U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2010, 05:19 AM

84 posts, read 12,482 times
Default Am I eligible for unemployment?

I live in GA. I have worked in total about a little over 6 months at this particular job full time. I've worked with job agency A for about 5 months and job agency B for about 1.5 months at the same company. Job agency A no longer works with the company so a new job agency came and took over and everybody had to fill out new applications in order to keep their current temporary full time jobs. Can a person be eligible for unemployment if they worked for a job agency? And how much is the person expected to get? Let's say that the total gross income when combined of both job agencies is 8,507.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 10:00 AM

4,806 posts, read 10,883,273 times
Eligibility is based on a number of factors. Yes employees of job agencies are eligible, so long as taxes were deducted from your paycheck.

You must also have earnings in at least 2 quarters of the past year, and those total earnings must be 1.5x the amount of your highest-earning quarter. Confusing description I know. If you were laid off today, that means you were hired approx. June 22 and have been earning approx. $327/wk. At that rate, your earnings would look something like this:

2010Q1: $ 327
2009Q4: $3924
2009Q3: $3924
2009Q2: $ 327

If this is correct (or nearly so), you would be eligible for benefits because in Q3 and Q4 of last year, were roughly similar.

The amount you can receive cannot be more than you earned on unemployment, up to a maximum amount. In Georgia the maximum amount is $320, so you should be able to receive the maximum amount.

There are other eligibility factors too. For example your earnings must have been in the state of Georgia. And you must have lost your job through no fault of your own (i.e., you didn't quit or weren't fired for cause).

Old 01-09-2010, 01:21 PM

3,814 posts, read 7,646,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Eligibility is based on a number of factors. Yes employees of job agencies are eligible, so long as taxes were deducted from your paycheck.

You must also have earnings in at least 2 quarters of the past year, and those total earnings must be 1.5x the amount of your highest-earning quarter. Confusing description I know. If you were laid off today, that means you were hired approx. June 22 and have been earning approx. $327/wk. At that rate, your earnings would look something like this:

2010Q1: $ 327
2009Q4: $3924
2009Q3: $3924
2009Q2: $ 327

If this is correct (or nearly so), you would be eligible for benefits because in Q3 and Q4 of last year, were roughly similar.

The amount you can receive cannot be more than you earned on unemployment, up to a maximum amount. In Georgia the maximum amount is $320, so you should be able to receive the maximum amount.

There are other eligibility factors too. For example your earnings must have been in the state of Georgia. And you must have lost your job through no fault of your own (i.e., you didn't quit or weren't fired for cause).
Let me start by saying that the most accurate answer you will ever get to a question about your personal eligibility for UI benefits -- particularly in situations where you have changed employers or have breaks in employment -- is by consulting your state's DOL website and then talking directly with your state's local UI office.

Those are the only people who can look at your record and tell you exactly how your benefits will be determined.

Having said that, there are some errors in the response/scenario posted above of which you should be aware.

I'll address just a few by quoting from the Q&A from Georgia's DOL website (and I have provided the link to that official source below):

Q. How do I qualify for unemployment insurance benefits?

A. There are several qualification requirements, but these three are critical:
• You must have earned enough money in the base period to set up a claim.
• You must be unemployed through no fault of your own.
• You must be able to work, be available for work, and be actively seeking work each week you claim benefits.

Q. How long must I have worked to establish a claim in Georgia?

A. Your claim is based on insured wages earned in the base period, which is the first four of the last five calendar quarters completed at the time you file your claim. [We have not yet completed the first quarter of 2010 -- as suggested in the scenario above -- so earnings in this quarter cannot be counted. The last five completed calendar quarters would be: 4Q08, 1Q09, 2Q09, 3Q09, 4Q09. The earnings considered for determination of UI benefits would be earnings in the first four of those quarters: 4Q08, 1Q09, 2Q09, 3Q09.]

You must have earned qualifying wages in at least two of the four quarters in the base period. [Check your pay stubs to calculate how much you earned in each of these four quarters (4Q08, 1Q09, 2Q09, 3Q09). You must have qualifying earnings in at least two of the quarters -- that would be earnings that are eligible for UI.]

The total wages in the base period must equal or exceed one and one-half times the wages in the highest quarter. [Add the wages for all four quarters (4Q08, 1Q09, 2Q09, 3Q09). That total must be at least 1.5 X your wages in the highest quarter of those four.]

If you do not qualify through these calculations, there are other bases on which Georgia can evaluate your earnings for eligibility. You can find that info on the state's DOL website; link is below.

In addition, it is a common misconception that one cannot collect UI if one quit or was fired. There are situations in which you may have quit or been fired and you can collect UI.

Again, according to the Georgia DOL website:

Q. Can I draw benefits if I quit my job?

A. If you quit, you may be eligible to draw benefits if you can show that you quit for good work-connected reasons. Examples of good work-connected reasons are material change in working conditions, material change in working agreement, nonpayment for work, and similar reasons. You will not be able to draw benefits if your reason for quitting was personal even though the personal reason was a good or compelling one. The only way to know for sure whether you are eligible if you quit is to file a claim. The department cannot make a predetermination of eligibility before a claim is filed.

Q. Can I draw benefits if I was fired?

A. If you were fired from your job, you will not be able to draw benefits if your former employer can show that you were fired for failure to follow rules, orders, or instructions, or for misconduct on the job. The only way to know for sure whether you are eligible if you are fired is to file a claim. The department cannot make a predetermination of eligibility before a claim is filed.

Frequently Asked Questions | Job Seekers | Georgia Department of Labor

Old 10-01-2010, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,783 times
i left my job witch i mad ten dollars an hour for a job in the union for 24 56 an hour i have been working for six months on the books all together i worked two months in the union making 2456 and am getting laid off am i elligable for unemployment

Old 10-01-2010, 09:51 PM

13,118 posts, read 16,000,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhc3 View Post
i left my job witch i mad ten dollars an hour for a job in the union for 24 56 an hour i have been working for six months on the books all together i worked two months in the union making 2456 and am getting laid off am i elligable for unemployment
Probably. It appears over the past 6 months you might have earned total approximately $15,000 which should qualify you for something.
Call your DOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment