U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-11-2010, 02:15 PM

7 posts, read 96,663 times
Default CA EDD claim expired during 2nd extension.

need some help with this as i am a bit confused. so, i'm in the middle of my second federal extension. my CA EDD claim expired on 1/2/10. i received my last check for the week ending 1/2/10. attached to it was another claim form that i am supposed to send in on 1/17/10, which is the normal cadence for sending back the continued claim form.

it appears that i all i have to do is send back the claim form in order to continue receiving my checks. but, do i need to file a new claim since my current claim expired? there was no additional paperwork sent to me regarding filing a new claim. just a note on the stub indicating my claim expired on 1/2/10. since i received an additional claim form should i assume i just send it back on the 17th to get my next check? if i am no longer eligible to receive checks from my extension because my claim expired why would they have sent an additional claim form to send back? am i to file a new claim?

help! thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 06:06 PM

13 posts, read 139,682 times
I am in the same boat. I received a letter from EDD stating that I needed to call in and file a new claim since my claim expired after one year. I called in and filed a new claim with the same information from my original claim a year ago. I am a bit confused too because I do not know if I will stop receiving checks even thought there was a claim form attached to my most recent check. In addition, I received a letter stating that I have a telephone interview on January 21. Not sure what that's all about.

Any information would be helpful!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 AM

jayca408 - how long after receiving your last check did you receive the letter from EDD? i'm thinking that they should be sending me a notice of some sort this week before i need to send my claim form back to file a new claim. keep me posted on your progress!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 AM

8,708 posts, read 11,921,435 times
My first extension expired on 1/02/10, and I'm waiting until I get my check this weekend to see if there's another claim form attached to it. For my first extension, I refiled, but they sent me the claim forms in the mail.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:16 PM

My one year ended on 12/26/09 and I received the letter telling me that I am potentially eligible to file a new claim on 1/2/10. I was a bit confused and so I delayed filing the new claim until 1/11/10. That was the same day that I received a letter stating that I have a telephone interview on 1/21/10. I'm guessing that is because the letter was sent out before I filed my new claim. As of now, I'm waiting to see if I will receive my check for the claim form I sent in for the weeks ending 1/2/10 and 1/9/10. Hopefully there will be no disruption since I filed my new claim a bit late. I'll keep you posted. This process is a bit weird because I've heard of people whose 2nd year claim was filed automatically, that is the reason I did not think I needed to file a new claim after my year was up. EDD can be so confusing.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 AM

15 posts, read 159,360 times
My claim expired on 1/02/2010, also. (Laid off one year ago.) I am in my 2nd extension and have a bit over $3k left. I also received a continuing claim form, as usual, with my last unemployment check which arrived last Thursday, 1/07.

Unexpectedly, on Monday 1/10, I received a letter from EDD announcing a Telephone Interview has been scheduled for Jan. 23. It says "Benefits cannot be paid until you are determined eligible and your continued claim form is received." (Remember, I have a cont. claim form in my possession, which came with last week's check!? Does this mean that one is null and void, due to the fact that my claim expired prior to my depleting my account balance??)

My instructions on the back list questions likely to be addressed--

*Receipt of wages from prior employer. (What type of payment? How much? What is name/number of employer?)

*The information you provided to obtain benefits on your Unemployment Insurance claim (What info may have been incorrect or inadequate? Why did you give that info?)

*The reason why you did not provide the info required to file your new claim. (e.g. Last empl name/address; Letter from Social Sec Admin verifying the SSN assigned to you; Proof of wages earned; Answers to any other questions required to file a claim.

ANYWAY, I was totally freaked out by this letter, and am still quite concerned that there will be a delay before I get my next check. I do not know if I'm supposed to send in the claim form I have on 1/17, or wait until that interview phone call on 1/23.

I DID just decide (based on some things I've read here) to go ahead and REFILE on EDD website. I am not even sure that was the right thing to do?! But I did, in hopes this might expedite my new claim and my next check's arrival.

I am praying that this letter I received is pretty much standard for what people are getting when their first claim year expires. It seems like everyone's letters say different things on the back to prepare to discuss. This makes me even more nervous; though it is possible that the EDD is so overwhelmed with all the changes of late, that they aren't yet handling every single situation the same way.

Does anyone have any further insights on this? Or any thoughts on my situation as explained above?

Thanks and good luck to all of you. This stinks!!

Old 01-14-2010, 11:22 AM

8,708 posts, read 11,921,435 times
I received an Additional Instructions form letter from EDD today. It said:

Please follow the instructions below. Failure to do so may result in denial of your benefits. Please include your name and Social Security number on any additional forms you mail to the EDD.

You are potentially eligible to file a new claim effective 01/03/10. We need your correct last employer information and last date worked before the claim can be filed and any payments can be issued. You may apply on-line at Employment Development Department, or call the 1-800 telephone numbers above for assistance to complete the filing your claim.

I'm going to go to a One-Stop Career Center where they have EDD representatives and ask them about. I did re-file, though, and am expecting my last check from 2009.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:27 PM

eastbayrunr and moved - that is the same process that I went through. When I called in and asked them what I should do, they stated that since my year was up I needed to refile the claim. I am also worried about the delay since I have bills that are due and living from check to check is no help. Here is a link to some information I found online that summarizes the process: 1 year Time Up - Help eastbayrunr: I have my phone interview on Feb. 21 so I'll fill you in on what they tell me. My guess is that is the date they will reinstate my tier 2 benefits and hopefully pay me retroactive to the weeks I missed.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:28 PM

** Phone interview on Jan .21 **

Old 01-14-2010, 02:37 PM

ok, everyone. today i received a letter from EDD saying that they filed a new claim for me that began on 1/3/10 and expires on 1/3/11 and that unless my information has changed from the last time i filed no action was needed on my part. new claim will be for a max of $9k. also does not indicate i need another interview. woo hoo!

so, do i send back the claim form i received from my last check? do they send me a new claim form? i'm thinking i send in my form as usual on the 17th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment