in for one Monday Jan 4th, 2010 today, which will make 20 payments so far + my waiting week.

I heard Feb 28th is some cut of day for Tiers?

I live in Minnesota. Will I qualify beyond the 26 weeks. It seems I would but I want some verification, i'm a little scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 01:02 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,720,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshotschamp View Post
8/09/09 was my waiting week

I requested 8/16/2009 and was paid.

I have received 19 payments processed so far. I put in for one Monday Jan 4th, 2010 today, which will make 20 payments so far + my waiting week.

I heard Feb 28th is some cut of day for Tiers?

I live in Minnesota. Will I qualify beyond the 26 weeks. It seems I would but I want some verification, i'm a little scared.
You may want to look at your letter of determination that you should have gotten in the mail when you first filed your claim. I would venture to say that you should get the 26 weeks provided by your State but please do check your letter.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,836,177 times
In Minnesota you must exhaust your initial benefits on or before Feb. 21, 2010.

Since your first week of payment was 08.16.09, you should exhaust your benefits on Feb. 7th, 2010 which would make you eligible for EUC benefits. After EUC benefits are exhausted, Minnesota has "Federal-State Benefits" for an additional 13 weeks.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:09 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,949,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
In Minnesota you must exhaust your initial benefits on or before Feb. 21, 2010.

Since your first week of payment was 08.16.09, you should exhaust your benefits on Feb. 7th, 2010 which would make you eligible for EUC benefits. After EUC benefits are exhausted, Minnesota has "Federal-State Benefits" for an additional 13 weeks.
There are currently four EUC Tiers -- all of which have cut-off dates in February 2010. But you must exhaust a Tier before you can go on to the next. It appears you will qualify for Tier I -- qualifying date for Tier I is one week before month-end.

But it is currently impossible for you to then qualify for Tiers II, III, or IV -- Tier I runs for 20 weeks, and you will still be collecting Tier I when the February 28 cut-off date for the next three Tiers passes.

Three options: (1) Congress may extend the cut-off date for the EUC Tiers past February 28, 2010; (2) you may qualify for EB from your state (which is separate for the EUC Tiers); or (3) you may be employed and no longer collecting UI.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:12 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,801,885 times
I'll take what's behind door # 3 thank you

Old 01-04-2010, 04:58 PM

diorgirl, sorry but your information is just not accurate.

It doesn't matter if you are talking about Tier I, II, III, or IV, EUC benefits don't start until after 26 weeks of regular benefits have expired. As OP filed for regular benefits on 08.09.09, they are still receiving regular benefits and won't be filing for EUC Tier I until 02.07.10. And so long as an individual files for EUC Tier I before 02.21.10, they are eligible.

After receiving 20 weeks of Tier I, a recipient can apply for 14 weeks of Tier II, 13 weeks of Tier III, and if necessary, 13 more weeks of 'Federal-State Extended Benefits".

The information is all right here spelled out very clear on Minnesota's website: Is there a deadline to be eligible for EUC?

Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 PM

kodaka - there is a DEADLINE - once whatever tier of EUC they are on at Feb 28 2010 is exhausted - you CANNOT file for additional EUC tiers UNLESS the govt extends the deadline for filing once again. ALSO - as it stands at the moment EUC payments cease 7/31/2010.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM

Wow, is it really that hard to understand? I guess so.

Quote:
there is a DEADLINE
Noooo. Really? Thanks for explaining to me what I have already stated in TWO previous posts.

Quote:
once whatever tier of EUC they are on at Feb 28 2010 is exhausted
OP is NOT ON ANY TIER YET. Tiers start AFTER regular benefits. Every state has a program of regular benefits that have been available to qualified residents for decades and will continue to be, long after this recession is over, long after the legislature stops enacting emergency extensions. Because they are regular benefits.

The Feb 28 deadline is for people on these regular benefits applying for Tier I EUC benefits.

I can't think of a state whose explanation of all this is clearer than Minnesota's. Use the link above. Really.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:14 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,949,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Wow, is it really that hard to understand? I guess so.

Noooo. Really? Thanks for explaining to me what I have already stated in TWO previous posts.

OP is NOT ON ANY TIER YET. Tiers start AFTER regular benefits. Every state has a program of regular benefits that have been available to qualified residents for decades and will continue to be, long after this recession is over, long after the legislature stops enacting emergency extensions. Because they are regular benefits.

The Feb 28 deadline is for people on these regular benefits applying for Tier I EUC benefits.

I can't think of a state whose explanation of all this is clearer than Minnesota's. Use the link above. Really.
No -- it's not hard to understand -- if you actually read the link you have sited. The website you link says the following:

Quote:
Is there a deadline to be eligible for EUC?
Yes. To be eligible for EUC Tier One, you must exhaust regular state unemployment benefits on or before the week beginning February 21, 2010. To progress to the next tier of EUC benefits, you must exhaust benefits in a tier on or before the week beginning February 28, 2010 to be eligible for the next tier of EUC benefits.
So clearly -- according to your own source -- the February 21 deadline is for people moving from initial benefits to Tier I; the February 28 deadline is for eligibility for Tiers II, III, and IV. Your statement above [which I have highlighted in green] is incorrect -- as are your corrections of both Opyelie and myself.

Last edited by diorgirl; 01-04-2010 at 08:40 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 PM

kodaka - what I was trying to correct was you assertion here - quote < After receiving 20 weeks of Tier I, a recipient can apply for 14 weeks of Tier II, 13 weeks of Tier III, and if necessary, 13 more weeks of 'Federal-State Extended Benefits". < end quote, which is patently NOT the case.

Thank you I am aware of this as well ---> OP is NOT ON ANY TIER YET <--, but the OP WILL be on Tier 1 at the deadline of Feb 28 2010 (provided they go ahead and move onto Tier 1 after their regular benefits are exhausted) - to use YOUR tone - How hard was THAT to understand?

Please, if you're going to contradict correct information at the least attempt to be polite about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment