U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:20 AM

7,734 posts, read 7,251,776 times

Advertisements

I just lost $425 on this issue. This a terrible hit to us.

How NJ unemployment works if you have a PT job.

Lets say your benefit is $500 a week. This gives you a $13000 (26 x 500)pool of money to draw from. You are allowed to earn 20% gratis or $100. Thereafter its a 1 to 1 penalty.

Say you make $200 a week. $100 of this is penalty free and $100 is deducted from your $500 check leaving you with an unemployment check of $400. Your pool is now $12600 instead of $12500 which means it will last longer. All is good. 32 weeks later you have a balance in your account of $200. Your final week you get $200 instead of $400.

THAT IS ALL YOU CAN GET FOR THAT WEEK. even though you qualify for the next 20 weeks. You are screwed out of that $200 forever.

MAKE SURE YOUR CLAIM ENDS where you just barely exhaust your unemployment and NOT leave a small balance for the following week. That is all I will get for that week end of story. I had $7 left my last week. Yes I will get the 20 week enxtension but I lost $425 on this issue. DONT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU. Yes I just asked them after a 80 minute wait on hold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 20,616 times
How does the process for claiming part-time wages work? Do you claim online? The form doesn't ask for hours or pay received so I am assuming this isn't the way to claim it. TIA!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM

3,814 posts, read 10,610,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daquirijoe View Post
How does the process for claiming part-time wages work? Do you claim online? The form doesn't ask for hours or pay received so I am assuming this isn't the way to claim it. TIA!
You do have to claim part-time wages while you are on unemployment -- and the requirements ARE listed on the paper form for New Jersey, as well as the online form for New Jersey. In addition, there are instructions on the paper form for reporting that work/wages on the telephone.

On the side of the form that lists the data for the amount and weeks of your claim, etc. -- below Section A (with its seven numbered questions), you will a box entitled "INSTRUCTIONS".

If you have worked during the period or collected severance or vacation pay -- this box directs you to Section B, on the reverse of the form. It is there that you are required to enter the detail of your work/wages during the period you are claiming.

To the right of Section B -- you will find instructions for entering the same information when you claim by telephone.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 20,616 times
I see it. Thanks! I misread that part on the back.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:16 PM

4 posts, read 22,341 times
Default Will you receive EB in NJ if you worked part time

I cant find full time work and am looking to go back part time. I'm currently in Tier 2 and hopefully Tiers will be extended after Feb and can move to Tier 3. I see a great Part Time job that seems like a good fit. If I got the job, would I be eligible for EB down the road? I thought I read somewhere that you may not be eligible if you went to school, worked part time during your time collecting...WOuldnt really pay for me to do it unless I can collect the max # of weeks, I might as well just stay on unemployment as long as I can...Anyone know the rules?

Old 02-02-2010, 05:12 PM

8,830 posts, read 14,231,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

Lets say your benefit is $500 a week. This gives you a $13000 (26 x 500)pool of money to draw from. You are allowed to earn 20% gratis or $100. Thereafter its a 1 to 1 penalty.

Say you make $200 a week. $100 of this is penalty free and $100 is deducted from your $500 check leaving you with an unemployment check of $400. Your pool is now $12600 instead of $12500 which means it will last longer. All is good. 32 weeks later you have a balance in your account of $200. Your final week you get $200 instead of $400.

THAT IS ALL YOU CAN GET FOR THAT WEEK. even though you qualify for the next 20 weeks. You are screwed out of that $200 forever.

MAKE SURE YOUR CLAIM ENDS where you just barely exhaust your unemployment and NOT leave a small balance for the following week. That is all I will get for that week end of story. I had $7 left my last week. Yes I will get the 20 week enxtension but I lost $425 on this issue. DONT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU. Yes I just asked them after a 80 minute wait on hold
This is true in every state. A balance, however partial has to exhaust for the week before you get your next Tier the following week. You lose short term for the one week but you don't lose long term because you will simply exhaust the next tier one week later than you otherwise would've

At least you have "$100 protected". In NY you simply lose 1/4 of your unemployment for each day worked, regardless of hours worked that day or pay (unless you made more than $405 for the week, then you lose the whole week regardless of days worked). If you work 4 or more days you get no UI that week. And your max weekly benefit is much more than here.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:21 PM

12,966 posts, read 24,000,274 times
I'm in CA. I'm on unemployment with a part-time job, and don't have that problem.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,009,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworldofnj View Post
I cant find full time work and am looking to go back part time. I'm currently in Tier 2 and hopefully Tiers will be extended after Feb and can move to Tier 3. I see a great Part Time job that seems like a good fit. If I got the job, would I be eligible for EB down the road? I thought I read somewhere that you may not be eligible if you went to school, worked part time during your time collecting...WOuldnt really pay for me to do it unless I can collect the max # of weeks, I might as well just stay on unemployment as long as I can...Anyone know the rules?
In New Jersey:

You can earn 20% of your WBR and still receive a full unemployment check for that week.

If your WBR is $400, your PBR is $480, so you can earn $80 and still receive your full WBR of $400. Anything over the $80 gets deducted from the $400.

WBR - Weekly Benefit Rate
PBR - Partial Benefit Rate

NJDOL EB Details

Old 02-03-2010, 02:35 PM

138 posts, read 308,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

You didn't really "lose" $425, you got everything you were supposed to get. There was no "penalty" either, your total amound you were supposed to get for your 26 week "claim period" (or whatever the extension period was due to EUC) was still given to you just over a longer period due to your part time wages.

Many years ago I had that "leftover" (in my case) $71 cost me a 13 week extension because the extensions expired 12/30 of that year (early 1990's) and the last $25 was paid the first week of January. That was a killer.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:08 PM

947 posts, read 2,181,444 times
While I am not in NJ, I wish I had a better understanding of PT/temp work & unemployment. I have excluded myself from receiving anymore benefits or transition to Tier 1 because of taking a temporary position. When it ends, I will be SOL and left with nothing. The double edge sword is I cannot separate from the temp position and I cannot take time off (which I would have like to done for interviews for permanent FT work).

Funny how the system works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or