U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2010, 10:29 AM

2,041 posts, read 2,395,400 times
Default Cancelled Interview

Well, I had a third interview with this company and was informed this morning to "hang on" for a bit b/c they are going to give the person, I am assuming I was going to replace, another chance. I was originally suppose to meet with them yesterday and they rescheduled the interview for Monday. I had a feeling that the "scheduling conflict" was not the real reason behind changing the interview for some reason, though.

Now, before anyone says "Well, you would not want to work with them anyway for jerking you around", I am so in need of a job right now and was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. They told me after the last interview (2nd), that they were going to give her another chance then as well.....

I just don't understand why they would contact me again after serveral months to see if I was still available to just ultimately tell me nevermind! I wish the last company that I worked for would have given me a second chance. I was let go with no explaination and was not even aware that I was even going to be terminated.

I am just so frustrated.....How should I respond to this email or should I just let it go and not even waste my time?

Last edited by emeraldgirl; 02-26-2010 at 11:19 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 10:56 AM

144 posts, read 304,581 times
I can understand your frustration, but I have learned to operate in this economy under the theory "self preservation is the name of the game". I would answer the e-mail and meet with them on Monday. If they want to wait a little longer, keep looking for a job but don't tell them. If one comes up first, take it. If not, what have you lost?

Another view on the "Well, you would not want to work with them anyway for jerking you around", is they are willing to give the person another chance. Seems to me they are trying to give the benefit of the doubt to the employee (or cover their butts). Whatever the reason, I think working for that type of employer couldn't be all bad.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes on Monday.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan815 View Post
I would answer the e-mail and meet with them on Monday.

Another view on the "Well, you would not want to work with them anyway for jerking you around", [color=black]is they are willing to give the person another chance. Seems to me they are trying to give the benefit of the doubt to the employee (or cover their butts).
In the email they sent me, they stated that the interview on Monday is no longer necessary since they have decided not to fire the other person. I am not going to put myself or them in an awkward situation.

I understand that they are willing to give this empolyee the benefit of the doubt but why even contact me about the position in the first place? I was never under the impression that I automatically had the job but just another chance at an opportunity.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:37 AM

3,768 posts, read 3,936,652 times
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. I know how much that sucks. I hope something else comes along for you.

You could thank them gracefully for letting you know and offer that if anything should change to contact you or keep your information on file.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:02 PM

144 posts, read 304,581 times
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought they wanted you to go in Monday anyway. Either they are interested in you in the event they have to terminate the current employee and are hoping you wait around for them or they made an excuse. Whatever the reason, I would just thank them for the consideration they showed you and ask that they keep your resume on file in the event an opportunity presents itself. Unfortunately, in this economy, stories like yours are not uncommon. Hopefully you will get another opportunity soon. Good Luck.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:10 PM

3,234 posts, read 3,264,106 times
[quote=EMERALDGIRL;13067389]Well, I had a third interview with this company and was informed this morning to "hang on" for a bit b/c they are going to give the person, I am assuming I was going to replace, another chance. I was originally suppose to meet with them yesterday and they rescheduled the interview for Monday. I had a feeling that the "scheduling conflict" was not the real reason behind changing the interview for some reason, though.

Now, before anyone says "Well, you would not want to work with them anyway for jerking you around", I am so in need of a job right now and was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. They told me after the last interview (2nd), that they were going to give her another chance then as well.....

I just don't understand why they would contact me again after serveral months to see if I was still available to just ultimately tell me nevermind! I wish the last company that I worked for would have given me a second chance. I was let go with no explaination and was not even aware that I was even going to be terminated.

I am just so frustrated.....How should I respond to this email or should I just let it go and not even waste my time?[/quote/]

So sorry this happened to you. It really sucks.

Maybe they pay her/him less. I've seen that happen before - the company will start interviewing people, and discover that the 'great pay' they think they are offering is much lower than market. All of a sudden, the deadwood they were going to replace has 'improved' their performance.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:22 PM

53 posts, read 113,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
Well, I had a third interview with this company and was informed this morning to "hang on" for a bit b/c they are going to give the person, I am assuming I was going to replace, another chance. I was originally suppose to meet with them yesterday and they rescheduled the interview for Monday. I had a feeling that the "scheduling conflict" was not the real reason behind changing the interview for some reason, though.

I am just so frustrated.....How should I respond to this email or should I just let it go and not even waste my time?
I had a interview for Monday at 3pm. The owner called me that morning and canceled telling me they are now delaying the opening of his new store. The one chance I had in weeks, right down the tubes with a single phone call

Old 02-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cep2535 View Post
I had a interview for Monday at 3pm. The owner called me that morning and canceled telling me they are now delaying the opening of his new store. The one chance I had in weeks, right down the tubes with a single phone call
That is such a horrible feeling....a chance of hope diminished in an instant! Sorry to hear that.

I was never overly excited about the interview I had considering their track record, but I really felt good about things for the first time in months this past week. I was hoping my luck was going to change, finally.

Back to the job hunt......

Old 02-27-2010, 02:28 PM

1,650 posts, read 2,307,925 times
I had two cancelled interviews about a few months ago. One scheduled the interview and then called me back before the interview, to tell me it was cancelled. The other left a message on my cell phone saying that they already hired someone before my interview. i wanted to cry. I mean these employers should know that we want to escape the jobless rolls. Why do they treat people like sh#$?

Old 02-27-2010, 04:07 PM

17 posts, read 27,518 times
I've had a lot of interviews go south as well since I got laid off. They told me that I was all but hired and then they canceled the positions, much to my angst.

There is hope though. My father runs a department in a major company and he is just waiting for the okay to hire again. When I was laid off, all the projects I was spearheading for my company were put on hold. I also know how badly companies that my friends/my father's friends need people as well. Things are all on hold, but the need for people is there. It was there before the start of this great recession and companies need people even more now. They are just waiting for things to stabilize, and there are signs that stabilization has started.

Just keep at it, and never loose faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment