U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-06-2010, 09:36 PM

244 posts, read 450,635 times
Oombahey, enough with you. Dont you have food stamps to go pick up or something? You dont know when to quit. Scram. This thread has a valued topic regardless of who opened it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:08 AM

73 posts, read 136,331 times
No davebj2009, YOU are the one who should scram you little sissy. Sorry, no food stamps for me, but you obviously also have a problem with people who ARE collecting food stamps. Just do everyone a favor and go crawl back under your rock , but don't forget to cry to the moderators again before you do. And please don't get the pretty pink dress that I got for you dirty....

Old 02-12-2010, 09:02 AM

21 posts, read 75,378 times
Actually I fulfill my Tier 4 (EB) benefits in mid-March. The first wave is in MARCH....very scary!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,564 times
OK, as per below, I've been paid Federal benefits from Nov 14 to last week, 2/9/2010. That's not twenty weeks. Today was told 'no more benefits are due.' Seems like our state, MO, UE associates, really don't understand the number of weeks. Who enters the info into their UE 'system' so checks are paid? What a mess! Can somone please share some insight? Thanks.

The new extensions add a total of UP to 20 weeks. Please review information below. On Friday, November 6, 2009, President Obama signed new federal legislation making further unemployment extension benefits available. The first eligible week for the new extensions is the week starting Sunday, November 8, 2009. Because the new extensions are not retroactive, they do not apply to any weeks of unemployment prior to the enactment date of November 8. The new extensions do add a total of UP to 20 more weeks of benefits available to those who have run out of all available benefits. The new extension benefits include UP to one week added to the second federal extension, a new third federal extension for UP to 13 weeks and a new fourth federal extension for UP to 6 weeks. Thank you for your inquiry

Old 02-16-2010, 01:49 PM

1,244 posts, read 2,114,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doing4HIM View Post
OK, as per below, I've been paid Federal benefits from Nov 14 to last week, 2/9/2010. That's not twenty weeks. Today was told 'no more benefits are due.' Seems like our state, MO, UE associates, really don't understand the number of weeks. Who enters the info into their UE 'system' so checks are paid? What a mess! Can somone please share some insight? Thanks.

The new extensions add a total of UP to 20 weeks. Please review information below. On Friday, November 6, 2009, President Obama signed new federal legislation making further unemployment extension benefits available. The first eligible week for the new extensions is the week starting Sunday, November 8, 2009. Because the new extensions are not retroactive, they do not apply to any weeks of unemployment prior to the enactment date of November 8. The new extensions do add a total of UP to 20 more weeks of benefits available to those who have run out of all available benefits. The new extension benefits include UP to one week added to the second federal extension, a new third federal extension for UP to 13 weeks and a new fourth federal extension for UP to 6 weeks. Thank you for your inquiry
What Tier are you in? Looking at the following you should be able to determine your current tier.

1. State Initial Benefits - up to 26 weeks (if less than 26 weeks, your Tiers will be pro-rated accordingly).
2. Federal EUC Tier I - up to 20 weeks
3. Federal EUC Tier II - up to 14 weeks (the 14th week was a package deal with 13 weeks Tier II, and 6 weeks Tier IV = 20 weeks total).
4. Federal EUC Tier III - up to 13 weeks
5. Federal EUC Tier IV - up to 6 weeks

MISSOURI State Extended Benefits (EB): With the passage of the Worker Assistance Act, which provides for additional EUC08 benefits, no new state EB claims can be filed with an effective date of November 29, 2009 or later.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:25 AM

244 posts, read 450,635 times
So in about 8 weeks from today, the 1st wave of people will reach their 99 week maximum of unemployment (completing all extensions available). Is there any statistic available that would estimate how many people we are talking about? I mean, is it in the hundreds of thousands or much less? Im trying to put it into perspective when comparing it to the the amount of people last time when there were no more extensions and all that activity was happening in congress to add more weeks.

The amount of people on this first wave may determine how quickly the government reacts (if they even react at all).

Last edited by davenj2009; 02-18-2010 at 07:35 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 09:00 AM

21 posts, read 75,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj2009 View Post
So in about 8 weeks from today, the 1st wave of people will reach their 99 week maximum of unemployment (completing all extensions available). Is there any statistic available that would estimate how many people we are talking about? I mean, is it in the hundreds of thousands or much less? Im trying to put it into perspective when comparing it to the the amount of people last time when there were no more extensions and all that activity was happening in congress to add more weeks.

The amount of people on this first wave may determine how quickly the government reacts (if they even react at all).

Almost, if not more than a million. Cross your fingers...

Old 02-22-2010, 09:17 AM

3,244 posts, read 3,278,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj2009 View Post
I decided to start this thread because this is ultimately what many people are going to want to know very soon. As of right now, to my understanding (and I may be wrong), the government is only thinking about stretching the deadlines to move on to the next tier which will assist anybody going on to tier 1,2,3 and EB however, for the people on tier 3 now that will go on to tier 4 in around 2 weeks(from today's date 2.2.2010) from now....we have 8 weeks left of unemployment and that is it. We will be totally exhausted. Many will lose their homes. many will starve. Many will not be able to feed their kids. The government, at this point, doesnt seem to be addressing what will happen to those who are going to be totally finished. I know a line must get drawn but are they going to let all of these people go hungry in 8 weeks? I believe I read somewhere that ultimately, welfare would actually cost more federal money than it does to keep the unemployment going. Not to mention that if people don't have any money, they wont be spending money and the local businesses will suffer too. The Government seriously has to weigh out what is more expensive. Keep people on unemployment or deal with the further damage that happens to the economy when nobody has anything to spend.

Extending the deadlines is very very important and I know that however, the people who will finish tier 4 ( again, the 1st wave is 8 weeks away) are in serious trouble. The 1st wave will be the 1st week of April.

If anybody gets an important info regarding any talks of extending the weeks of tier 4 or adding a tier 5, please let us all know. The job market is still terrible out there and many Americans need another lifeline for the essentials.
I've been wondering that myself. My max is 60 weeks, which is the end of March. If UI isn't extended, I'll apply for Welfare, medical help and Food Stamps. I know I can get the food, but I'm not sure about the welfare and medicalI think that would ultimately cost more than the UI/COBRA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
How about government start focusing money on ways that will put more people to work even if it means having a modern-day version of the 1930s WPA? In the long run, that will be the most cost-effective thing they can do without creating a societal catastrophe.
I'd be for this. My Grandfather had work through the WPA for a while. I'm sure there'd be some way I could help with public work projects.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,652 times
I am finished with my last tier of benefits. I have no more UNEMPLOYMENT now what....
I received my last check for $33.00 for week ending February 21st PLEASE HELP!!!!

1. State Initial Benefits - up to 26 weeks (if less than 26 weeks, your Tiers will be pro-rated accordingly).
3. Federal EUC Tier II - up to 14 weeks (the 14th week was a package deal with 13 weeks Tier II, and 6 weeks Tier IV = 20 weeks total).

Old 02-25-2010, 06:29 PM

199 posts, read 271,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseybird2006 View Post
I am finished with my last tier of benefits. I have no more UNEMPLOYMENT now what....
I received my last check for $33.00 for week ending February 21st PLEASE HELP!!!!

I WILL BE THERE SOON
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment