U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2010, 03:26 PM
 
169 posts, read 174,899 times
Reputation: 52

Advertisements

I hope this will help all of us that are catagorized as long term unemployed and i hope that anyone with knowledge of whats going on for us in the senate will post here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2010, 03:33 PM
 
1,828 posts, read 2,917,566 times
Reputation: 596
I dont see anything pass the 99 weeks, I'm hoping they at least extend out till end of year so I can still get my EB here in Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2010, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
14,255 posts, read 18,798,636 times
Reputation: 6808
We already have four or five threads going on extensions which affect everyone regardless of their state.

There are two threads established for NJ - one dealing with extensions, another dealing with possible change in $$ amount of unemployment benefits going forward.

NJ: Unemployment Extension Tiers

NJ Governor Proposes Changes to State UI System
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2010, 04:45 PM
 
169 posts, read 174,899 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
We already have four or five threads going on extensions which affect everyone regardless of their state.

There are two threads established for NJ - one dealing with extensions, another dealing with possible change in $$ amount of unemployment benefits going forward.

NJ: Unemployment Extension Tiers

NJ Governor Proposes Changes to State UI System
thank you, i am aware of that, but the needs of the long term unemployed are much different then those of others...as a long term unemployed person perhaps we can share ideas and recent events to help us know whats going on...people still moving from tier to tier are being addressed by the senate now...nothing is being addressed for the long term though..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2010, 06:42 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
478 posts, read 1,029,917 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane 08753 View Post
thank you, i am aware of that, but the needs of the long term unemployed are much different then those of others...as a long term unemployed person perhaps we can share ideas and recent events to help us know whats going on...people still moving from tier to tier are being addressed by the senate now...nothing is being addressed for the long term though..........
Not much is spoken of for long term unemployed, aka Tier5.

Read a few days ago Senator Schumer, Charles E. of NY did bring up the idea for a Tier5..but never heard a word since about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2010, 07:07 PM
 
19 posts, read 24,269 times
Reputation: 39
I just sent Sen Schumer an email from his website asking him to not let Congress discriminate against the long term unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
 
16 posts, read 26,718 times
Reputation: 13
Thank you for starting this thread. I feel it is important to keep us long term unemployed informed. I know there has to be many of us I haven't seen them on the boards lately ( I hope they have found work but something tells me they haven't). The other boards are great but we have been there done that and sometimes it is frustrating just reading the same questions that were answered by us and some of the best people here. I hope we can continue to keep this thread open for those that are at the end( those last 6 weeks).If we hear anything please post and keep us informed. Thanks again for the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 01:05 AM
 
8 posts, read 12,038 times
Reputation: 12
I don't think there are any jobs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 01:08 AM
 
8 posts, read 12,038 times
Reputation: 12
I'm trying to be hopeful, but there are so many people out of work and only so many jobs available

I think they'll have to add a 4th tier, otherwise you've got so many millions coming off, and what are they gonna do

I've been out of work since February 2008 (over 2 years ... Christ!) and what I fight against is the depression that comes from not having worked for such a long while. You tend to blame yourself for not having a job, and its a vicious circle as that makes you miserable that you have to force yourself to look for a job despite it appearing hopeless

Its a terrible time, admittedly. How is everyone else doing mentally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 02:03 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 8,024,695 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinNJ View Post
I'm trying to be hopeful, but there are so many people out of work and only so many jobs available

I think they'll have to add a 4th tier, otherwise you've got so many millions coming off, and what are they gonna do

I've been out of work since February 2008 (over 2 years ... Christ!) and what I fight against is the depression that comes from not having worked for such a long while. You tend to blame yourself for not having a job, and its a vicious circle as that makes you miserable that you have to force yourself to look for a job despite it appearing hopeless

Its a terrible time, admittedly. How is everyone else doing mentally?
There are already four EUC Tiers:
Regular benefits - up to 26 weeks
EUC Tier I - up to 20 weeks
EUC Tier II - up to 14 weeks (includes 13 weeks originally passed + 1 week passed with Tier III)
Euc Tier III - up to 13 (state must have unemployment rate of at least 6% to trigger Tier III)
EUC Tier IV - up to 6 weeks (state must have unemployment rate of at least 8.5% to trigger Tier IV)
EB - up to 20 weeks (not all states offer EB; check you state's DOL website for availability of EB in your state)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top