U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 PM

118 posts, read 283,760 times
xxswtdeexx, you should have no problem. As long as your remaining $550 is gone before November 30 when the current federal funding period ends, EDD will file an EUC tier 1 extended benefits claim for you and the weekly amount will be the same as your current benefit.

The wages you've been earning at your part time job wouldn't be beused to recalculate your unemployment benefit until your original claim expires in January 2011 and you have to reapply. Assuming you're not working full time by then, in which case you won't really have to think about this stuff any more).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,484 times
okay great to hear!!! I should hopefully have a full time job by Sept. Thanks so much for answering Sweater Fish you put me at ease!!!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:02 AM

7 posts, read 15,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxswtdeexx View Post
I'm with frog747 same situation opened my claim Jan 2010 and claim expires Jan 2011 but only have 550 left on my claim. I've been working part time so what happens next. When I emailed EDD before I started semi working they stated once my money ran out they would automatically file an extension if I qualified for one. What factors qualify you for an extension? What do they look for, do they need to bring up your recent employer after you were laid off, do you get the same amount?
sorry i just saw your post... my own experience: edd sent me my remaining balance for the first part of my claim. they automatically filed/approved my extension and the wages were not decreased. from what i understand if you meet all criteria (same questions on your regular form) then you're fine. ironically, i was laid off as an hr administrator in jan10, and even on that end of things dealing with former employee unemployment claims was still very, very confusing.

hth

Old 08-23-2010, 01:32 PM

7 posts, read 96,663 times
so i finished my 4th edd extension on 7/24/10 and the stub said i qualified for another extension and that it would be filed for me automatically. i received a letter from edd on 8/18/10 saying that i qualified for the FED ED extension, but no claim form came with it? does anyone know if the claim form is going to be mailed separately? the extension was to begin on 7/25/10. how long does it normally take for the first FED ED claim form to arrive?

Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,200,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by femg View Post
sorry i just saw your post... my own experience: edd sent me my remaining balance for the first part of my claim. they automatically filed/approved my extension and the wages were not decreased. from what i understand if you meet all criteria (same questions on your regular form) then you're fine. ironically, i was laid off as an hr administrator in jan10, and even on that end of things dealing with former employee unemployment claims was still very, very confusing.

hth
FEMG, Im curious as to what happened when your 26 weeks were up. Did the EDD simply extend you, or did you have to jump thru some hoops? Thx in advance..

Old 08-23-2010, 03:52 PM

13,849 posts, read 17,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
FEMG, Im curious as to what happened when your 26 weeks were up. Did the EDD simply extend you, or did you have to jump thru some hoops? Thx in advance..
This from the edd.ca website on moving to an extension.

Quote:
If I run out of my regular UI benefits, how do I file for the first federal extension that’s been available?
Once you have exhausted your entitlement to your regular UI claim, you may be eligible to file the first extension. If you are eligible to file the first extension, EDD will automatically file the first extension and send you an additional Continued Claim Form, DE 4581. No action is required on your part.
Once the federal extension is filed, a notice and claim forms will be sent to eligible claimants. If you do not receive a claim form in the mail from EDD after 10 days from the date you received your last check, you will need to contact EDD regarding your UI claim. A very small percentage of claims may not have been filed automatically and therefore, if you have not received any type of correspondence from EDD regarding the new extension, you may need to file a claim. You may apply online at EDD’s Web site, www.edd.ca.gov, or contact EDD by telephone. The EDD anticipates high call volumes so you are encouraged to apply online. Filing online is the fastest way to file your claim.
FAQ - Extended Unemployment Benefits

Old 08-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuperstar19 View Post
so i finished my 4th edd extension on 7/24/10 and the stub said i qualified for another extension and that it would be filed for me automatically. i received a letter from edd on 8/18/10 saying that i qualified for the FED ED extension, but no claim form came with it? does anyone know if the claim form is going to be mailed separately? the extension was to begin on 7/25/10. how long does it normally take for the first FED ED claim form to arrive?
It appears they would be sending claim forms after notification of eligibility, similar to their tier procedures (see above). If you don't receive anything by the end of this month, call EDD.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,832 times
Default your claim

Unfortunately you should have not filed a new claim, the extension was already filed for you. I f you had just left it alone and waited, you would have seen your claim continued. I know the jargon is confusing but this was a circumstance where you should have consulted an expert or have waited. I know my reply is extremely late, but you could have filed an appeal based on the fact that you did not understand the facts.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,457 times
So I'm wondering if there's anyone who has a situation similar to mine that can explain this to me.

First regular claim year expired 12/26/09
Used 26 regular weeks
20 weeks Tier 1
3 weeks Tier 2

During that first year I managed to find enough days of work here and there to qualify for a completely new claim so I was dropped from Tier 2 and put on a new regular claim with expiration date 12/25/10.

I have now exhausted the 26 weeks of that claim as of 7/31/10.
I was under the impression that since I am in an entirely new claim year and on an entirely new claim that I would again be eligible for the extensions. As it is now almost the end of August and I still haven't received any info from EDD regarding this, I called and managed to get through today. The woman I spoke with said that nothing had been filed yet and then kept me waiting for almost 15 minutes. She came back on the line and apologized for the wait saying there had been a computer glitch. She then told me that she sent my claim to be processed and I would be back on the Tier 2 extension.

I don't understand how this works because the amount that was figured for Tier 2 is based on the old expired claim. Shouldn't my extensions now be based off of my current claim? Of course I'm grateful to be getting anything at all but this is so confusing.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdove78 View Post
So I'm wondering if there's anyone who has a situation similar to mine that can explain this to me.

First regular claim year expired 12/26/09
Used 26 regular weeks
20 weeks Tier 1
3 weeks Tier 2

During that first year I managed to find enough days of work here and there to qualify for a completely new claim so I was dropped from Tier 2 and put on a new regular claim with expiration date 12/25/10.

I have now exhausted the 26 weeks of that claim as of 7/31/10.
I was under the impression that since I am in an entirely new claim year and on an entirely new claim that I would again be eligible for the extensions. As it is now almost the end of August and I still haven't received any info from EDD regarding this, I called and managed to get through today. The woman I spoke with said that nothing had been filed yet and then kept me waiting for almost 15 minutes. She came back on the line and apologized for the wait saying there had been a computer glitch. She then told me that she sent my claim to be processed and I would be back on the Tier 2 extension.

I don't understand how this works because the amount that was figured for Tier 2 is based on the old expired claim. Shouldn't my extensions now be based off of my current claim? Of course I'm grateful to be getting anything at all but this is so confusing.
Seems to me I have read on this board that even though you have begun a new claim year, you resume collecting on tiers from your first claim. Not logical, I know. I think it may be there is some limitation on the number of times one can use the tier extensions. In other words, they don't want you using the Tier system more than once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment