U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-23-2010, 01:46 PM

73 posts, read 136,153 times
Default state income taxes on unemployment benefits in NJ

Hello. I have read that you do not have to pay state income taxes if you collect unemployment benefits in New Jersey. I just want to be sure about this. Also, if you do not have to pay state income taxes on unemployment benefits in NJ, do you still have to send in the state tax return form if your only source of income in 2009 was from unemployment benefits? Thanks for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 PM

5,308 posts, read 9,139,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oombahey View Post
Hello. I have read that you do not have to pay state income taxes if you collect unemployment benefits in New Jersey. I just want to be sure about this. Also, if you do not have to pay state income taxes on unemployment benefits in NJ, do you still have to send in the state tax return form if your only source of income in 2009 was from unemployment benefits? Thanks for any replies!
wishful thinking, I doubt it. Im sure you got to pay tax unless it was taken out. I do believe we are except 2400. SOmeone let us know?????

Old 01-23-2010, 06:35 PM

165 posts, read 262,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oombahey View Post

NJ does not tax unemployment insurance, but the Federal gov't does. I assume that you still have to file NJ form even though you didn't work in 2009. You should call to be sure though. I am holding off on filing the Federal, waiting to see if they pass any further suspension with the Jobs bill pending (wishful thinking can't hurt).

Old 03-17-2010, 11:31 AM

53 posts, read 133,261 times
Good news - just spoke to NJ Taxation and they said that you do not have to file a NJ tax return if the Unemployment Insurance Income is your only income from NJ.

Here's a related question in their FAQ - Answers to Frequently Asked Questions - NJ Taxation

Old 03-17-2010, 12:16 PM

1,828 posts, read 2,862,597 times
I was wishing the same for Michigan but I cant find a thing about it anywhere. So I'm guessing I pay

Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 PM

833 posts, read 1,004,751 times
I work in NY, but live in NJ. My wife worked in NJ, but is not unemployed. I know that NJ doesn't tax unemployment benefits in NJ, but when using H&R Block, it looks like they are including my wife's NJ unemployment benefits as NYS income tax. Is that correct?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:12 PM

13,863 posts, read 17,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I work in NY, but live in NJ. My wife worked in NJ, but is not unemployed. I know that NJ doesn't tax unemployment benefits in NJ, but when using H&R Block, it looks like they are including my wife's NJ unemployment benefits as NYS income tax. Is that correct?
Doesn't make sense. What does NYS have to do with your wife's NJ unemployment benefits, since you also live in NJ?

You better ask them their reasoning.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:36 AM

208 posts, read 283,022 times
h&r blockheads

Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 AM

269 posts, read 361,686 times
You DO have to file a federal return. Line 19 on Form 1040 specifically asks for it.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 AM

2,367 posts, read 3,521,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
wishful thinking, I doubt it. Im sure you got to pay tax unless it was taken out. I do believe we are except 2400. SOmeone let us know?????
That exemption is no longer. All unemployment income from 2010 must be put on the federal form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment