U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:49 AM

296 posts, read 596,754 times

Advertisements

I don't know if there already is a thread on this subject but I am really fed up with employers nowadays. Several friends of mine have been unemployed for about a year now and have been looking for jobs and every time they are told that they will be able to start a certain day (and even fill out the HR forms) they get told by an email the day before they start that they are "going in a different direction". What is wrong with these employers? Why would they do that to someone who you know is so thankful for the job only to be told flippantly that the job is no longer theirs. These employers really need to change their way of dealing with people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:04 AM

5,560 posts, read 10,603,368 times
This has actually happened to me with a well known manufacturer. I was lucky that the company I was leaving didn't want me to and I was able to continue with them but what would I have done if that wasn't an option? I don't know if this is something worth suing over but where your livelihood is involved it should be.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:06 PM

1,650 posts, read 2,371,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samstersmom View Post
I don't know if there already is a thread on this subject but I am really fed up with employers nowadays. Several friends of mine have been unemployed for about a year now and have been looking for jobs and every time they are told that they will be able to start a certain day (and even fill out the HR forms) they get told by an email the day before they start that they are "going in a different direction". What is wrong with these employers? Why would they do that to someone who you know is so thankful for the job only to be told flippantly that the job is no longer theirs. These employers really need to change their way of dealing with people.
I had two employers call me and sound really interested. They scheduled interviews. I was all excited about the interview and even made preparation. Then the next day they called and said that the position had been filled. I didn't even get a chance to sell myself.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:23 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,130,547 times
That is just awful. I'm sorry to hear it. I would be SO livid if that happened to me. I wish I had advice.

I wish this entire economy would get better. Soon.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:27 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,955,347 times
One time, years ago, my husband was hired at some company..it's so long ago I don't recall all the details.

Well, the next day the guy calls him back and says "We made a mistake. You're not the guy we want!"

He was flabbergasted. Then again, look at it this way, these places must be full of idiots if they make mistakes like this.

"Going in another direction' is probably a nice way of saying the boss's nephew got the job instead.

It would be great if it became an employees market again.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 PM

9 posts, read 6,731 times
Let me just share my experience with you. I worked for a temp agency for 5 years at a pharmaceutical company. Since my contract was for a year at a time, the temp agency would lay me off for 6 months and the pharmaceutical company would contact the temp agency requesting me once the 6 months were up. I always wondered why they never hired me so I inquired. The response I was given was, "there's no money in the budget" so I still continued to do my work. Well, my co-worker which is the golden child had his niece come onboard as a temp. She had been there not even 3 months. A position in another department opened up, she applied for it, she did the interview and they didn't like her. Well, she came upstairs cryin to her uncle. Next thing I know, a position in my department opens up and my manager tells me to apply for it. I applied and never heard anything else about it. Next thing I know, the golden child's niece was offered a different job and the job I applied for had been frozen. The moral of the story is.....employers know who they want. They open the positions to the public bc they have to. Don't be discouraged. Sometimes we have to start from the bottom and work our way up. Good luck

Old 12-27-2010, 01:23 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,661,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki718 View Post
Let me just share my experience with you. I worked for a temp agency for 5 years at a pharmaceutical company. Since my contract was for a year at a time, the temp agency would lay me off for 6 months and the pharmaceutical company would contact the temp agency requesting me once the 6 months were up. I always wondered why they never hired me so I inquired. The response I was given was, "there's no money in the budget" so I still continued to do my work. Well, my co-worker which is the golden child had his niece come onboard as a temp. She had been there not even 3 months. A position in another department opened up, she applied for it, she did the interview and they didn't like her. Well, she came upstairs cryin to her uncle. Next thing I know, a position in my department opens up and my manager tells me to apply for it. I applied and never heard anything else about it. Next thing I know, the golden child's niece was offered a different job and the job I applied for had been frozen. The moral of the story is.....employers know who they want. They open the positions to the public bc they have to. Don't be discouraged. Sometimes we have to start from the bottom and work our way up. Good luck
That is a very strange set up. I don't understand why someone would temp for 5 yrs and be sent to the same company. After the first year I would have inquired as to why am I not being hired full time.

I also never heard of a temp agency laying someone off for 6 months. When an assignment ends they want to place you in another one, they don't want you collecting UE benefits. In fact they're known to fight UE claims, even when the temp is entitled to them.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 AM

141 posts, read 213,226 times
I don't believe a single second that large corporations don't promote internally. Internal recruiters interview outside candidates to justify their job but 99% of the time, the position is filled internally. How could they lay-off their own employees and hire an outsider when there are dozens of qualified candidates internally?
Finding a job is like selling. You have to qualify very hard and not waste your time and energy. Lots of so-called job openings don't even exist. Job listings are a way for a Company to give their prospects, customers and competitors the illusion that they're doing fine, but in reality, they're not increasing their staff. They also want to collect as many resumes from their competitors' employees as possible and gather competitive information.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:54 PM

14,382 posts, read 19,160,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
How could they lay-off their own employees and hire an outsider when there are dozens of qualified candidates internally?
Well, there are exceptions to this. My former employer laid off about 100 people, 35 or so in my former category, about 18 months ago. Today I see on our local job board two openings - same position I had held - also posted on their company website. So, now they're looking to bring in someone off the street who will be virtually useless for a year learning the technology - numerous software programs - not to mention firm procedures - vs. people who had been there 20 years or more and knew everything?

Oh, yeah. I think it is also a matter of changing the culture in the workplace, not just saving money. I get the sense from one posting, salary is about 50% of what I had been paid - yet job expectations are identical. But this firm is very rich - $$ are not that important, really, I don't think. HR people were complaining a year before the layoffs, however, there was too much accrued paid time off for all these senior people. So, I think that was an issue even before the $$.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:34 PM

14,382 posts, read 19,160,414 times
To add to the above, I did write the Human Resources Director yesterday and said I would be more than happy to resume my old position - which was one of those posted. Told her it was a shame to waste my 26 years of institutional knowledge and technology expertise.

Can hardly wait to hear what she has to say. http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment